All - New Fuel - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hello One and all,

I went into a supermarket for a well known supermarket, as I go in there every day to fill up before parking the truck ..

I asked how much they will be selling the new fuel for.

I was told £1.40 per litre, £6.36 per gallion. ( 4.54609 x £1.40 )

I ask all of you to go to your local fueling point and ask them what they are going to charge for this new fuel and post it on here.

All - New Fuel - daveyjp

What new fuel?

All - New Fuel - Sprice

^^^^^ E10. I filled up at Asda this morning (not sure why people are always cryptic, saying things like well known supermarket) and the pump was marked E10, whether it was who knows or just marked up ready (131.9 ppl)

Because i did not want this refused by mentioning the name of them.

All - New Fuel - Xileno

Fine to mention companies in general terms, it's criticism or accusations we need to be careful with, anything that could be viewed as libel basically.

All - New Fuel - peter moss

The USA went through this on starts with E10 then goes upto E85 , to burn that you need a higher compression and ECU needs setting up unlessyou buy a flexi fuel car

It does less mpg and in older cars like classic cars its corrosive to pot metal components like carbs ,fuel pumps and older type fuel lines ,shelf life is appx 3 months ,its also hygroscopic

[ draws water ] ,but its great way to get the older cars off the road so you buy the vastly more expensive EV .

Its all the things you dont need in your older style car so you either buy a flexi fuel car or an EV !

Edited by peter moss on 24/08/2021 at 10:13

All - New Fuel - FP

I'm not sure what your post is getting at. The cost of standard unleaded (E5) petrol has of course been rising rapidly of late, but I can't find any evidence that E10 fuel should be - or even will be - more expensive just because it's E10.

Plenty of suggestions otherwise:

"The switch shouldn't have a direct impact on pump prices – the average price per litre for E10 is expected to be the same as it is for E5..." (Money Saving Expert)

"Moving from E5 to E10 is estimated to reduce pump price petrol costs by 0.2 pence per litre." (This is Money)

"The cost of E10 fuel itself will not be any more expensive..." (The Sun)

I have no intention of asking what the price will be when it's introduced. It won't make any difference anyway.

All - New Fuel - Engineer Andy

I wouldn't believe much of what the media says about this, given they often have agendas behind what they print these days, especially on 'green' issues.

I suspect that E10 will be a more expensive to produce than E5, given biofuels require vast areas of cultivated land, but given how low the actual production cost is of vehicle fuel in comprison to the retail price due to taxes/duties, I would surmise that any price increase in normal times would be minimal at best, probably only a penny or two a litre at most.

With the current pandemic era supply chain problems, this might be higher (though how much, I don't know), but I'm sure the retailers will find some excuse to bump the prices up to make up for lost revenue from the lockdown periods.

It'll be interesting to see how prices go after the summer holidays end.

All - New Fuel - focussed

Having had problems with E5 I wouldn't put E10 in any of my fuel tanks.

Why would you buy petrol that has been diluted with ethanol that has no business being in petrol in the first place?

ne-np.facebook.com/BamfordRoseLTD/videos/825270987...6

All - New Fuel - Andrew-T

Why would you buy petrol that has been diluted with ethanol that has no business being in petrol in the first place?

I'm trying to work out what this means. Petrol and ethanol both burn easily and are miscible, so perhaps you think fuel for cars should only come from underground (or underwater) ?

Or maybe you believe ethanol is only for human consumption ?

All - New Fuel - sammy1

The price of oil has dived over the last 48hours so fuel at the pump should come down in the coming weeks

I'm trying to work out what this means. Petrol and ethanol both burn easily and are miscible, so perhaps you think fuel for cars should only come from underground (or underwater) ?

((visions of winos drinking from petrol pumps))

:-)

All - New Fuel - _

Or, the car mechanic who said he wasn't addicted to brake fluid,

as he could stop anytime!

All - New Fuel - groaver

Boom-tish!

Do you do a matinee on Saturdays? ;-)

Or, the car mechanic who said he wasn't addicted to brake fluid,

as he could stop anytime!

Definitely a Friday, and one in the August silly season... :-)

A much needed lot of joviality of late to offset life in 2021.

Since you seem to be an ethanol fanboy could you explain why you think it is so wonderful and beneficial?

