why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - martin
There are many sites on the net for and against SUVs, mostly against though. Apart from the obvious (fuel consumption, danger) why are SUVs such a controversial drive? Is the abuse justified?
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - THe Growler
We have been here before. Envy would probably top my list of reasons.
it all depends on the model, some SUVs are certainly not envyable. The smaller, pert models with less brick like features are considerably better, not to mention airodynamic than the concret blocks that you sometimes see, i.e Nissans, Land Cruisers look damned awful.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Marcos{P}
I'm not sure it's the actual SUV's that people have a problem with maybe just the attitude of some of the drivers. ie I'm bigger than you so you will move out of my way and I will cut you up.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - bartycrouch
I dislike the majority of them, because they warp the design objectives that I like to see in cars. We end up with the absurd situation of Porsche releasing an SUV simply because it needs to produce a sufficient volume of vehicles (and profit) to maintain its independence.

The question I would ask is "are they a step forward in car design?" You could argue MPVs like the Espace and Scenic have benefits that other vehicles cannot give you, but the benefits of SUVs are often so illusory I just cannot see the point for the majority of drivers - in the UK at least.

why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - martint123
I think they turn their drivers into bullies who think they are invincible.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Vagelis
bartycrouch - I agree with you, I think SUVs are another newly-discovered "need". Especially the Cayenne looks to me like a Fiat Seicento Sporting edition with bigger wheels and increased height from the road! Really! Just look at it and imagine the seicento!

Vagelis.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Altea Ego
Of course the abuse is justified. They are too big for the job they do, intimidate other road users, use more of the earths resources than they should, and they scream brash snob value, and look at me attitude. If anyone offered me a brand new Range Rover in exchange for my Laguna, well I would rip his hand off his arm and be gone in the Range Rover in a flash.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - No Do$h
I'm just checking my watch. Have we really had an anti SUV thread without Mark making reference to consumer choice? For more than 8 minutes and 20 seconds (the previous record)?

Only kidding Mark, but I can't help but express my surprise at your restraint!
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Mark (RLBS)
>>I'm just checking my watch. Have we really had an anti SUV thread without Mark making reference to consumer choice? For more than 8 minutes and 20 seconds (the previous record)?

>>Only kidding Mark, but I can't help but express my surprise at your restraint!

The restraint comes from thinking there is little point. There seems to be three types; the jealous, the freaks who think they have something to say about other peoples' lives, and the much smaller group of those who genuinely think that there are difficulties with how an SUV is driven. Only the last group have any sympathy from me.

The amusement comes from noticing how often the "take away the choice for an SUV" stance comes from the same people outraged about speed cameras, traffic calming etc.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - JohnM{P}
'apart from the obvious (fuel consumption, danger)' - isn't that enough? That's danger to other car drivers - if I remember correctly, when the German ADAC crashed a large 4x4 against a Kadette, it decapitated the Kadette (without protecting its occupants either, the passenger cell collapsed from underneath).

Come the revolution, I'd ban all 4x4's intended for mainly road use - those with metallic paint or alloy wheels or leather upholstery, etc... :-)
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - CMark {P}
Yeah, I know you're mainly talking about the UK but here is the exception that proves the rule...(there is always one)

I currently own a Mercedes G-wagon with metallic paint which I have driven through "bush" so thick in West Africa that you could not walk through it; I own a Grand Cherokee with alloy wheels which I use as co-founder and ex-chairman of the Jordan 4x4 Club and I own a 17-year old Range Rover with 150,000 miles on the clock in which we compete in the Jordan National Rally Championship. Lots of fun with high fuel consumption and high danger. Check out groups.msn.com/dutyunpaidcars/june2003.msnw
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Aprilia
My wife's friend drives one. She smallish and rather a nervous driver. She has great difficulty in judging its size and over the last two years has had two accidents reversing into other vehicles (one of which was a Vaux. Monterey - poetic justice).
She'd be much better off with a Micra Auto. Kids have grown up so there's only her in it, just going to the gym and shopping. Would be cheaper to book a taxi - or even a limo service!
Oh goody!

Can you just tip us off with the name of the town that this lady frequents so we can cross it off the list of places to visit?
--
If I don't reply it's nowt personal, I'm just working!
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Jim M
I agree with GRowler, pure envy. Nothing is said about all the commercials that are on the roads or more to the point straddling the pavement while delivering goods. as to driver ability check out the next tranny van thats 6" from your rear.
rgs
Jim
Commercial vehicles often appear in these threads. The difference is, we no longer have a rail structure capable of transporting the majority of a our freight so commercials have become an "essential" (although if we all tried to consume local seasonal produce instead of insisting on having baby sweetcorn from zanzibar in the middle of winter the roads may be just a teeny bit quieter) so people tend to accept that LGVs are there for good.

