Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - catsdad

I have just had the three year 27k service on my Golf. The VW garage rang leaving a message that the brakes would need attention in another month. I assumed they meant pads but when I got there it turned out they meant the brake fluid change was due then.
The pads were (drum roll) only 10% worn. I think they must be underestimating the wear but even with a margin of error this seems remarkably low. My previous Civic pads were flagged up around 30k. And again at 70k, when discs also were needed.
Fair play to VW!
I will have the brakes given a proper old fashioned service by my indie soon and he can change the fluid then. I know opinions differ re brake fluid changes but paying for one change during my tenure seems worthwhile.

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - John F

'10% worn' or even 10% left is pretty meaningless. Brake pad wear is measured in millimetres. They usually start at 10 -12mm thickness, (not including backplate) and will fail the MoT if less than 1.5mm thick. So you have at least 8mm of usable wear. Careful drivers can usually make pads last for at least 40,000 miles. That's around 5000 miles per mm. Garages are prone to advising needless change when they get down to about 3 or 4 mm on the assumption that they won't last till the next service.

There is a common misconception that braking efficiency is proportional to pad thickness, a misunderstanding that some mechanics are pleased to promote.

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - Lee Power

When my 308 T9 went in for service at 38k miles earlier this year, it still had 7mm front & 6mm rear pad life left - not bad for the factory fitted originals.

The originals should easily see out my ownership of the vehicle.

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - edlithgow

There is a common misconception that braking efficiency is proportional to pad thickness, a misunderstanding that some mechanics are pleased to promote.

Not previously heard that one.

When promoting this misconception, do they come up with any explanation/rationale for it?

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - Bolt

When promoting this misconception, do they come up with any explanation/rationale for it?

I have always found the cheap pads when they get below 4mm lose braking power and often start to break up under 3mm so they can and do lose efficiency as they get worn

On occasions even the best of pads can depending how hard a life they have had

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - John F

Nope. Such misconceptions are features of the irrational (c.f. oil losing lubricity after 365 days).

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - Andrew-T

There is clearly no reason to change your pads, nor (presumably) the discs - nor IMHO the brake fluid. But as it seems your brakes have not been worked very hard, it may be worth having the pads out and fettling the calipers to remove dirt and dust.

That would certainly benefit the rear brakes if they are disc, but I would guess they may be drums, which may not need attention at your age and mileage. If rear drums were serviced, then the fluid may as well be changed too.

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - edlithgow

There is clearly no reason to change your pads, nor (presumably) the discs - nor IMHO the brake fluid. But as it seems your brakes have not been worked very hard, it may be worth having the pads out and fettling the calipers to remove dirt and dust.

That would certainly benefit the rear brakes if they are disc, but I would guess they may be drums, which may not need attention at your age and mileage. If rear drums were serviced, then the fluid may as well be changed too.

In the UK I only changed brake fluid as a side effect of other work, and AFAIK I got away with it.

Here in Taiwan I had a scary boiling brake fluid brake failure which made me a believer, and I've seen systems on two old cars perhaps never changed in the vehicle lifetime and apparently using cocoa as a working fluid.

Its very humid here, but its fairly humid in the UK.

Brake fluid is cheap Brake master cylinders are expensive, as is crashing.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/07/2021 at 04:35

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - Galad

I get at least 60k from my front and rear pads (Toyotas). I brake sensibly, anticipating a stop unlike wife and daughter who race up to a junction and then foot to the floor and i kiss the windscreen. Daughter had to change front pads at 20k. Dealer loves to service her car. I dread the clutch life.....

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - Bolt

I brake sensibly, anticipating a stop

I wonder if you could do that driving in Central London, I`m just outside and cannot do that as everyone is in a hurry, unless they drive a Prius ;) or very little traffic around like last year

Golf 1.4 Mk7 - Break pad wear at 27k miles - privateinvestor

After 7 years of motorway driving I decide to change all four discs at 140,000 miles, my pads last 50k( front) and rears 70k