<< Since you seem to be an ethanol fanboy could you explain why you think it is so wonderful and beneficial? >>

I didn't think I had expressed any opinion for or against ethanol in petrol ? Having a 1994-model petrol car I have an interest in knowing whether I need to worry about it, that's all.

But as a chemist I have no objection to using ethanol as fuel : we used to use meths (= methylated spirits = denatured ethanol) in primus lamps and camping stoves.

All - New Fuel - paul 1963

Been using E10 for the last couple of weeks, no noticeable drop in power but the mpg has defently taken a tumble and rather oddly ( may not be connected) the low fuel alarm triggers 10 miles earlier than before????

All - New Fuel - sammy1

Well is E10 on sale or not? Gov and Shell both state September so is E10 actually coming out of the pump even if it is labelled as such?

All - New Fuel - Bolt

Well is E10 on sale or not? Gov and Shell both state September so is E10 actually coming out of the pump even if it is labelled as such?

Texaco round the corner from me is selling E10 and its the same price as E5 was a couple of weeks ago, and yes have noticed a drop in fuel economy though air temp difference may account for that 5mpg down

Texaco round the corner from me is selling E10 and its the same price as E5 was a couple of weeks ago, and yes have noticed a drop in fuel economy though air temp difference may account for that 5mpg down

No difference to me of late, but up in East Anglia it hasn't exactly been wall-to-wall sunshine and 30 degrees of late. I even had to turn the heating on in my flat recently as it was chilly over night.

I just turn the A/C on in my car for 10 mins every two weeks on a trip to the supermarket 12 miles away just to keep the system in good nick as well as (the trip itself) the battery topped up.

Still getting the usual mpg average for the time of year as before, but then I don't do much driving at the mo, so maybe any changes will occur after the next fill-up.

All - New Fuel - daveyjp

Whilst the pumps may say E10 there is no guarantee it is E10. Garages are changing labels in readiness.

Even after the change all the label means is it could contain a maximum of 10% ethanol.

That is a big drop, and a lot more expensive over the year.

I have started to rid my "fleet" of garden machines of fuel containing ethanol, apart from the two motorcycles we run diesel road vehicles.

Our little ride-on mower was the first to run out of SP95 so got topped up with Total SP98 Excellium - no ethanol.

It starts first time hot or cold ( it's hand start only from new that's why it was cheap!)

It used to rarely start first time, usually second or third time.

The idle is more stable, its a governed idle, not a throttle stop.

The low load jerkiness when travelling, not mowing has gone.

It bogs down less mowing really long grass.

It uses a little less fuel for our standard mower round of mowing - I top it up after mowing with a measuring jug = less spillage.

And the fuel wont attract moisture in storage which was the problem with the E95.

I didn't expect any difference so all that is a bonus.

I did not ask the media, I asked the woman who works in the supermarket petrol station who checked on tills.
All - New Fuel - alan1302
I did not ask the media, I asked the woman who works in the supermarket petrol station who checked on tills.

The person serving won't know what they costs will be - they change to much for anyone to really know as it all rests on the price of oil.

All - New Fuel - Manatee

I wouldn't believe much of what the media says about this, given they often have agendas behind what they print these days, especially on 'green' issues.

I suspect that E10 will be a more expensive to produce than E5,

It depends on the price of ethanol vs. the price of gasoline. Given that E10 doesn't have to contain 10% ethanol, just 5%<ethanol<=10%, and that it will increase demand for ethanol somewhat, I would expect the actual content to settle around the point at which the ethanol and gasoline prices are about equal if that equilibrium is in the 5%-10% range.

I don't know where it sits currently but, relatively recently, ethanol was more expensive so If that is the case, or there isn't much difference I don't see why the refiners/blenders would be in any rush to maximise the ethanol content when they can be compliant in September with 5.1% ethanol which is still E10.

Coincidentally, September is also when winter petrol is phased in. This needs a higher vapour pressure than summer petrol, and also coincidentally adding ethanol raises the vapour pressure; but so does adding butane, which is usually cheaper than ethanol.

I don't suppose we will find out, but it would be interesting to know just how much the percentage of ethanol actually does increase.

All - New Fuel - edlithgow

If its the same cost per litre, then its effectively more expensive (assuming no damage) since the energy content is lower.

All - New Fuel - Bolt

If its the same cost per litre, then its effectively more expensive (assuming no damage) since the energy content is lower.

