Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Steveieb

My partner has owned this ex demo car for 18 months and I’m really impressed with everything about it.

We made sure to buy the 5year guarantee , just in case but so far nothing repeat nothing has gone wrong.

The car rides on 55 profile tyres which makes for a comfortable ride. The engine is responsive and economical.

It has a conventional handbrake but the Small boot is not so good.

So what’s going on at Renault ? Let’s hope the ex director does the same for JLR!

One question has any one had any experience of the 0.9 petrol. Is it four cylinder and is the diesel beset with DPF problems if used locally ?

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Xileno

I had the 0.9 as a hire car a couple of years ago, there's a thread about my experiences which were positive, bearing in mind this was the previous model. There is an updated one now. The 0.9 is a three cylinder engine.

Here's the thread but remember this is the old model:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=131878

Edited by Xileno on 08/07/2021 at 17:01

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Grenache

I bought a '16 plate Captur recently, the 1.5 diesel, which is economic to run and handles really well

While I was deciding what to buy, I spoke with a few other Captur owners and those who had the 0.9 said that it was fine in town but underpowered out of town or when full of passengers

My only complaint is that there's not a lot of storage space inside, e.g. small glovebox and thin door pockets. Other than that I'd recommend it.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - badbusdriver

As said, the 0.9 is a 3 cylinder. No personal experience of the Captur in any form, but according to SLO, the 0.9 isn't the most reliable power unit.

As for its ability within that car?, I think this comes down more to peoples expectations of performance these days. No, it doesn't have a huge amount of power, but 90bhp is perfectly adequate for most situations (bear in mind, the Captur, certainly with that engine, isn't very heavy, figures I have found range from just over 1100kg to just under 1200kg). Torque, again not a huge amount, but the 140NM it does have comes in a usefully low 2250rpm (our old Honda Jazz made 123NM @ 5000rpm!).

So ignoring the potential reliability issue, whether or not the 0.9 would suit, depends on what kind of performance you expect along with how you drive.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - daveyjp

We had a smart with the 0.9 turbo. Plenty of poke for a car that size and typical turbo with a huge lump of power giving a feeling if rapid acceleration even though it wasn't.

The turbo failed at 15,000 miles.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - glidermania

We had a smart with the 0.9 turbo. Plenty of poke for a car that size and typical turbo with a huge lump of power giving a feeling if rapid acceleration even though it wasn't.

Classic example of someone switching off the engine, not allowing the turbo to cool down for a minute or two after being asked to give 'plenty of poke' delivering a 'huge lump of power.'

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - alan1302

Classic example of someone switching off the engine, not allowing the turbo to cool down for a minute or two after being asked to give 'plenty of poke' delivering a 'huge lump of power.'

Without knowing anything else about the turbo failure it shows nothing at all.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Andrew-T

<< ... the Captur, certainly with that engine, isn't very heavy, figures I have found range from just over 1100kg to just under 1200kg). >>

By today's standards, not very heavy I suppose. I've just checked the weight of the entry-level Pug 205 of 30 years ago - with the 950 or 1124cc engines the kerb weight was 765 kg, about 30% lighter, or looked at the other way round, the Captur weighs 44% more. An indication, I suppose, of how much extra crash protection and gizmos buyers expect in a car today ?

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Steveieb

MAny thanks for your reply.

Whats the situation with DPF issues?

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - badbusdriver

MAny thanks for your reply.

Whats the situation with DPF issues?

I don't think the 1.5DCI is particularly prone to DPF issues, but that doesn't mean I'd take the chance on the diesel if there were other options.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - chesterfieldhouse

My sons partner had a 0.9 13 plate Clio as her first car. Reliable over the 5 years she owned it & it was fine around town. As others have said, not an ideal motorway cruiser & struggled with a full load. Horses for courses l guess.

Youngest daughter has a 14 plate 1.5dci Clio. She bought it 3 & a half years ago, when doing a daily 30 mile commute to work. Since the pandemic she's worked (mainly) from home hence since March 2020 it's been local ish journeys with the odd longer trip. Totally reliable.

No problems so far with the dpf. l was driving her car on one occasion, when the regen kicked in. It was after a 30 minute unbroken journey on A roads, followed by 10 mins of motorway then back onto A roads. l only really noticed being an auto, when it stayed in a higher gear with the revs up for a short period of time.

Would she buy a diesel now...............not so sure.

The reliabilty of my partners Captur is the antithesis of my hairdressers experience of her Kadjar which had an unfixable fault with the infortainment system.

Faced with so many screen failures which necessitated the main dealer keeping one in stock, costing over £1000 each the dealer refused to accept the car back and was instructed to connect to HQ in France to flash to fix.

The car was with them for over six weeks but the fix then produced unconnected faults.

Perhaps this era is finally over !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A, You can't possibly say with any certainty the turbo failure was caused by this.

B, You don't need to let the turbo cool down before switching off unless you have been thrashing it immediately before parking.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - madf

B, You don't need to let the turbo cool down before switching off unless you have been thrashing it immediately before parking.

Recommended to after high speed runs or a long hillclimb.

Recommended to after high speed runs or a long hillclimb.

A high speed run or a long hillclimb is not necessarily going to have the turbo working hard, depends how steep the hill and how fast the run relative to gearing. But unlikely as it is, even if either of those scenario's were the case, unless you live right at the roadside, either at the end of high speed road or top of the long hill, the turbo will have ample opportunity to cool down gradually as you drive into whatever village/town/city you happen to live in.

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/07/2021 at 19:33

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - bathtub tom
the turbo will have ample opportunity to cool down gradually as you drive into whatever village/town/city you happen to live in.

I think the main problem was motorway service areas.

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - FiestaOwner
the turbo will have ample opportunity to cool down gradually as you drive into whatever village/town/city you happen to live in.

I think the main problem was motorway service areas.

Motorway driving shouldn't cause any turbo issues. Cruising in top gear at low revs, your turbo isn't working hard (or heating up).

Renault Captur 1.3 Red Edition - Can this be real? I’m impressed with a French Car - Andrew-T

<<either at the end of high speed road or top of the long hill, the turbo will have ample opportunity to cool down gradually as you drive into whatever village/town/city you happen to live in. >>

Some people like to do a 'long hill-climb' then stop at the top to admire the view ?

<<either at the end of high speed road or top of the long hill, the turbo will have ample opportunity to cool down gradually as you drive into whatever village/town/city you happen to live in. >>

Some people like to do a 'long hill-climb' then stop at the top to admire the view ?

True, but the kind of folk who like to stop at the top of a hill to admire the view are unlikely to have been ragging the car up there! ;-)