Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - Ryan Clements

Hi guys I'm new to the forum so first and foremost hello everyone. I'm having a real issue with my Peugeot I haven't owned so long has a issue that while the engine is cold when I start it after the engine warms a little so the revs drop to a normal rate rather than slighty above 1k

The issue I have is the rev counter bounces up and down slightly however not to the point that it could stall or anything.

So far I have changed the oil, spark plugs? idle control valve, air filter. Also cleaned the butterfly flap on the throttle body

I noticed when I changed the spark plugs and I had to remove the coil pack it had a rattle in it i

I'm not too sure if this colud be a fault to the coil that causing my issue. I wondered if anyone had idea's of the problem and what I can do to change it.

Thank you Ryan

Edited by Ryan Clements on 13/09/2021 at 23:42

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - Railroad.

It definitely won't be the ignition coil. You most likely have a vacuum leak between the throttle valve and the inlet valves.

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - Ryan Clements

Is there any way of checking other than with propane? I'm just concerned obviously engine running and petrol and then obviously gas being a not nice combination haha. I find it strange that it starts doing it more when the car warms up but I guess masking it when it's cold could just be that the engine revs just above normal when cold. Thanks for getting back to me

To check for a vacuum leak you could either spray brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner around the inlet manifold and see if there's any change in the engine note. If there is you know you have a leak. Or you could use the more recommended method and connect a vacuum gauge and measure manifold vacuum which should be a steady reading of around 19 - 21 in-hg. A very low reading of around 10 in-hg would mean you have a vacuum leak.

Manifold vacuum is created when the throttle is closed and the engine running. In this situation there is a big pressure difference either side of the throttle valve. This is when any leak is most noticeable.

Play that's great thank you for your help and advice, is there a huge fire risk using the brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner?

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - elekie&a/c doctor

You would be better off using automotive smoke machine . Much safer and no fire risk. Cheap ones start at around £140 . or go for a pro machine at £500 plus.

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - bathtub tom

Play that's great thank you for your help and advice, is there a huge fire risk using the brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner?

Or WD40. I think you'll find most aerosols use butane propellant.

Of course there isn't a zero risk, but the risk is very low. Just be careful to avoid spraying anything onto the hot exhaust manifold which could catch alight if you're not careful.

Thanks so much everyone for replying I'll give it a good check for a vaccum leak in the next couple of days and I'll post my findings.

Thanks

Ryan

Okay so an update I've sprayed all along the intake and the lines with carb cleaner and nothing changed with the revs at all so I unplugged the idle control valve sensor and the engine then started running normally with the idle revs steady so I then plugged it back In to find that the car then carried on running normal. Does that mean the idle control valve is faulty or the fault is after that? I've already changed the idle control valve admittedly it was a ebay part I brought but I have tried 2 being as the seller offered to send me a other free of charge.

Thanks for your thoughts

Edited by Ryan Clements on 18/09/2021 at 18:34

Hi folks just wondered if anyone had any other ideas to try?

Remove the idle speed stepper motor but don't unplug it. Using brake or carburettor cleaner spray into the manifold to clean the seat, and onto the valve making sure you remove all the carbon. Use a cloth to wipe it clean too. Then lightly hold the stepper motor between your finger and thumb to prevent the valve coming all the way out, switch the ignition on and then off. The motor will turn and find its correct position. Make sure you allow it to move, but don't allow it to come apart. Switch the ignition on and off a couple of times, waiting a few seconds between each operation. Then refit the stepper motor making sure the O ring is properly seated. Switch the ignition on and then off. Finally start the engine. Hopefully now the correct idle position is found and the engine should idle as it should.

Hi Railroad when you say hold it between your finger and thumb do you mean the spring side and the back? Or do you mean with the stepper motor inserted back into the slot but not eoth the bolts holding it in? Thank you for getting back to me as I'm all out of ideas of what to do next.

Thanks

Ryan

Hi Railroad when you say hold it between your finger and thumb do you mean the spring side and the back?

Yes, that. When you switch the ignition on and off the plunger will move in and out. The ECM counts its steps between 1 and 255. The motor will turn until the correct position is reached. Once this position is correctly established switch off the ignition and wait a couple of seconds for the motor to set itself for the start position and then re-fit the stepper motor. Sounds complicated to explain, but it I could demonstrate it to you you'll see it's very straightforward and easy.

Okay I'll give it a go I wasn't sure it would start with the stepper motor out though it might just die but I guess not because I can unplug it and it sorts it's self out. I'll given it a go thanks RailRoad

Okay I'll give it a go I wasn't sure it would start with the stepper motor out though it might just die but I guess not because I can unplug it and it sorts it's self out. I'll given it a go thanks RailRoad

Don't start the engine with the stepper motor removed. Just switch the ignition on and off.

Right I see so just 2 clicks with the key? Or the first click? I think there's 3 clicks with the 3rd being the start up one

There shouldn't be any clicks. By the sounds of it you've allowed the plunger to come out of the body. Switch off the ignition and push it back in so it does click a few times. Then switch on the ignition whilst preventing the plunger coming right out. Then switch off the ignition and wait a couple of seconds. It should move to find its position. When it has refit the stepper motor.

Okay hopefully the weather stays dry after work and I can get it done. Thanks again I'll post an update.

Okay so an update folowing on from Rail roads Advice I haven't noticed any difference in the idle however I have tried a few things and noticed that if I rev the car to around 2k revs and then let go of the throttle the revs drop right down to around 500 almost stalling before going back to around 900 and then the surging happens. I've also noticed no matter what revs you get the engine up to if you hold the throttle at the point you can hear a slight bump kind of noise and the engine seems to bring the revs slightly down before going back up again I don't notice this driving however I'm not sure I would. it's almost like a misfire every 5 seconds when the throttle is down a bit... not sure if this could maybe bring some new advice? I've changed the spark plugs recently. And checked the exhaust for leaks

thanks again

Ryan

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - elekie&a/c doctor

I think I would be looking at the tps signal (throttle position sensor). A flaky voltage here could cause erratic idle conditions.

Once again it's raining here! Haha so no chance of checking any voltage just yet but could not be the sensor itself or the wiring?

Peugeot 106 - Peugeot 106 1.106 1.1 revving up and down when warm - Matthew Bonning
Any conclusion with this issue? I’m having a similar issue and have tried the same things you have.