Car prices - outlook? - Warning

I am looking to update my car. Car prices are still high. Any indication which may they have heading? Someone told me look September, due to September and the new plate registration.

If dealers have offered high trade in values, it will take time for those traded-in vehicles to filter out...

Car prices - outlook? - Heidfirst

could get worse before it gets better ...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58266794

Car prices - outlook? - badbusdriver

I am looking to update my car.

You should get a Tesla then you wouldn't have to 'update' it, they do that themselves.........

;-)

Car prices - outlook? - Miniman777

Prices still at the high end.

A WBAC vauluation for the daughter's Mini cabriolet is up from £5625 to £7800 in 12 months, it has only done 37000 miles.

Goodness knows where that leaves the forecourt price - I've seen very similar spec/mileage on Autotrader at £10k+. Had two Mini dealers asking to buy it.

For a 9 year old car, it's nuts.

Car prices - outlook? - daveyK_UK
Fantastic time to buy a Dacia
Car prices - outlook? - NAthan smith
Prices are indeed crazy ! My car has increased by £2k in 6 months based on a like for like car in autotrader of course it’s all relevant! The increase is staggering
Car prices - outlook? - John F
Prices are indeed crazy ! My car has increased by £2k in 6 months based on a like for like car in autotrader of course it’s all relevant! The increase is staggering

Clearly too young to have experienced the inflation of the 1970s. However, I am still waiting for the 'wbac' value of our old Focus to increase from £150, minus £49.99 admin fee.

Car prices - outlook? - NAthan smith
Yea at 38 I’m experienced but not an old codger yet!
Car prices - outlook? - Engineer Andy

Prices still at the high end.

A WBAC vauluation for the daughter's Mini cabriolet is up from £5625 to £7800 in 12 months, it has only done 37000 miles.

Goodness knows where that leaves the forecourt price - I've seen very similar spec/mileage on Autotrader at £10k+. Had two Mini dealers asking to buy it.

For a 9 year old car, it's nuts.

I shudder to think. I've seen 10+yo cars listed for silly money at my local Ford dealership and even the second hand 2yo Picantos at the KIA dealership still going for over £10k.

Just glad my 15yo car is not (yet) falling to bits and running well. Ironically, the local former Vauxhall main dealer (now just an indie second hand dealer with Vauxhall maintenance dept) appear to be turning around far more cars than they did prior to de-franchising.

The most ridiculous prices though are for used vans.

Car prices - outlook? - Guitarspark

Prices are crazy. I just sold a 66reg Kia Sportage. Price went up £1500 in about 6 weeks. Was good for me, but now we want to buy my wife a new car, not only are prices high but there is a lack of availability.

Problem is I don't think anyone knows how long this will all last so you can't really bank on waiting for things to improve as it could be so long away

Car prices - outlook? - Heidfirst

Prices are crazy. I just sold a 66reg Kia Sportage. Price went up £1500 in about 6 weeks

Yup, currently being offered just under £12k for a car that I paid £15k for 3 years ago.

Not planning on selling/changing - just keeping in touch with current market.

Car prices - outlook? - FoxyJukebox

With prices rising-surely this is the time to hold on to a car for longer?. Give it a birthday if you sense it needs it with a good service, some new tyres, wiper blades etc?

The market is bound to stabilise within a year or so-after all -unless you have a classic car-the vast majority of vehicles on the road are depreciating assets in the long term. However-If car "ownership" is going the same way as house prices then I am happy to admit i'm wrong.

Edited by Dogfuzz on 01/09/2021 at 09:32

Car prices - outlook? - Engineer Andy

Things won't change until the shortages in parts (especially computer chips) and problems with logistics caused by pandemic restrictions, people actually being ill and especially being 'pinging' to stay at home a lot comes to an end.

Which I don't see coming anytime soon. The very earliest next summer, and a LOT of other high spending costs will be starting to feed through into general prices around the same time through extra (huge) borrowing costs.

Despite what the 'experts' from central banks are currently saying, I think they are lying to not spread panic and that inflation in the range of 5-10% will be with us in most of the world very soon and likely for 2-3 years at least.

That means high car prices, fuel and running/maintenance costs.

Car prices - outlook? - daveyK_UK
Agree,
The way the US, UK, EU, etc have printed fake money , inflation will be here for a while.
Good time to lock yourself into a cheap car PCP and/or 5 - 10 year mortgage deal before it’s too late.