barking exhaust! - farmerhuw
I have a 1994 Fiat Punto 1.2,

Last August I had the middle and rear section of exhaust replaced at a cost of £125. Recently however it has started to blow and sounds like it has a leak. I have been back to the fast fit centre where it was fitted and they have told me that there is nothing wrong with. His explanation was that pattern exhausts never sound the same as genuine parts mainly due to material used etc. He knocked the silencer about and said the baffles are not dislodged. The exhaust is a Arvin so I thought it was a respectable make. Even my friends have noticed what a noise it makes, especially on tick over.

Is there anything I can do about this? I refuse to belive just because it is a pattern exhaust it's like it is. I have had non genuine exhausts before (like the rest of country) without any problems.

any advice gratefully received.

FP
barking exhaust! - Sooty Tailpipes
Sounds like a loose baffle, that resonates at a certain rpm.

I know a bloke who had a Golf, and while up in Scotland, the exhaust came apart, so he went to deleted and they duly replaced it, by the time he got back to Notts, the exhaust was a box of spanners, he went to the local deleted and they said \"You can\'t go on the motorway with a new exhaust\" .....\"sorry no warranty\"...
They claimed that the baffles needed to get hot and clod for a few days before it could be used on a long journey! He got his credit card to refuse payment and went elsewhere.

My g/f got one on a Punto a few years ago at deleted, when she came home, she said come and have a look it hangs down alot, Well, it was obviously some utter rubbish deleted that was meant to fit several vehicles, and instead of being tucked up behind the bumper, there was this monstorous thing hanging down 6\" off the ground. I have seen other Puntos with this since.

These Fast Fit places esp. deleted seem to charge a lot for utter carp, and probably use some exhausts designed to \"Reduce your inventory\" ....\"Just 200 stock items fit over 450 vehicles\"......or something like that.

No naming and shaming, thankyou. DD.

barking exhaust! - DL
I'd firstly make sure it was the right silencer for the application.

A Xantia 1.8 vs 2.0 petrol is a good example of this...

The 1.8 has no intermediate silencer, the 2.0 has. Fit the wrong back-box (They will interchange no problem) and you will end up with a barking exhaust. I know, I've done it!
barking exhaust! - Mondaywoe
Funny you should say that. My old Xantia 1.8 once had a new box fitted at a fast fit firm and it was always much coarser than the original Citroen exhaust - might well have been the box for a 2.0. Latterly, I got a TI Bainbridge fitted by a local independent.It seemed fine.

barking exhaust! - king arthur
These Fast Fit places esp. deleted seem to charge a lot
for utter carp, and probably use some exhausts designed to \"Reduce
your inventory\" ....\"Just 200 stock items fit over 450 vehicles\"......or something
like that.

Yes I have heard this about a certain fast fit chain, if they don't have the right exhaust in stock they'll fit whatever they've got and it'll either hang wrong or touch the underside of the car.
barking exhaust! - Richard Turpin
Probably fast fix if you know what I mean.