Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - DavidGlos
Out for a dog walk this afternoon and walked past a rather shiny Tesla Model X, complete with personalised number plates. Must be £80k+ of pretty high performance car…

…complete with a couple of Landsail tyres! Each to their own, but clearly a family wagon and, IMHO, compromised somewhat by pretty much the cheapest tyre that could be found!

I just don’t get why people splash out an arm and a leg on a snazzy car and number plate and then compromise their and other road users safety with a couple of ditchfinder tyres!
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Metropolis.
They probably just took it to the local tyre place who fitted what they had in stock with chunky markup. Most car owners only care if the tyre holds air and is above legal thread limits.
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - daveyjp

May also have been a lease car and the owner had no say in the matter.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - SLO76
Car will be on contract lease or PCP and thus the current keeper will never own or care about it and this is why it’s so difficult to find a good, well looked after used car with a full history these days. Dealers like AC tend to fit cheap nasty tyres too. Personally I’d rather buy the car cheaper and fit good tyres especially with a performance car like this. Cheap rubber can ruin the dynamics.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/06/2021 at 19:33

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - badbusdriver

It isn't just the performance in this case, it is also the weight. This thing weighs around 2.5 tonnes, and that, combined with a power output of at least 280bhp, up to more than 600bhp means good quality tyres are absolutely essential IMO.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Steveieb
Same reaction when a customer in the queue at GSF bought a set of pads for his M power five series costing £27.
The assistant recomrnded the £65 ones but the customer took no notice.
Out of sight !
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - edlithgow
Same reaction when a customer in the queue at GSF bought a set of pads for his M power five series costing £27. The assistant recomrnded the £65 ones but the customer took no notice. Out of sight !

Same reaction (by who?) maybe, but not the same thing.

IF the cheapo tyre has inferior grip in the wet, say, which is quite likely, then braking performance in a single emergency stop could be compromised, which is a potential safety issue.

Since pretty much any brake pad has the ability to lock up the wheels (or if you've got it, activate the ABS) and this is all the performance you can use, there will be no difference in a single emergency stop.

Performance brake pads resist heat better, so are more effective under sustained hard braking. If he doesn't drive like that (I don't, but of course I don't drive an M power 5 series) they aren''t any use to him, as they wouldn't be to me.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/06/2021 at 16:59

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - tim10597

I’ve never understood the rationale for skimping on tyres. I know lease companies will save every last penny but for me, I’ll always go for the premium tyres. My weekend car has just gone for it’s annual service and MOT. It’s only done 900 miles this last year but is being treated to a new set of Michelin’s as the old tyres are starting to perish. No doubt the replacements will be changed due to age rather than mileage but I’d rather have the peace of mind of decent tyres rather than saving a few quid on cheap tyres.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - FoxyJukebox
Totally agree-I change all four with decent replacements every 4 yrs estimated max mileage 30,000,
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - DavidGlos
I’ve had company cars on and off for 20+ years. Various lease companies, but with maintenance and tyres included. None of the lease companies have fitted ditchfinders. Generally Michelin, Bridgestone or Continental, with one set of Hankook for good measure.

I suspect it’s people with cars on PCP who are skimping on tyres
“I suspect it’s people with cars on PCP who are skimping on tyres.”

Or on a personal lease with no maintenance like the Honda CRV I had. Fortunately the original tyres had plenty of life left at 44,000 miles and 4yrs when I handed it back but yes, if they had needed replacement shortly before returning the car then a set of the cheapest nastiest rubber I could get would’ve adorned it.
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - JonestHon

I understand the notion discussed here.

However, I yet to see real-life figures linking so called ditch-finders (or any brand) to post accidents forensics. Bad/no maintenance is probably more of a concern than brand.

Looking at the various 'who own what' in the tyre industry it is clear the so called ditch-finders are made in the PRC. So the question is : if there were safety concerns with Chinese tyres why was duty dropped by 0.5% in May last year? (2.5% pre Brexit and now 2%).

In my experience some brands last less then other in average 10k usage (Nexen never lasted me more than two years but LandSail lasting me now at almost three).

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - pd

I wouldn't put Nexen in the ditchfinder category these days. They tend to be pretty decent tyres.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - John F

Global trade is undoubtedly leveling most people up (and us down - I don't support Chinese imports). However, unless the OP can provide some reliable comparative evidence, I see no reason to pejoratively refer to Landsail tyres as 'ditchfinders.'

www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Landsail/LS588-UHP.htm

As for cheap brake pads on powerful cars, the front pads I fitted to my 400+bhp Audi cost £33.71 from Autodoc. They seem to work just as well as the ones from the OEM even if they might not last as long (70,000miles). Half that would be fine for me, doing fewer than 3k per annum.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - badbusdriver

However, I yet to see real-life figures linking so called ditch-finders (or any brand) to post accidents forensics. Bad/no maintenance is probably more of a concern than brand.

Looking at the various 'who own what' in the tyre industry it is clear the so called ditch-finders are made in the PRC. So the question is : if there were safety concerns with Chinese tyres why was duty dropped by 0.5% in May last year? (2.5% pre Brexit and now 2%).