Probably 5%, but hasn`t everything gone up in price and still rising lately, I don`t now take much notice of petrol prices as the cheapest place is always about 20minute drive in good traffic so not worth the effort going to, locals are always within 2p a litre so no point going elsewhere

All - New Fuel - Bromptonaut

I asked how much they will be selling the new fuel for.

I was told £1.40 per litre, £6.36 per gallion. ( 4.54609 x £1.40 )

Who told you that? Are you sure they're reliable?

Supermarket fuel prices change dynamically from day to day. On holiday right now in the Highlands and even roadside filling stations are under £1.40. Morrisons in Edinburgh was around £1.32 litre for petrol with the usual 2 or 3p premium for diesel we were actually buying.

The only certainty for me is that it'll remain around 3pence a litre more in Northampton than in Leicester.

All - New Fuel - ExA35Owner

Not all that new - Kenya was using gasohol (10%, so E10) back in the 1980s, using home-grown ethanol to reduce costs as there was less dependence on imported oil,

Here's how much worse the mpg is when using E85 fuel. That's 85% ethanol 15% gasoline. Test carried out in the USA.

Don't forget "gas" = petrol

Gas vs. E85 difference:

The fuel economy of our Tahoe on E85 under these conditions was 26.5 percent worse than it was on gas.

A motorist filling up and comparing the prices of regular gas and E85 might see the price advantage of ethanol (in our case 33 cents, or 9.7 percent, less) as a bargain. However, since fuel economy is significantly reduced, the net effect is that a person choosing to run a flex-fuel vehicle on E85 on a trip like ours will spend 22.8 percent more to drive the same distance. For us, the E85 trip was about $30 more expensive — about 22.9 cents per mile on E85 versus 18.7 cents per mile with gasoline.

www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-compa...l

Just as well you can't buy it in the UK any more!

All - New Fuel - bathtub tom

Just as well you can't buy it in the UK any more!

When were we able to buy it in the UK?

All - New Fuel - John F

Not all that new - Kenya was using gasohol (10%, so E10) back in the 1980s, using home-grown ethanol to reduce costs as there was less dependence on imported oil,

Indeed so. Cleveland Discol was in widespread use for decades, I remember my father used it. On trying to find out its petrol/alcohol ratio I came across this interesting link....

www.researchgate.net/publication/332817761_The_Hyp...I

Cleveland Discol was in widespread use for decades,

I remember the name, but don't know if I ever used it. Since my first motoring days ('65), I always kept a log of fuel used/miles covered as an older and wiser motoring head told me they didn't know of any problem that caused a car to use less fuel.

All - New Fuel - peter moss

Brazil in the 70s did it running cars on cane sugar gas !

All - New Fuel - JonestHon

Do any one here knows the origin of said Ethanol?

Are the plants grown in the UK? is the stuff synthesised in the UK? or are we loading the petrol with imported Bio Ethanol produced by diesel powered tractors abroad, synthesised by coal powered energy and shipped over in tankers powered by low grade maritime diesel?

All - New Fuel - Miniman777

Given some are unhappy about this change, our 1 year old Mini Cooper S has the symbols E5, E10 and E25 on the filler cap.

So is E25 in the pipeline for nearer 2030? I note that E25 is common in Brazil.

They still are, the cars are locally produced and adapted to run on cane ethanol/

Here is ethanol being produced, it doesn't look an emission free process does it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil#/medi...g

All - New Fuel - misar

They still are, the cars are locally produced and adapted to run on cane ethanol/

Here is ethanol being produced, it doesn't look an emission free process does it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil#/medi...g

That Wikipedia article seems to have been written by somebody trying to improve Brazil's green credentials.

I visited the country on business over several times the years and the guys there told me the original aim had been to reduce fuel imports and find a new market for their ethanol. It all started long before most people had heard of global warming let alone trying to cut emissions.

All - New Fuel - Smileyman

I have been in France for a few day, saw one garage selling fuel

95 E10 €1.469 £1.266

98 €1.539 £1.326

95 £1.509 £1.300

Gazole £1.369 £1.180

Sterling shown at my credit card's rate of exchange circa £1 = €1.16.

Two matters caught my attention, firstly the prices (lower than anywhere else) and secondly the separate pumps for 95 E10 fuel.

This is cheaper than in the UK!

All - New Fuel - Steveieb

Can someone explain whether Diesel fuel will contain Ethanol please.
Heading to the nearest Esso station to fill up. On super unleaded but Esso stations are few and far between almost as difficult as finding a compatible charging point !