SUVs on the other hand are a lifestyle statement for many and essential for a few. Like so many vehicles, an emotive decision.

I agree that envy represents a lot of the resentment against SUVs, but there is a very real increase in the risk of death or serious injury of you are in an accident with an SUV. Some may accept the risk of the "essential" LGV, but why have the risks increased by a mobile ornament to your wallet, possibly weighing close on 3 tonnes, driven by someone with no additional training?

N D

Just call me Devil's Advocate
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Ian (Cape Town)
I'll agree with Aprilia on this one - the majority of off-roaders about on this side of the world are pure on-road vehicles.
Unfortunately the drivers, who are normally of the fairer-sex, have probably graduated up to the behemoth from a compact, and do not realise that their vehicle is larger, will need a bit more stopping, can't corner as fast, and is a pig to manoeuvre in carparks when the toddlers are screaming in the back.
Also, the invincibility factor is there - hubby wishes the family to be safe, so buys them a tank. Great logic there, BUT... because of this, they tend to drive more aggresively.
and Monkeys to the other road-users they are going to crunch...
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - volvoman
Sorry Jim - diasagree, plenty is said about commercials and the anti-social antics of white van man!

Also disagree with the envy argument in the main. Sure some people are envious of all sorts of things but the majority of drivers choose not to buy SUV's - if they wanted one there's nothing stopping them is there.
ps - at least there's an identifiable need for commercial vehicles. As has been mentioned above, most bull bar equipped and heavily tinted SUV's seem to be driven by middle aged women taking the kids to school or going to the shops. Perhaps they feel safe in a big car even though many can't seem to drive them properly. I don't envy anyone who owns an SUV 'cos I don't want or need one. If I needed to combine off-road and urban driving however I'd probably get one rather than own another car.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - T Lucas
I love them,bigger the better.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Steve S
How about people being allowed to buy what they want?

All this tosh about the attitude of people who drive SUVs. Bad attitude knows no boundaries when it comes to make or type of car.

Anyone who buys an SUV pays handsomely through the nose for fuel etc. I say let them. What's next? Sports cars because they aren't really necessary? What is "necessary"?

On this basis the world gets duller and duller. Jeeze, doncha just get fed up with this "I don't approve therefore it shouldn't be allowed" nonsense.
I don't know who said they should be banned Steve or that people shouldn't be allowed to own them. Perhaps I missed that bit somewhere. Choice is great and adds to the diversity of our lives. However in a modern society rights and freedoms often conflict and at that point difficult decisions have to be made. If your argument is that providing you pay for something you have the right to own it and use it freely, what would you say if that 3rd party freedom adversely affected yours ?
SUV's are clearlr more difficult to drive/ handle, especially for many women and their freedom to choose might just have very serious consequences for someone - even you/yours God forbid. I don't know what the answer is but it's not a simple question. Banning, however, has not been seriously suggested by anyone has it ? Surely people just need to be responsible and if they don't actually need an SUV they shouldn't buy one.
Sorry Volvoman but that just doesn't cut it. 4x4s are among the easiest of vehicles to drive with the best vision.

You and yours will not be in good shape if any vehicle comes into contact with them.

Nobody need feel irresponsible for buying anything! They need only use it responsibly.
>>and if they don't actually need an SUV they shouldn't buy one.

And you need a volvo for exactly what reason ? Surely there are more fuel efficient, less environmentally harmful vehicles ?

And what about cars that do less to the gallon than my Landcruiser, they need to be banned obviously. And I've seen people driving Mondeos when they only really need a Ka, so they need to be stopped.

And half the people could walk and use bicycles anyway, so we better stop them. And I do hope you haven't got anything else you don't need, like a house which is too big, or a DVD player, or more clothes than you actually need.

Anything you have to say about how they are driven is fair enough, and it is different to driving a car. Although why you should think it is anymore difficult for a woman than a man escapes me.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - bradgate
SUV\'s are clearlr more difficult to drive/ handle, especially
for many women....

Really???

May i ask what evidence you have to support this statement which - on the face of it - appears to be ignorant, patronising, outdated sexist rubbish?
politics of envy - eMBe {P}
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? Is the abuse justified? >>

No. Ignorance, or Politics of Envy. Pure & Simple. Equal rights and equal opportunities for all qualified drivers.