In my experience some brands last less then other in average 10k usage (Nexen never lasted me more than two years but LandSail lasting me now at almost three).

I, on the other hand, completely fail to see the rational that what type of tyres you buy should be determined solely on how long they will last before you have to dust your wallet off again and grudgingly spend some more money on (yes, its been said before!) the only part of your car actually in contact with the road.

You are simply not going to find any real life figures as to what impact cheap tyres have in actual accidents. Why?, because beyond whether or not the tyres have the minimum legal tread requirement, an insurance/Police investigator, won't consider it a factor.

Consider this hypothetical situation. Two identical cars side by side at the same speed on a streaming wet dual carriageway, a tree falls across both carriageways. One car, wearing good quality tyres, stops in time, while the other, wearing cheap Chinese tyres, collides with the tree. The only way it could be determined that the tyres were a factor would be if the investigators widened the investigation to include any other cars in the vicinity which didn't have an accident, and why. And that's not likely to happen is it?.

There are plenty of real tyre tests which prove conclusively (unless you think, as at least one forum member seems to, the results are 'faked') how much worse poor quality tyres perform than good quality ones, especially in poor conditions. So looking for non existent 'proof' of real accident statistics taking tyre quality into account seems like just an excuse to carry on saving money on tyres.

As for the maintenance factor, the MOT test will determine whether or not the brakes and steering work, whether or not the wipers will clear away the rain, whether or not the headlights work (etc, etc), but it won't determine how much longer it will take a poor quality tyre to stop the car on a wet/slippy road.

You are only going to find out where that extra money goes in a situation where you need to do an emergency stop, or an extreme avoidance manoeuvre. Hopefully that will never happen, but, y'know, "hope for the best, plan for the worst", etc!

I, on the other hand, completely fail to see the rational that what type of tyres you buy should be determined solely on how long they will last before you have to dust your wallet off again and grudgingly spend some more money on (yes, its been said before!) the only part of your car actually in contact with the road.

I don't believe you. The rationale is quite obvious. Cheap tyres are cheaper.

They may in some (or most?) cases, be less safe, but people who buy cheap tyres accept this unquantified but probably rather small additional risk in the interests of saving money.

People take such decisions all the time, in all aspects of life. Some people smoke. Or eat bacon sarnies. Or ride bicycles

Driving at all is such a decision. It would generally be much safer not to, even on the very best tyres money could buy.

I buy used tyres, body swerving the "ditchfinder" label, so I suppose I must be in the clear?

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Bolt

They may in some (or most?) cases, be less safe, but people who buy cheap tyres accept this unquantified but probably rather small additional risk in the interests of saving money.

People take such decisions all the time, in all aspects of life. Some people smoke. Or eat bacon sarnies. Or ride bicycles

Driving at all is such a decision. It would generally be much safer not to, even on the very best tyres money could buy.

I buy used tyres, body swerving the "ditchfinder" label, so I suppose I must be in the clear?

Not just about the tyre though, the roads are not too good in a lot of places including our motorways, so even the best tyres will find it difficult going on certain surfaces even tarmac depending on how its laid can cause a tyre problems

So until all roads are properly surfaced no tyre is perfect M25 is perfect example of poor road surface and a challenge for any tyre imo.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Engineer Andy

Not just about the tyre though, the roads are not too good in a lot of places including our motorways, so even the best tyres will find it difficult going on certain surfaces even tarmac depending on how its laid can cause a tyre problems

So until all roads are properly surfaced no tyre is perfect M25 is perfect example of poor road surface and a challenge for any tyre imo.

I've never liked concrete road surfaces, including the stretches on the SE part of the M25 and long stretches of the A30 in Cornwall/Devon. Very noisy, which presumably means more wear.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Terry W

Autobild run tests on tyres in which they to use 9/10 big brand names, and 1/10 "ditchfinder" as some sort of control. The DF comes nowhere near the top overall, but in many cases puts up an adequate performance.

Are they worth fitting - the performance gains are likely to be illusory unless your normal driving style often challenges the limits. Otherwise they MAY only be an issue in emergency braking or steering which for a cautious driver is typically infrequent.

Do I fit them - no, despite having a generally relaxed driving style. That they may save me £150 a set every ~3 years (£50pa) is insufficient to warrant the risk.

Many cheap tyres are probably made using design and tooling from mid-market ranges from 5-10 years ago. Perhaps todays DF was the quality fitment 15 years ago!!

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Andrew-T

However, I have yet to see figures linking so called ditch-finders (or any brand) to post accidents forensics. Bad/no maintenance is probably more of a concern than brand..

I tend to agree. Like many other things, you get what you pay for. With tyres, I suggest that includes durability, comfortable ride, wet grip, and perhaps a formulation which stiffens sooner than pricier brands. If cheap new tyres were a serious threat to driver safety I doubt that they would be marketable for long.

Remoulds or part-worn tyres must pose a much more serious threat than new tyres with a cheap price tag. Another idea is that by spending twice as much one is twice as safe, is rather simplistic and may give a false sense of security ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/06/2021 at 11:08

Like many other things, you get what you pay for.

