Any - Uber drivers - dan86

Is it just me or are not all but the majority of Uber drivers in London the worst drivers on the road (closely followed by Addison Lee). They seem to have the worst spacial awareness and a complete lack of observational skills of any road users, I drive cars, lorries and I also cycle and by far the worst are Uber drivers for cutting up, turning with no signals getting to close when overtaking (whilst cycling), doing 3 point turns in the worst places I could carry on all day but I won't.

Now I've had my rant what are the opinions of other back roomers when it comes to worst road users?

Any - Uber drivers - nellyjak

Worst road users.?...I guess like most of us I consider the worst drivers are.... anyone else but me...lol

But seriously, I treat ALL other road users as a potential hazard...most of the time everything is fine and dandy...but, it only takes a moment for that to change.

My biggest gripe is the obvious lack of awareness and empathy for anyone else on the road...irrelevant of the vehicle being driven.

The roads have become a very "get out of my way" place to be.

Any - Uber drivers - Rerepo

A bit before Covid I had an absolutely terrifying Uber ride. The driver was Somalian and quite friendly but I can't believe he'd ever passed a driving test. Wandering erratically from lane to lane and stepping abruptly on and off the throttle. The journey lasted about 40 minutes and toward the end he started telling me that aliens were sucking oxygen out of the atmosphere. I don't think he was 'the full shilling' and I was so relieved to get out of that car! I was very concerned he would cause a serious accident and I sent Uber a message about his driving but never received a reply.

Any - Uber drivers - Xileno

"But seriously, I treat ALL other road users as a potential hazard...most of the time everything is fine and dandy...but, it only takes a moment for that to change."

So do I, particularly when out on the motorbike. You develop a level of anticipation that you don't so easily in a car. In a car most likely just damaged metal, on a bike a day out with the undertaker. My own view is that because of this, many motorcyclists make better car drivers in terms of hazard perception. Hazards many car drivers won't think twice about could have you falling off.

Any - Uber drivers - focussed

There used to be an official taxi driving test for prospective taxi drivers to qualify for their licence. But not all councils who licence taxi drivers were obliged by law to insist on a test pass before licencing taxi drivers, I am presuming here that Uber drivers are some sort of taxi driver.

www.gov.uk/government/news/dvsa-taxi-driving-tests...6

But a test is mandatory in Northern Ireland!

www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/taxi-driver-practical...t

Edited by focussed on 08/06/2021 at 20:20

Any - Uber drivers - Bolt

Is it just me or are not all but the majority of Uber drivers in London the worst drivers on the road (closely followed by Addison Lee). They seem to have the worst spacial awareness and a complete lack of observational skills of any road users, I drive cars, lorries and I also cycle and by far the worst are Uber drivers for cutting up, turning with no signals getting to close when overtaking (whilst cycling), doing 3 point turns in the worst places I could carry on all day but I won't.

Now I've had my rant what are the opinions of other back roomers when it comes to worst road users?

There is another firm around Bromley, they have probably the worst drivers around, and are the worlds worst for sudden stopping and dropping people off, or picking up in the middle of the road, then doing an 8 point turn where they picked up passenger

they also have a habbit of driving at a snails pace, presuming they are the only car about. or don`t care...which I think is the case

Any - Uber drivers - Tunder
Got an Uber when I was last in Birmingham.

I was at a hotel and a had a headache so didn’t want to drive to my client that I had arranged to see before popping in to a regional office near Colmore Row.

I had to tell the driver that he passed my office twice before heading off to find the client and when he went the wrong way down a one way street I bailed!

Any - Uber drivers - dan86

There is another firm around Bromley, they have probably the worst drivers around, and are the worlds worst for sudden stopping and dropping people off, or picking up in the middle of the road, then doing an 8 point turn where they picked up passenger

they also have a habbit of driving at a snails pace, presuming they are the only car about. or don`t care...which I think is the case

You wouldn't be talking about Canon cars by any chance would you?

Whenever I see the green disk in the window of a car I try and give it a wide berth as you're certain of bad driving. Whilst riding home from work I had one just swing straight out on me to do a turn in the road on a one way street, had to slam on the breaks causing the bike to skid.

Any - Uber drivers - Bolt

You wouldn't be talking about Canon cars by any chance would you?

Whenever I see the green disk in the window of a car I try and give it a wide berth as you're certain of bad driving. Whilst riding home from work I had one just swing straight out on me to do a turn in the road on a one way street, had to slam on the breaks causing the bike to skid.

I wouldn`t put anything past most of them, imo, they don`t care who else is around and do as they please literaly..

Any - Uber drivers - John Boy

Xileno said of motorcyclists "You develop a level of anticipation that you don't so easily in a car. In a car most likely just damaged metal, on a bike a day out with the undertaker."

When I was learning to drive a car the instructor guessed I was a motorcyclist because he thought I was taking up too much road space. That was the result of being overtaken so closely by a car in a single lane that it took off the panier on the right hand side of the bike.

Any - Uber drivers - brum

Xileno said of motorcyclists "You develop a level of anticipation that you don't so easily in a car. In a car most likely just damaged metal, on a bike a day out with the undertaker."

When I was learning to drive a car the instructor guessed I was a motorcyclist because he thought I was taking up too much road space. That was the result of being overtaken so closely by a car in a single lane that it took off the panier on the right hand side of the bike.

Funny you mention motor cyclists. 2 days ago I was returning on the M1 just north of London, traffic erratically speeding up/down, swapping lanes without indication. 60+ mph

Not one but twice witnessed motorcyclists weaving round cars in the fast lane, hanging less than a couple of metres on the left hand rear of said car in the fast lane, the first motorcyclist then undertaking, while still in hanging in the same fast lane as the car , even though it was clear the car driver was unaware as he was wandering. The second even more stupid, with his loud exhaust , again undertaking several cars while in the fast lane, then in front of me squeezing between a car and a HGV travelling in fast/next lane. Both took their time too.

Have they a death wish? They certainly deserved it with what I witnessed. No thought for the carnage that would result.

Any - Uber drivers - brum

A couple of years ago, my son had his car written off by a mincab driver in an old Avensis who shot out of a side road trying to get straight across to the the other side. His view of the main road was blocked by cars parked illegally at the junction.

The driver said nothing at all but his name and telephone number which turned out to be the taxicab firms number. Driver couldn't/wouldn't speak any english at all, he looked unpeturbed, just lit a fag and calmly looked on non plused. Despite subsequent intimidating telephone calls from the taxi firm's boss, blaming my son,and very belated threats to sue, £5000 for "injuries" (there were none, slow speeds), 2 years later our insurance finally got them when they refused to attend court. Who knows, he may even have left the country or "disappeared"?

Only time I've used Uber was on a weekend in Krakow. A guy turned up in an tatty old Mitsubishi colt that stank of petrol and had no carpet in the boot over his tools. No working aircon in 30 deg heat. After the short uncomfortable journey, I asked how much, first in Polish, blank look, then in English, then German, still nothing. I waved some money and he just pointed to his phone.

The point is if taxi drivers don't have a rudimentary knowledge of the local language, how the hell do they get a licence to drive a taxi? Surely there is an obligation to obtain a local driving licence and appropriate proficiency qualification and permissions? Do they use forged documents? Does Uber (and other firms) really ensure they and their car are fit to provide such a service.