All - New Fuel - Mike Lyons

No - not Ethanol , but does contain 7% Bio-Diesel - it's known as B7 & that should be shown at pump.

Synergy Diesel | Esso

and

Petrol and diesel fuel RENAMED at filling stations (motoringresearch.com)

Edited by Mike Lyons on 28/08/2021 at 12:09

Ethanol will probably mix with diesel, but it is much more volatile, so will tend to evaporate gradually from your tank, so the ratio of what reaches the injectors will vary over time. I don't know how ethanol behaves in compression-ignition ?

Ethanol and petrol boil in the 80-120°C range. Diesel boils at over 200°.

Edited by Andrew-T on 28/08/2021 at 12:47

All - New Fuel - galileo

Ethanol will probably mix with diesel, but it is much more volatile, so will tend to evaporate gradually from your tank, so the ratio of what reaches the injectors will vary over time. I don't know how ethanol behaves in compression-ignition ?

Ethanol and petrol boil in the 80-120°C range. Diesel boils at over 200°.

In the past ethanol was added to petrol to improve anti knock qualities, I think its octane rating is 113, what effect that has on a diesel engine is hard to estimate but I would expect it not to improve its starting and running.

As referenced earlier in this thread, its resistance to knocking was on advertised virtue of Cleveland Discol.

Next question.

Which brand of diesel has the least percentage of ethanol , and is it true that even a small percentage can react with the plastic in the fuel lines and tank ?

All - New Fuel - RT

Next question.

Which brand of diesel has the least percentage of ethanol , and is it true that even a small percentage can react with the plastic in the fuel lines and tank ?

It may not be dependent on brand - there may also be regional variations depending on when the ethanol is blended with the base fuel.

Since E5 has been universal for some time, small percentages can't be harmful

Next question.

It may not be dependent on brand - there may also be regional variations depending on when the ethanol is blended with the base fuel.

Since E5 has been universal for some time, small percentages can't be harmful

Rather like with 'super' fuels (or ones with higher amounts of cleaning additives than standard), often - at least for the supermarkets - they get tanker lorries from wherever is conventient.

Whilst the branded filling stations normally have their own, I do recall a previous thread in the Backroom saying that often the contents of those lorries are the same (per region as you say - coming from X or Y refinery/distribution centre) and the cleaning additives specific to the filling station brand (or supermarket) get added (mixed) when they get pumped into the storage tanks at the destination.

All - New Fuel - Xileno

"I do recall a previous thread in the Backroom saying that often the contents of those lorries are the same (per region as you say - coming from X or Y refinery/distribution centre)"

Been discussed a few times over the years...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22919

All - New Fuel - 72 dudes

Whilst the branded filling stations normally have their own, I do recall a previous thread in the Backroom saying that often the contents of those lorries are the same (per region as you say - coming from X or Y refinery/distribution centre) and the cleaning additives specific to the filling station brand (or supermarket) get added (mixed) when they get pumped into the storage tanks at the destination.

Oh Andy, no no no.

I can say with absolute certainty that this does not happen!

I work at a petrol station p/t

Apart from the potential to go wrong, can you imagine tankers lugging round the extra weight of various additives.

Oh Andy, no no no.

I can say with absolute certainty that this does not happen!

I work at a petrol station p/t

Apart from the potential to go wrong, can you imagine tankers lugging round the extra weight of various additives.

I was only stating what had been said previously - not saying it was the case. If that's so, why do some supermarket filling stations get fuel from branded (e.g. Esso, Shell, etc) tanker lorries, sometimes different ones (which I've seen)?

Does that also mean that a tanker lorry only ever visits either one filling station and completely empties, or only visits filling stations of one firm, i.e. that sells the same mix of fuel and additives?

Given the additives would presumably be mixed into 'standard' fuels at some point before the pump, how do they get mixed? a Big vat of known amount of fuel, add the cleaning additive, mix using some stirrer device for Z time, then dispence?

I was originally thinking (if they were mixed at the filling station) that the mix (the additive would be very small in level and could easily be delivered either completely separately or via small secondary tanks) could be done similarly to that of the carbonated water and syrup used in pubs and bars to make colas, etc instead of buying in bottles and cans.

All - New Fuel - Bolt

I do recall a previous thread in the Backroom saying that often the contents of those lorries are the same (per region as you say - coming from X or Y refinery/distribution centre) and the cleaning additives specific to the filling station brand (or supermarket) get added (mixed) when they get pumped into the storage tanks at the destination.

