2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - pamelaahelmerr

Been advised of an uneconomical repair with my car, which has always been mechanically trustworthy until the keyless start failed me before lockdown. I am in turmoil over what to do as the repairs will be in excess of the value of the car. It has done 105,000 miles and needs check a new ID controller unit and Keyless start control unit to 'see if it helps' as they are unsure of the issue due to an unexpected response on the ECU. They say it will then need reprogramming and resting but that other work may need doing if these modules don't sort the issue. It has done me a good service and in the climate of the times, I have to wonder whether it is worth attempting to fix or to sell as spare and repairs. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - _

Let it go,

Do you feel like giving a blank cheque?

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Big John

Let it go,

Do you feel like giving a blank cheque?

Is this an indication of what's coming our way? All these complex keyless entry, digital dash, crash detection/avoidance, emission control systems etc are getting more and more complex and when current new cars are a few years old it will not be economic to repair if one of these complex systems fails.

Edited by Big John on 09/06/2021 at 11:33

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Andrew-T

You are in the eternal dilemma of comparing cost of repair with value of car. That approach usually fails to allow for buying a replacement.

As yours has been 'mechanically trustworthy', repair may still be the cheaper option. I presume the problem has been diagnosed by a reputable auto-electrician rather than a Suzuki franchised dealer ? Those people may have more relevant experience.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - John F

I am in turmoil over what to do as the repairs will be in excess of the value of the car. It has done 105,000 miles

.Virtually any repair will be 'in excess of the value of' a ten year old car with a six figure mileage. A dealer will offer you peanuts if traded in. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be sensible to repair it, especially if it is merely ten years old.

The first significant repair on our family Focus was done at 114,000 miles and sixteen years old - fuel pump. The next were at 120,000 miles and seventeen years old - coil pack, and £100 of welding to pass the MoT. At nineteen years and 145,000 miles, a further £100 welding on the other side. Now at nearly twenty one years old and over 150,000 miles it has just needed new rear wheel bearings.

This might seem a lot, but these bills were a fraction of just one year's depreciation cost of a newish replacement, which is what you need to consider if finances are limited and your old car has effectively stopped depreciating. Opinion will vary here, but I think a bona fide MoT'd car allowing a year's motoring is worth at least £800, whatever its age or mileage.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - SLO76
It’ll cost probably £2k or more to get a reliable replacement. If this repair is going to cost less than £600 I’d say it’s the cheap option. I’d take it to a proper auto electrician rather than allowing a garage to throw parts at it. Plus, have you tried the spare key? It might not be recognising the key you’re using, chipped keys are a regular failure on older cars like this.
2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t believe it needs all this to fix it . I realise its keyless start , but there must be an emergency proximity sensor on the dash somewhere that allows the keyless to be overridden . Has this been tried .
2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - movilogo

Can keyless cars be converted to with non-keyless cars?

Never liked the idea of keyless entry in the first place.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it would be a very expensive operation.
2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - tanvir

The Swift key has a switch on the back which allows you to take the blade out, which you can use in the ignition barrel (there is a keyslot inside the knob)

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Ian D
I would look at eBay/ parts from a scrappie, there will be cars like yours out there that have been written off with a minor shunt with the parts you need for not much
2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - focussed

Been advised of an uneconomical repair with my car, which has always been mechanically trustworthy until the keyless start failed me before lockdown. I am in turmoil over what to do as the repairs will be in excess of the value of the car. It has done 105,000 miles and needs check a new ID controller unit and Keyless start control unit to 'see if it helps' as they are unsure of the issue due to an unexpected response on the ECU. They say it will then need reprogramming and resting but that other work may need doing if these modules don't sort the issue. It has done me a good service and in the climate of the times, I have to wonder whether it is worth attempting to fix or to sell as spare and repairs. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'll be surprised if this little company cannot sort out the problems you have.

www.remmington.info/autotec.html

www.remmington.info/testrepairs.html