If a former world champion boxer in Brighton is allowed to drive an American Artic on public roads, why should we discriminate against " ... the drivers, who are normally of the fairer-sex, have probably graduated up to the behemoth from a compact, and do not realise that their vehicle is larger .. " as long as their licence entitles them to drive SUVs?

SUVism should be made illegal.
politics of envy - volvoman
Does the fact that something is allowed under current legislation mean that it is right, fair, or even sensible ? Shouldn't we be using our common sense and trying to improve the law so that as far as possible, and without restricting all our freedoms, common sense prevails. At present, for example, recently qualified drivers can go out and buy/drive what amounts to a supercar at the maximum speed limit. Is that wise or sensible ? Sure, preventing this won't stop all accidents and will make life a little less exciting for some but it will reduce the number of accidents and isn't that what we all want ? It is currently legal to manufacture/sell cars with relatively poor safety ratings. Does that make it right ? Shouldn't the law ensure that every vehicle is manufactured to the highest possible standard within the limits of what is reasonable achievable?
If that means that car design becomes more homogenous isn't that a price worth paying ?

Balancing rights and freedoms is very difficult but what's true is that most people are all for freedom until the bloke next door chooses to use his to annoy you and at that point it's surprising how many people suddenly change their opinion.
politics of envy - P 2501
Quite a few years ago now i was a passenger in my fathers car which he was driving. we were on a B road near us which is well known for accidents and as we approached a corner, a large off-roader rounded the bend looking dangerously out of control. It then proceeded to swerve and tilt over on to two wheels, began to roll and ultimately ended up rolling up onto the bonnet of our car. I was fairly young at the time and as it was my first car crash, i was shaken up a bit. When everything stopped, we exited our car to see a group of young women doing likewise, and a girl getting out of the drivers side door. upon seeing us the very first words she uttered were, and i will never forget them, "i'm sorry, it's my dads car and it's too big for me". She was young, around 18-20 years of age. I am not a sexist or ageist driver, but i do believe that a person of her age should be strongly discouraged from driving these SUVs.or indeed other "unsuitable" vehicles.
Volvoman is quite right here, but so are others, who believe in freedom of choice.But when freedom of choice becomes dangerous to others around you, is it time to act?
politics of envy - Blue {P}
Not wanting to get involved too much with this issue, but I'll bet her dad was pleased that she was driving his SUV because she was safer in the accident. Overlooking the fact that it wouldn't have occured in the first place if she had been driving a Fiesta...

And that's as far as I'm getting involved because this issue will never ever reach a conclusion!

Blue
volvoman and others: if you believe SUVs are dangerous, or should need a special licence, or must not be driven by certain age or sex groups; stop whingeing and instead can start a campaign to get the law changed. Start writing first to Ken (he can ban SUVs quicker in London), and then your MPs to extend the new law to the rest of the UK (and then the World).

By the way, I do not drive a SUV nor an Estate. I drive a saloon (rwd) - are they more dangerous than FWD? Should they be fitted with speed limiters, power limiters, capacity limiters, ???
politics of envy - P 2501
I never said anything about wanting the law changed eMBe.i was merely agreeing with volvoman that some common sense should be exercised in this area. i don't want to see SUV's or any other kind of car banned.(except perhaps G reg novas driven by teenagers in baseball caps). But don't you think that girls father should have said- " hang on, i'm not sure it's a good idea you driving that landcruiser,why not take your mums fiesta instead?" assuming they had a fiesta that is.
BTW i am not whingeing, just contributing to a forum discussion like all the others here.
politics of envy - Ian (Cape Town)
eMBe,
Quick questions:
Have you/do you:
1 Been driving long (and by that I mean having been a varied-distance/conditions driver, not just a school-run/office commute driver)?
2 Driven a wide range of vehicles?
3 Know your limitations?
4 Frightened yourself silly in a vehicle on occasion?
5 Tried to be too clever, and nearly killed yourself? (see 4 above)

I can answer "yes" to all - which I believe makes me a better driver.
Ian(C.T): Yes to 1 to 4. (once for 4,3 weeks after passing test, learnt my lesson, then never again). I do not claim to be a better driver than anyone. I am always willing to learn from the mistakes of others.

