New reverse switch problem - Vaux Astra - Murray
Hi,
Ive just fitted a new reverse switch to my 92 Astra Merit 1.4 petrol. I unscrewed the old one, screwed in the new one, connected the lead and then the car wouldnt start! I then put the old one back in and the car still wont start - am I just unlucky and something else is wrong, or am I forgetting to do something as I really dont know that much about cars!

Thanks for any feedback.

Murray
New reverse switch problem - Vaux Astra - Dizzy {P}
Murray, I assume that the Astra has a manual gearbox, not automatic. The fault you describe could happen with an auto box and a faulty or incorrectly fitted switch but I can\'t think of any way that this would affect starting in the case of a manual box -- unless it has something to do with a blown fuse that is common to the reverse switch and the starting system - but such a fuse seems unlikely to me.
New reverse switch problem - Vaux Astra - Murray
yeah,

its a manual box, and the fuse for the reverse lights/lighter is fine. Who knows....time to phone the auto sparky?
My Astra manual/book doesnt list any fuses that control the starting system - are there any?

Thanks for the response,
Murray
New reverse switch problem - Vaux Astra - Dizzy {P}
I doubt if there is anything in the starting system that is protected by a fuse but couldn't think of anything else that might be common to the reversing switch and the failure to start.

DD's suggestion about accidentally disturbing an ignition system connection seems much more likely.
New reverse switch problem - Vaux Astra - Dynamic Dave
connected the lead and then the car wouldnt start...

Can you elaborate a little? By not start, I take it the engine still turns over? If so, check that you haven't disturbed any of the HT leads or the low voltage supply lead to the coil. Easily done while reaching past these to get to the reverse light switch. Why not whip out a plug and see if you've got a spark.