Megane Airbag - JohnM52
My daughter tells me that local Reanault Agent advises that passenger airbag cannot be disabled to allow rear facing baby seat to be fitted.

'Y' plate Megane

Can anyone confirm
1) is this correct and
2) if not, how can the bag be disabled?

Many thanks

JohnM52
Megane Airbag - Marcos{P}
This has been discussed before about car seats. You should never have a rear face child car seat in the front of a vehicle period. Test show that not only is it very dangerous for the child if you have a frontal impact but that the driver is more likely to be distracted so resulting in an accident.
Unfortunately I can't answer the airbag question, sorry!
Megane Airbag - Altea Ego
If renault say it cant, it cant. Sure you can take out the airbag fuse, or cut the wire. And yes in the event of an accident you may not be covered for personal injury. Fit child seats in the REAR seats where they are safest.
Megane Airbag - JohnM52
Thanks for the thoughts... the situation is that local Renault Dealer says no. This however is a large Scottish Company who cover many marques and quite how extensive their knowledge is about all the various marques they are dealers for is open to debate. Do we all accept what the dealer says without question .. this goup indicates that we don't and I was only enquiring if someone had practical experience which would indicate the given info is wrong.

Interesting that the freedom to do whatever the individual sees as appropriate so often supported in these groups is being denied here... 'put child seat in back' without thought as to any circumstances. Why do so many cars have adults in front seats when space is available in empty, safer, rear seats, or is that also a matter of choice and somehow 'different'.

Megane Airbag - Altea Ego
My daughter tells me that local Reanault Agent advises that
passenger airbag cannot be disabled to allow rear facing baby seat
to be fitted.
'Y' plate Megane
Can anyone confirm
1) is this correct and
2) if not, how can the bag be disabled?

Very well then.

1/yes this is correct. There is no customer supplied interface to disable the passenger (if fitted) airbag on Megane Mk1's

2/You could, delete the feature from the cars ECU by reprograming the model type designation. YOu could remove the fuse that supplies power to the airbag circuit.

Those are facts. Advice, warnings and thoughts consigned to the bin in the interests of freedom of choice.
Megane Airbag - JohnM52
Many thanks for that help.

JohnM52
Megane Airbag - Cyd
have a look at: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=95...#

My opinion: leave the bags well alone and put junior in the back.
Megane Airbag - harryhammer
John

Renault have instructed that this is not an option on any vehicle in it's range which doesn't have the manual shut off option. Megane mk1 is one of the vehicles which doesn't have this option.

All of the dealer network has been advised of this as has Renault customer services.

I believe that the drivers handbook will also advise you against fitting a rear facing child seat in the front seat.