Duffy: Of course it was the father's fault for allowing the daughter to drive a car she was incapable of handling. I fully agree, but if the law required a special licence for SUVs, it might have stopped her?. But as you will see from my profile, I try to see the point of view of others. My remark about whingers was a general one, not personal. In my book, whingers are those who habitually moan about motoring issues on this forum but never take postive action to put matters right (unlike volvoman, who does take positive action). Unless "whingers" becomes a "pink-fluffy-dice" word, I will use it in debates in this forum. It draws out interesting responses.
It is imprortant to remember that not everyone who owns a 4x4 uses it exclusively for the school run and trips to the supermarket.

My partner drives a Discovery TDI (one of the few reliable ones!) and uses it to tow her horsebox to competitions around the country. It may surprise some Londoners to learn that in Leicestershire, where we live, this sort of thing is considered quite normal behaviour.

The fact is that, outside the M25, many thousands of people who own \'proper\' 4x4s have a genuine job for the vehicle to do and are perfectly justified in owning one.
>>and are perfectly justified in owning one.

I have *THE* perfect justification;

I wanted one.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - GrumpyOldGit
I don't hate them or envy their owners - if I wanted one I could afford to have one, albeit a used model. I do think, though, that is wrong that 4x4s should be exempt from current car safety legislation on the grounds that they are agricultural vehicles.

That is obviously ludicrous and should be changed immediately so that 4x4s have to meet the same safety standards as other cars.
The occupants of most 4x4s in collision with another similar or larger vehicle have a much higher risk of serious injury than those in a car.
>>that is wrong that 4x4s should be exempt from current car safety legislation on the grounds that they are agricultural vehicles.

I would agree with that. I would also agree with different driving licence requirements.

>>The occupants of most 4x4s in collision with another similar or larger vehicle have a much higher risk of serious injury than those in a car.

I'm not sure. If I'm going to be hit by a truck I think I'd rather be in a Landcruiser than a Micra, whatever their relative safety levels - beyond the basics of belts and bags.

In a Micra, virtually everything would be bigger then me and hurt. In a Landcruiser, whilst there are still plenty of bigger things, there is definitely less chance of getting hit by something bigger.
do SUV drivers pay more road tax? If so then fair cop. IF not ,they should due to space taken and pollution factors.

What about the very definite chance of rolling in a SUV, is this stat true or exaggeration?
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Dan J
do SUV drivers pay more road tax? If so then
fair cop. IF not ,they should due to space taken
and pollution factors.

They do. They pay higher taxes due to the extra fuel the vehicles consume as does any other driver of a large engined or heavy vehicle. Other than that they are no more damaging to the road so why should their drivers pay even more tax?
What about the very definite chance of rolling in a SUV,
is this stat true or exaggeration?

I think the point is, and it backs up the idea of different licensing rules for this type of vehicle, that they handle very differently from most cars and can catch their driver unawares.

Other than that - each to their own. At the end of the day 99% of us could all get by driving a very small and efficient car (e.g. Toyota Verso). As we appear to be living in a country not run by a dictatorship and which operates as a "free" market then what the hell has it got to do with anyone what anyone else drives? I could say (tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously) I think it's revolting that obese people continue to take up more space than the rest of us and consume huge amounts of food unnecessarily etc. They should pay higher taxes and super-size McDonalds meals should be outlawed.

But then again, what the hell has it got to do with me?...
>>What about the very definite chance of rolling in a SUV, is this stat true or exaggeration?

If you drive something like the Landcruiser in the same way that you drive something like a Mondeo you will roll it over, run into the back of things, lose the back end on corners, repeatedly hit parked vehicles and probably get car sick.

Driven appropriately it is no more likely to roll than anything else driven properly.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - rg
People may sneer at mine, especially on the schoolrun.

And sometimes they attract downright hostility. Like a woman in a Sainsbury's car park having a go about me offloading my family (incl six year old) in a "mother and child" bay. Like th ewoman in Sutton Coldfield blocking me in at a crossroads and refusing to back up and let me cross.. (Does Mr Bean run a driving school in this area?)

What they don't see is that it gets used for heavy duty towing, and my small business would not function without it.

They are not all poseur machines...

rg
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - A Dent{P}
In the context of the school run I?ll add something to this debate, if I may.
Personally I have no interest in off roaders or SUV?s at all, one way or the other. The premise that they are hated will stem from the fact (I believe) that they are dangerous to pedestrians, more so than cars and are somewhat unnecessary in the urban environment. Transits, lorries etc are working vehicles and serve a purpose, they are expected and tolerated by society.