Tanker contents afaia are the same, the additives I`m told are made at the refineries and added to the tanker on fillup of tanker, not at the garage.

I would have thought for a driver to add the mix would be dangerous on site so doubt that happens???

Tanker contents afaia are the same, the additives I`m told are made at the refineries and added to the tanker on fillup of tanker, not at the garage.

Most filling stations offer regular and premium varieties of both petrol and diesel. The larger road tankers - and perhaps the smaller ones too - have two, perhaps more, compartments for different fuels. I don't know whether any vehicles have four compartments, but clearly that number can be reduced by treating a delivery on arrival with appropriate additives. I don't see why that operation can't be managed reliably, say by tipping 250ml of super-special Stuff into the tank before pumping 3 tons of plain petrol on top to ensure mixing.

All - New Fuel - dan86

Next question.

I don't think diesel has ethanol in it it's normally mixed with bio diesel that comes from waste oil, animal fats and plant oils

All - New Fuel - 72 dudes

Bolt is spot on with his post above.

@Engineer Andy. Yes, the tanker delivers it's whole load at one destination fuel station.

Tankers have four compartments known as pots. Two are currently used for diesel, two for unleaded, one of which can be super unleaded.

A whole load is in the region of 37000 litres.

As a side comment, we are already seeing an increase in Super Unleaded sales as news about E10 spreads.

Diesel sales have been in decline for over a year but are still strong partially due to the amount of tradesmen with vans we get in.

All - New Fuel - Manatee

At the time of the Buncefield explosion, nearly 16 years ago so things might have moved on a bit in terms of procedure, I had a chat with one of my neighbours who was a tanker driver operating from there. He had actually left the depot less than an hour before the big bang with a full load. My house is 12 miles away and it woke me up.

IIRC he said that they had card to swipe to put in the correct additive at the time of loading. That might be a bit more automated now (he retired shortly afterwards and moved away!) but the additives were put in at the depot when the fuel was loaded, presumably because the same fuel is used for different brands.

Yes, the tanker delivers its whole load at one destination fuel station.

Surely that must depend on whether the delivery is to a major outlet or to a remote rural station ?

And if true, it suggests that the blame for the tale of dirty fuel from a Tesco supermarket may be on the supplier, not the supermarket, unless their tank got flooded with water somehow ?

All - New Fuel - Manatee

And if true, it suggests that the blame for the tale of dirty fuel from a Tesco supermarket may be on the supplier, not the supermarket, unless their tank got flooded with water somehow ?

If you are referring to the many claims c.15 years ago against Tesco (and others? I can't recall) for damaged lamda sensors, that was apparently due to a tanker load of petrol from the Vopak tank farm in Rotterdam and distributed by Greenergy that had at some stage been contaminated. A silicon anti-foaming agent for diesel fuel was mistakenly added to the petrol, and once in the cars had the effect of leaving a 'glass' coating on the hot sensors that prevented them working.

If this reveals anything it is that it doesn't all come from the same tank - I don't think that branded fuel in general was affected on that occasion - probably because it was limited to one distributor.

I am aware that there was also a story about compo being paid by Tesco for damage caused by water in petrol, around the same time, but that might have been just one station.

<< If you are referring to the many claims c.15 years ago against Tesco >>

No, I'm referring to the current Technical thread about poor MPG in a Vauxhall Meriva, which has been attributed to dirty Tesco fuel.

All - New Fuel - galileo

I have a book on automotive engines published in the US in 1994 which acknowledges all motor manufacturers and component makers current in the US at that time for information and illustrations.

There is an 8 page chapter on fuels and combustion, which states that "engines can run on 90% unleaded petrol and 10% ethanol without any change to the vehicle fuel system".

What it goes on to say is that methanol can also be used, but "this fuel is highly toxic and corrosive, attacking aluminium, solder, plastics and other materials".

Is the corrosive reputation of ethanol due to experience with "industrial alcohol" which is commonly denatured with methanol in the UK?

After all this discussion I have to recall HJ 's recommendation long before the changeover happened and it was look up your nearest Esso garage and fill up with their super unleaded.
Only problem is finding Esso filling stations these days as the supermarkets hold the major share of fuel sales.
After all this discussion I have to recall HJ 's recommendation long before the changeover happened and it was look up your nearest Esso garage and fill up with their super unleaded. Only problem is finding Esso filling stations these days as the supermarkets hold the major share of fuel sales.

