Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - Hc2012

Hi, I have a 2012 (the 2012-2017) civic 1.8 petrol. 2nd owner, FSH and i've taken it from 62,000 to 134,000 miles. It's been a great family car, 2 kids.

Unfortunately it's affected by an oil burning problem (lots of info on civ info forum). Basically some of the 2012 1.8 petrol models have a poor piston ring design which results in the oil burning. Obviously not economical to try rectify at this stage. Been using oil for a while now and it's probably getting more noticeable, intermittent smoke from the exhaust usually when setting off. Now and again, say if you're slowing for a rbout in 2nd, then set off it pauses slightly and chucks some smoke out.

So the question is what to do, i've been going option 1 at the moment but interested in peoples thoughts.

1. Run it into the ground! Try get 1-2 more years out of it (and hopefully used car prices will fall a bit). I'll still keep up with the regular servicing and looking after it.

2. Get rid now while it still works (obviously not to a private buyer)

Next car will probably be another 1.8 petrol civic, but 2013 onwards! They're at silly prices at the moment though (as are a lot of cars)

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - edlithgow

Thicker oil

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - Bolt

Have you tried using 10w 30 fully synthetic, I know it works on some but not all, and depends on mileage, so its possible it either wont work, or may reduce the consumption, but worth a try also check the crankcase breather valve in case that has stuck as that can make it worse if blocked, including the pipe to manifold.

Hi thanks for the suggestions. No, just been using the specified 5w 30 so far, I'll try the thicker oil. I'll also check the other bits you've mentioned.

If it's not likely to catastrophically fail on me I'll hold onto it, topping the oil up regularly doesn't really bother me. Just don't want to be left with a pile of scrap (unless I manage to get her up to 200k)

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - bathtub tom

10w-30 will only make a difference when cold. If the problem's when hot, I'd suggest a 5w-40 (if it exists), or a 10w-40

Hi thanks for the suggestions. No, just been using the specified 5w 30 so far, I'll try the thicker oil. I'll also the floor was in the design of the oil control ring which Honda said was of similar design to the rings used in Toyota which some had the same problem

Honda state to use it on there website if you get the oil burning issue, they also state as most others up to 1 litre per 1000 miles is acceptable

Though they normaly apart from that dont burn a drop

Thanks, definitely worth a try, didn't realise honda recommended it aswell.

Unlucky really, did my research, bought a petrol honda for reliability and it's got the oil issue! Still been a great car though, very, very little else has gone wrong with it. Hoping to keep it going for a good while.

would be a good idea to ask Honda what they recommend for the problem as I can`t now find the Honda site that told you what should be used.?

Yeah I haven't contacted Honda, I didn't want to hear their denials and lies!

Yeah I haven't contacted Honda, I didn't want to hear their denials and lies!

And you have one, makes sense????

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - SLO76
“ Been using oil for a while now and it's probably getting more noticeable, intermittent smoke from the exhaust usually when setting off. Now and again, say if you're slowing for a rbout in 2nd, then set off it pauses slightly and chucks some smoke out.”

Get shot of it. If it was merely using a bit of oil I’d just say keep it topped up and run it but if it’s noticeably smoking and hesitating it’s time to go. Yes prices are daft right now but it’s highly likely they’ll be that way next year too. Try to buy privately to reduce the pain. Another (post 2013) Civic is a good bet but I’d add in the Ford Focus 1.6 petrol, Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv and Toyota Auris petrol to that search list.
Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - Big John

intermittent smoke from the exhaust usually when setting off. Now and again, say if you're slowing for a rbout in 2nd, then set off it pauses slightly and chucks some smoke out.

To me this might be a a clue?

I'm not familiar with the Civic 1.8 but this used to be valve oil seal issues with engines of old albeit the seals themselves or excessive crankcase pressure which can be be a simple PCV type issue, cream crackered seals or an incredibly worn piston/rings with crankcase pressure blowing oil past the valve seals or possibly any other seal!