This politics of envy thing is nonsense IMO. Parents will be concerned that if a youngster steps out in the road in front of a 4x4 with a 2? steel bar ornaments attached it will be a fatal event. Substitute a 4 pedestrian star civic and it?s survivable with every chance of a complete recovery. If it were your kid making the error which would you prefer? Money has nothing whatever to do with it.

If you think this argument is false, take it to the extreme and drive a Sherman tank past a school at closing time and see the reaction you get.

Legislation is a non-starter, because as has been pointed out, where would you stop.

Out of that context, if just driving 4x4?s is so dangerous on it?s own why should you worry because the drivers take themselves out of the gene pool, thus the public risk is self limiting.

Beside that, these owners are paying through the nose to move a largely empty box of air around, that is a valid choice too as do not live in a dictatorship.

"If you think this argument is false, take it to the extreme and drive a Sherman tank past a school at closing time and see the reaction you get."

They'd love that!

I'm sorry I still go back to the original post. It is an irrational resentment because the danger a vehicle poses is nothing to do with it's size and everything to do with how it's driven.

Be it Micra, Elise, BMW, or Tank!
Well, let\'s inject a bit of fact-based knowledge and recent experience here shall we?

I have (had) a Ford F-150** which was written off with me and my daughter in on August 13th last. We were making our way home from an evening out when an unlit 10 ton truck (quite common in Manila) shot straight over a red light, forcing me to avoid it and drive into a line of concrete divider blocks (Armco isn\'t too fashionable here) at some 70 kph. The truck\'s front left wheel and suspension was ripped out and torn off, we tipped on one side. The air bags blew, we were of course strapped in, the front chassis we found later was bent at some 15 degrees out of straight. The cabin retained its integrity completely and we were pulled out with no more than some cuts and bruises. The police who attended said we would never have got away with it in a regular sedan and they would have been cutting us out with torches.

If we had been using the other car, the Lynx, I might possible not be posting to this board now, or if I were it would be from a hospital bed.

I am not interested in taking ownership of other people\'s fate who may be involved in an accident with my SUV, provided it\'s not my fault. I AM interested in my own safety and survival. I don\'t feel any guilt about choosing my vehicle on that basis.
If I pay more for gas then based on the above I would say that\'s pretty good value life insurance. I also pay more road-related tax to the government so that in theory should give me more say in road and traffic policy than the man in the street Juan de la Cruz in his Kia, who can\'t afford an SUV, feels therefore no one else should have one and gets all bitter and twisted by projecting his dissatisfaction on to me.

It\'s like the Harley argument: I would commend all those who haven\'t driven an SUV extensively or owned one, shut the hell up until you know what you\'re talking about. For my part I\'m damn glad I was riding in one and not something lesser last August 13th.

** For those who aren\'t familiar with an F-150, this is what it looks like. It\'s big, so there\'s plenty to hate.

tinyurl.com/fc6n

I agree completely with all the people like Growler, they buy the car because they want to, if its safer then its a bonus.
The problem in this country is the arrogance by people who drive them. I was tailgated by a little twit in his X5 today who seemed to think that by blocking all the light out from behind me would somehow make me pull over and let him by. It didn't which really annoyed him and he then cut me up and proceeded to mount the kerb to get round a line of stationary cars.
Unfortunately I see this attitude of people with SUV's on a daily basis and it's one of the reasons I didn't buy an ML.
Next time however I shall just buy what I want and not listen to people moaning calling me an idiot for wanting to buy a large 4x4.
After all it's my money.
Actually I don't like the ML. A colleague had one and I "look after" it while he went on holiday.

It doesn't have a very well "put together" feel. Not that its seems bad quality, it just doesn't feel like the car had been one complete thought, more a bunch of separate ones.

A lot of money for what it is. I should think a saloon and a 4x4 would be a better buy than one ML.

But then, I didn't like the X5 either.

Depends which ML. The old one is awfull but the newer facelift models are like driving a completely different car.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Flat in Fifth
Do people drive on different roads from me? Well obviously some of you do but....

Don't have the need or want for an SUV but in this case sitting idealogically in the same corner as Mark , if he will allow it, I'm really not all that convinced about this a higher % of 4x4 drivers are ******. (fill in your own derogatory comment)

Surely whatever the vehicle make / model / type there is a complete spectrum of abilities and attitudes all the way from first rate chaps and chapesses right down to total utter numpties.