Maybe they are more regional-based. I'm lucky with one (only two including Tesco - next door) and another two 12 miles away.

What's the difference between their super unleaded fuel and other major branded ones like Shell, Teaco and BP? Is it 100% petrol, and will that be allowed? I bet it won't be cheap.

All - New Fuel - misar

With one exception (ExxonMobile - Esso) the major oil companies closed or sold off their UK refineries long ago leaving just 5 or 6 operational. However, long before that all companies used the nearest refinery because it would be crazy to drive tanker loads of fuel all over the country. We also import petrol but again it makes more sense to use the closest appropriate terminal.

No idea if it is still true but when the supermarkets first opened filling stations they often bought imports on the spot market to get low prices, leading to a greater risk of contamination. Apart from this all the regular grades of petrol are the same at everywhere other than their additive packages. Diesel can be an exception because the biofuels (not ethanol) which now have to be blended are highly variable so a refinery can end up with a rogue batch causing problems such as cold weather starting.

With one exception (ExxonMobile - Esso) the major oil companies closed or sold off their UK refineries long ago leaving just 5 or 6 operational. However, long before that all companies used the nearest refinery because it would be crazy to drive tanker loads of fuel all over the country. We also import petrol but again it makes more sense to use the closest appropriate terminal.

No idea if it is still true but when the supermarkets first opened filling stations they often bought imports on the spot market to get low prices, leading to a greater risk of contamination. Apart from this all the regular grades of petrol are the same at everywhere other than their additive packages. Diesel can be an exception because the biofuels (not ethanol) which now have to be blended are highly variable so a refinery can end up with a rogue batch causing problems such as cold weather starting.

I remember often seeing - especially over the last 5-10 years, oil tankers laying off Plymouth Sound when I was holidaying in the region. I presume that was for whoever buying/selling to wait for prices to go in their favour.

It certainly makes sense for as much fuel to be sourced from the most local refinery/distribution centre and just add any cleaning additives at a convenient time when it gets transported to the filling station.

It'll be also interesting to see if Esso deliberately markets their superunleaded for use with older cars that cannot acccept E10 as well as the usual performance cars. Shell in particular appear to have previously got their ad campaigns tailored to 'performance car' owners. If theirs now goes to E10 (it may be E5), they may lose some custom, though likely not much given the overal mix of purchases.

All - New Fuel - Manatee

It'll be also interesting to see if Esso deliberately markets their super unleaded for use with older cars that cannot accept E10 as well as the usual performance cars. Shell in particular appear to have previously got their ad campaigns tailored to 'performance car' owners. If theirs now goes to E10 (it may be E5), they may lose some custom, though likely not much given the overall mix of purchases.

I just hope that proper competition develops around the price of E5. I'm pretty sure that retailers take a very large margin benefit from 'super' fuels. I know that's just part of the added value model but I suspect it's got into rip off territory.

I was hocked this morning to see at the local Shell station super diesel is +16p and super petrol +17p per litre more than the standard product. A few years ago it was commonly 12p, but one station I knew (also Shell) only charged 6p extra which I took to be much more representative of the extra cost.

According to the You tube clip from the Aston Martin specialist , Esso super unleaded is pure petrol with no ethanol so that’s where I’m heading in future !

According to the You tube clip from the Aston Martin specialist , Esso super unleaded is pure petrol with no ethanol so that’s where I’m heading in future !

I wouldn't necessarily believe that. I think I read somewhere further up this thread that super unleaded must contain up to 5% ethanol from the first of September.

I understood that some super unleaded used to contain no ethanol before Septtember the first, depending on which refinery it came from.

All - New Fuel - RT

I wouldn't necessarily believe that. I think I read somewhere further up this thread that super unleaded must contain up to 5% ethanol from the first of September.

I understood that some super unleaded used to contain no ethanol before Septtember the first, depending on which refinery it came from.

"up to 5%" means just that, somewhere between 0% and 5% - from 1st September, super unleaded is "protected" and must NOT exceed 5% ethanol.

Useful unbiased information here : <www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/09/2021 at 12:34

Useful unbiased information here : <www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Ethanol in diesel? Who knew?

All - New Fuel - Smileyman

Duplicate post!

Edited by Smileyman on 01/09/2021 at 22:35