If it's the latter problem of very worn pistons/rings it tends to smoke under other conditions not just on over run or first booting.

First port all call - just try changing PCV valve and check any pipes etc On first principles it's worth checking crankcase breathing - especially if car has been a lowish mileage of late as condensation and oil mist create a horrible milky blocking oil mayonnaise.

Edited by Big John on 15/07/2021 at 00:49

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The batch of 2012 cars had r3a pistons fitted, later on they switched to correct r1a pistons. Civinfo forum state "The problem with the non standard r3a pistons is mainly due to the fact that the oil ring ( the first from the bottom) is easily covered with carbon deposits and becomes almost or completely clogged. As a result it does not drain oil that is on the cylinder wall when the piston moves down."

SLO considering the above and the smoking is your advice still to get rid? Is it a problem likely to get worse and worse?

I'm going to check the crankcase, it gets used regular with quite a few motorway miles.

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - John F

On similar threads I have read suggestions of how to unclog these piston rings. These involve taking the plugs out and injecting a few mls of some sort of solvent into each combustion chamber and leaving overnight to soak around the edges of the piston down into the ring channels. I would try that with paint thinners. I would also measure as accurately as I could how many miles per litre of oil the engine was doing before and after the procedure, to see if it had worked. The OP hasn't mentioned the rate of oil consumption.

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - SLO76
“ SLO considering the above and the smoking is your advice still to get rid? Is it a problem likely to get worse and worse?”

It probably will deteriorate with such a heavy mileage up and it’ll contaminate the catalyst. The car has served you well and I don’t see prices dropping any time soon so it may be time to bite the bullet and get shot if you need reliability. I’d part ex while it’ll still fetch a couple of grand now rather than wait till it’s scrap.

A later Civic is a good shout but I’d try a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv, you’ll find it a nicer car to drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/07/2021 at 09:43

I did start tracking oil consumption but gave up, it was annoying me thinking about it all the time, the whole thing has been on my mind for a good while (ie. should i get rid, is it going to fail etc!). It uses a fair amount and can chuck out some decent smoke at times.

SLO, I think you're talking sense. Hopefully looking at a couple of grand trade in which is better than nothing. I'll start a new thread asking about car recommendations!

I had a 2013 1.8 Civic bought last year which appeared to be ok, untill I took it home and as we was on lockdown it didn`t move a lot which is why I know how much oil it burnt, apart from faults I missed, this was the worst one, oil light come on dash after 300 miles and took a litre to fill to level

I did after a month another 300 miles and light came on again needing the same top up, I did try the valve in case it was blocked but it was clear so obviuosly it was ring problem, I got shot as it can only get worse with mileage and I normaly do about 15-16000 miles a year so it would have cost me a fortune in oil, only Honda I ever had an oil burning problem with and I have had 6 since 2013.... only changed them for different colours as daft as it sounds

That sounds bad bolt, a litre every 300 miles! Mines not that bad, it seems worse in the Summer months.

Civic 2012 1.8 petrol - Civic 2012 1.8 oil problem advice - catsdad

In 2019 I got rid of my 2012 1.8 Civic at 75k miles when it suddenly started needing oil. It wasn’t a huge amount but as it had been perfect up until then I didn’t want to keep topping it up. I knew from online forums it would probably only get worse. A real shame as it had fsh and new brakes, good Crossclimates and had been treated to Shell Vpower for the 60k miles I had it.

On reflection I was probably a bit hasty (especially as COVID came along and reduced my miles) but then again I like to keep my cars in top order and it would have irked me to keep it with a long term problem.

Well as you can tell it's bothering me too. I'm going to try the thicker oil and monitor things for a while, if I see it turn for the worse again I'll get rid.

The lower the value of it the easier it becomes to run it into the ground really. You probably did right as you'd have still got decent money for it I assume. The fact used car prices are at their highest for a while doesn't help!

I do have a lot of time for the car aswell, it's well looked after and has been a great car for us.