I accept that certain vehicles at extremes, eg a Caterham, may tend to attract a certain type of owner. Generally we are all guilty of profiling certain vehicles into being driven by particular types of drivers. Of course we reinforce those prejudices by the examples which support our opinions and ignore the others. For all I know somewhere there is baseball cap wearing Nova driver with a Rospa gold badge.

There is a lot more to worry about on the roads generally than this SUV issue in my opinion.

Just my 2p.

(cue for a post from MM about profiling ;-)
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Blue {P}
As regards the size thing, I saw a nice Jeep in the uni the other day, and I've got to admit, a little bit of me would quite like a go at the high riding position etc. etc. but I think that after the novelty wore off I would find the high bills for little driving pleasure a bit too much to stomach.

I'd rather spend c. £30K on another Z4. ;-) Much more fun to drive and attracts *much* more positive attention. As I don't normally cross mountains it wouldn't be a problem, but then I would annoy the anti-BMW brigade.

As far as safety is concerened, the Fiesta seems very safe to me, but I still wouldn't like to hit a large vehicle in it, I think I'd rather buy a Mondeo, which still has brilliant handling with very good safety if an accident should happen.

SUV drivers don't bother me, so long as they don't try to use their size to intimidate me.

If any drivers do, they get a car wash from a mis-aligned washer jet. The amount of idiot tailgaters lately that I have had to put up with I have used most of my washer tank, seems to have a positive effect though, certainly makes me feel better. ;-) Actually, I have found VW Golf drivers to be worst lately, maybe we should ban them...

Blue
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - bananaman
We are very lucky in the UK that the roads are in general safe and the standard of driving is generally not too bad. I have driven (and been driven) in other parts of the world and this is definitely not the case elsewhere. So I can understand why an F-150 may be an appropriate choice for the Philippines.

However, my view is that they are simply not appropriate in the UK except for agricultural or other specialist use.

People have a right to choose but with that comes a certain responsibility. The fact is that SUVs are very dangerous to anyone they crash into and actually aren't particularly safe for their occupants either. I've never seen a saloon car on its roof but I've seen plenty of SUVs which have rolled over.

The problem in the UK is that the wrong people in general own SUVs. I can understand why someone buys an SUV for their wife to ferry their kids around in. But this causes a vicious circle. Eventually everyone will own an SUV and the perceived safety advantage will be cancelled out. Except that with everyone driving SUVs the roads will be even more dangerous for pedestrians (i.e their children). (My gran smoked 60 a day and lived til she was 95. But smoking isn't safe. The same goes for SUVs).

Hopefully the manufacturers will make SUVs more carlike over time, but for me they are just a symbol of the declining quality of life and civil society in this country.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Spunky
Haven't bothered to read all the replies but does anybody else find the name Sports utility Vehicle totally inappropriate.... and just plain annoying?
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - DavidHM
I've never wanted one before, but there's a black, 53 plate Touareg outside my window this morning (not mine) and I'm starting to see the appeal.

I could only bring myself to drive the 2.5 TDi version, but if an SUV truly is as safe to drive on road for passengers and pedestrians, broadly as fuel efficient (if a diesel matches a large petrol saloon on CO2), and as practical as a family car, then there is no reason not to get one if it's what you want.

However when driven by people with inadequate training, experience or attitude - male or female! - I definitely have a problem with them. I'm not saying this applies to any of the SUV owners on here but I'm sure there are drivers out there who feel that there is nothing they can do to avoid an accident and/or want to be insulated from other drivers, so they feel they may as well be in the biggest vehicle possible. In that sense, SUVs definitely make selfish behaviour worse.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - P 2501
Yes very annoying spunky.
Yes.

As a horsebox towing Discovery owner i use the term '4x4' to mean 'proper' vehicles (ie those capable of doing a job of work other than being a family car / status symbol).

As for the rest (Rav 4, CRV, Vitara etc) i find the term 'Hairdresser's car' useful.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - apm
Sports Utility Vehicle

Sports: Porsche 911 (for example)
Utility: Transit ( " )

Is an X5 an accurate middle ground?

I suppose it does, really. Still an annoying term, mind

My feeling is that this could be the thin end of the wedge (ban SUV's, where do you stop? Fast cars, luxury cars? We'll all be in Prius's (Prii?).

That said, I do find it annoying when, say, an X5 goes hooning for a gap that isn't there, and uses size to bully others out of the way. Maybe this kind of car is a compensation for low self-esteem (as is road rage)?

Just a thought- no offence to the SUV owners in the forum.

--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - CM
Dislike SUVs for one very simple reason - they are harder to see past when driving behind them. ie not really a big problem and this applies to MPVs, vans, lorries etc etc.

With cars at least you can usually see thru the windscreen of the person in fromt of you.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Perturbed
I can't believe the guff I've read in this thread!

1) SUV, sports car, MPV, family car, compact etc - surely down to individual CHOICE. If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world

2)There are as many bad drivers of vehicles mentioned above as there are bad drivers of SUV's (in percentage terms)

3) Higher road taxes - already covered by someone else, the more petrol a vehicle uses, the more tax an owner pays!

4) Can't see past them? - how about dropping back off their tail and adopting a correct road position to let you see past. Same principle applies for MPV's, vans, lorries etc!

Live and let live for goodness sake!
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Miller
A bit o/t but have you noticed any BMW X5 that does NOT have a private number plate beginning X5?

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!
The X5 doesn't count. It's an ersatz SUV for urban poofters: have you ever sen one with a speck of mud on it? No serious 4WD-er would be seen in one. Waste of money.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - harry m
thank you perturbed,i drive a ml270 and i agree i have never read so much guff about these vehicles.please people get a life.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - James_Jameson
A theory: I wonder if those who dislike SUVs are suffering from a kind of "throwback" from earlier pre-motoring times when it was usually only the gentry who were able to afford a horse as a means of transport, thus towering over the peasants who had to make do with walking.

It seems that those who dislike SUVs often cite their dislike of the vehicle's height (and thus apparant "aggressiveness" of the driver within).

This may explain the frequent attempts to justify what I see as a type of chip-on-shoulder prejudice.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Obsolete
What on earth is this politics of envy business? I can't say I know what it is. I earn enough to buy a new Toyota Landcruiser or a Porsche Cayenne, and yet I have misgivings about SUVs. (I drive a small Ford Ka because a) I am tight and b) I love small cars that I can park easily.)

I guess the main reason I don't like them is that I feel decidedly ill at ease when I have one sitting a foot behind me when I am doing 30, 40 or whatever. I know that if I have to do an emergency stop, I will be squashed by the large tank driven by an idiot behind me. Of course not all SUVs are driven like this. Maybe most aren't. But many are and it makes me feel ill at ease.

The next point is the effect on pedestrians. Why should ordinary cars have to obey regulations to protect pedestrians, but SUVs do not have to comply? I think the reason is that they are considered agricultural vehicles. Ha. Good joke.
A friend of mine was killed by a 4x4 just before last Christmas. He'd made a pot of money selling a certain German prestige brand and was just setting himself up as an independent car retailer.
He was out test-driving a potential stock purchase (a clio). Driving into a local village he met with a 4x4 coming the opposite way - and out of control. The road is a series of 'S' bends at that point and the 4x4 driver had lost control. It went over the top of the Clio.

4x4's have a high centre of gravity and a high roll centre - coupled with compliant suspension, that makes them a real handful in an emergency situation. Even experienced drivers can come unstuck - I once witnessed a police Range Rover pulling off the M1 (blue lights on, doing about 90mph), he lost control as he moved onto the slip road and it ended up in the ditch.

I have driven a number of 4x4's on test tracks and some are really frightening - Frontera without ABS comes to mind as being almost unsafe IMHO. The fact that they are usually fitted with 'off-road' tyres doesn't help either.
As far as I know they don't have to meet car type approval regs (that was the situation a few years back, anyway).

Politics of envy (whatever it is) doesn't come into it - I could go out and buy pretty well anything on the market tomorrow and not have to borrow a penny. Its down to the laws of nature and simple physics.
there just damned dangerous and should be re-classified as such with a high road tax levy. Also the MOT should be ricourously enforced, perhaps even a special test for driving one of these "Agricultural vehicles", which is an idiotic defintion anyway, at least for 95% of SUV users - the supermarket, gym ,school run!
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - PoloGirl
Bloke I live with has a Freelander as a company car. It's not being used for work in the traditional agricultural sense, but he works in marketing and frequently has a car full of stock, towing a trailer to exhibitions. It's also a commercial vehicle so he pays a stupidly tiny amount of tax on it. For the last two years it hasn't been the most responsive/reliable/luxury car but it has suited his needs for the 80000 miles they've covered together. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with the customer choice thing!

From my point of view, I'm not insured to drive the freelander (and wouldn't want to be) but I love being a passenger because you are higher up and can see more of the road and surroundings.

The Freelander is soon to be pensioned off and he's getting a "proper" car. I've had to endure months of agonising between Mazda 6s, Honda Accords, volvos and BMWs (we've had a 3 series coupe all weekend and it's horrible!) but had an extended test drive in the Audi A4 2.0 FSI yesterday and are both in love. And yes... I'll be begging to be insured on it! :)
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Morris Ox
Here's my two penn'orth.

I think the whole SUV concept is fundamentally ill-suited to UK traffic conditions and wastes juice in a cavalier fashion.

Four of the cars I'd have in my cost-no-object garage? Defender, Merc G-Wagen, Range Rover, Landcruiser VX 4.2TD.
You missed the Hummer.
Okay, G. But only as long as it's the real McCoy, not that pathetic imitation that's superseded it. There's a Dodge pickup with a V10 which I like the look of, but can't think of the name.
now the Hummer, there is a ridiculous car/truck/lorry if ever there was.

J Clarkson slammed it, the Times slammed it and so has just about everyone else....

Take a look at one:

Civilian version of course, would'nt want to drive around in an army truck now would you?

www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/index.jsp

>>>>>would'nt want to drive around in an army truck now would you?

YBYSAIW! --especially with a SAM missile launcher on the roof.

----

MO -You mean the RAM SRT-10 with the Viper engine:

www.dodge.com/srt-10/index.html

I LERVE the description: lay this one on the nannies and watch 'em get out of shape........

"SRT-10 has a class-demolishing 500 hp, 525 lb.-ft. torque and hits 150 mph".

Of course it's not really an SUV, it's useful, it's a truck, so that's all right then. Sorry Nanny.....
Y'know, I looked at the front end of the SRT 10 and a certain early 70s, very non-PC movie came to mind. Here's an excerpt of the dialogue:

"I know what yr thinkin': did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell ya the truth I kinda forgotten myself in all this excitement. So you have to ask yourself one question: d'ya feel lucky? Well...do ya, punk?"

I think the RAM's very definitely a Harry Callahan kinda car...
>>>>J Clarkson slammed it, the Times slammed it.

What not THE J. Clarkson? He with the lobotomised clapping audience at the end of his programme? Well in that case, the Hummer's probably worth a second look. As for The Times, well with such an authoritative organ on all things on wheels what can I say? Perhaps Rupert was trying to drive the share price down so he could buy in to Hummer..... hehe.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Clanger
Well put.

You can tap into prejudice in a forum like this by mentioning MPVs, caravans, bicycles, motor-bikes, PCvs, trucks and so on. It's the driver as makes the difference, not the vehicle.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Clarkson comes in for a lot of stick, some of it deserved, some not. Like many of these TV types, one can come to hate them regardless of there character through simple overviewing. However, from whatever position you look at it, the Hummer is a duck, no a lame camel. Sure, if you live in the Arizona desert and enjoy cruising around in scrup and mounting sand dunes, then may be the Hummer is well suited, but for just about any other scenario it's absurd! Especially at 1 mile a gallon, as tested on the much loathed Top Gear!
For all those amongst you who potter around town in an X5 or ML, why think small? Here's what you really want:

"The new 5.6-liter 32-valve DOHC V8 will be placed first into the new full-size Nissan Pathfinder Armada sport utility vehicle. It will also be used in the Titan King Cab and Crew Cab full-size pick-ups.
Built on a new state-of-the-art line at the engine assembly plant, the design of the Endurance V8 features an aluminum block with cast iron liners, chain-driven dual overhead cams with silent single-stage timing chain, microfinished forged crank and camshafts, molybdenum-coated pistons and electronic throttle.

The engine will produce 305 horsepower @ 4,900 RPM, and 385 lb-ft of torque @ 3600 RPM."
Well, some lame duck, here in Manila the Hummer the favorite of spoilt college boys with Congressmen for Dads, who buy them one on their graduation. Last night I was overtaken by one with no plates, blacked out windows and a Chicago police siren, followed by an Excursion similarly equipped, probably the body guards, both of which ran every red light they came across on Ayala Avenue (Manila's Wall street cum Oxford Street). Pretty useful for that LOL.
why hate SUVs? Is it justified? - Doc
Is not the problem with SUVs their sheer size?
Many are too large for parking bays, and in this over-crowded island can we continue to allow greater numbers of larger vehicles (which get larger with each new model) on our roads?
Afterthought: SUV's are good discussion material. 76 posts on a thread about Nissan Micras?
good point, certainly got us all going!