I had to look into the research on that (as a general proposition, not specifically tyres) a few years ago and the general conclusion from quite a lot of studies on a wide range of consumer goods, was that you don't.

Keeping it automotive, this is not all that surprising when you consider the price/performance ratio (where performance includes things like reliability and customer satisfaction) of marques like Mercedes,

I agree.

My wife had a new 2014 Q3 TFSI that she had from new as part of her job package (despite my dislike to the brand).

This car was far more expensive to purchase than my 2010 Avensis. The Audi was fairly troublesome after third year of her using it and around 90k up and down the country.

I remember bills around the £2000 mark for all sort of niggles like new ECU, ABS sensors and many other. She got rid of it after four years and chose a 2018 petrol Kia Ceed that never once had a spot of trouble and saved her employer a tonne of money.

One can o on and on about the perception that what cost more is always better, however when colliding with reality things are very different.

One can o on and on about the perception that what cost more is always better, however when colliding with reality things are very different.

That's not what I said - I said you get what you pay for. Tyres are a relatively simple item with a few defining characteristics. A car is more complex, in the case of an Audi most buyers get what they pay for - cachet and street cred.

That's not what I said - I said you get what you pay for. Tyres are a relatively simple item with a few defining characteristics. A car is more complex, in the case of an Audi most buyers get what they pay for - cachet and street cred.

Fair enough, but if you widen the definition of value to include subjective benefits, it becomes a rather circular statement. You must get what you pay for because if you didn't you wouldn't pay it stylee.

In the case of premium tyres, the subjective benefits would include reassurance and perhaps a certain feeling of moral superiority over people like me.

Happy to have been of service :)

<< In the case of premium tyres, the subjective benefits would include reassurance and perhaps a certain feeling of moral superiority over people like me. >>

Reverting to the topic of tyres, I guess most of us are unable to judge what inner differences determine the apparent price tag. The structure of the carcass? The rubber formulation? Quality of rubber feedstock ? The accuracy of process control ? Processing cost in the country of origin? The response of demand to published surveys of driveability ? Maybe the biggest factor is the name on the badge, rather like cars.

As a chemist I would have thought that the cost of varying the formulation to optimise durability and other driving properties would be fairly marginal, so I guess economies can be made in carcass structure, and perhaps in neatness of finished appearance.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/06/2021 at 09:37

<< In the case of premium tyres, the subjective benefits would include reassurance and perhaps a certain feeling of moral superiority over people like me. >>

Reverting to the topic of tyres, I guess most of us are unable to judge what inner differences determine the apparent price tag. The structure of the carcass? The rubber formulation? Quality of rubber feedstock ? The accuracy of process control ? Processing cost in the country of origin? The response of demand to published surveys of driveability ? Maybe the biggest factor is the name on the badge, rather like cars.

As a chemist I would have thought that the cost of varying the formulation to optimise durability and other driving properties would be fairly marginal, so I guess economies can be made in carcass structure, and perhaps in neatness of finished appearance.

Staying with the topic of tyres, you've got rather a mixture of factors there. Some of them are "inner differences" as you say, related to costs. but "The response of demand to published surveys of driveability" and "the name on the badge" are both external market factors, and the second one obviously has a big subjective benefit element. This is directly connected to costs via the advertising budget, which is likely to be a lot bigger for a big brand, almost by definition.

Fair enough, but if you widen the definition of value to include subjective benefits, it becomes a rather circular statement. You must get what you pay for because if you didn't you wouldn't pay it stylee.

In the case of premium tyres, the subjective benefits would include reassurance and perhaps a certain feeling of moral superiority over people like me.

Happy to have been of service :)

Remind me not to accept an offer of a lift from you if it's raining out... :-)

Time and again, 99% of the top-rated tyres for grip/handling/performance, especially in poor weather (and which are at least reasonable on wear) are the more expensive ones and those at the bottom are the cheapest.

There are always outliers (as I indicated above), but in the main, the axiom of' you get what you pay for' holds true with tyres.

My car is hardly a flashy or (even when new) expensive one, but I always look for a (high) minimum quality for replacement tyres. Sometimes I get lucky that a highly rated tyre is not that expensive, but I'd never pay for one/a set that was poor quality just to save money. For the same reason, I don't buy cheap knock-off parts.

The problem with 'ditchfinder' tyres is that, IMHO, you're lulled into a false sense of security because normal driving, especially in good weather, never puts anywhere near the maxium-rated load/forces on the tyres - it's only in very bad weather and/or when trying to avoid an accident when you really know the benefit of a decent set of tyres.

<< Time and again, 99% of the top-rated tyres for grip/handling/performance, especially in poor weather (and which are at least reasonable on wear) are the more expensive ones and those at the bottom are the cheapest. There are always outliers (as I indicated above), but in the main, the axiom of' you get what you pay for' holds true with tyres. >>

I think it would be surprising if that were otherwise; but the question which I think all of us may have difficulty answering is the scale of the difference between the top and bottom ratings. I hope published comparisons are made scientifically, but if a quantifiable scale of tyre safety can be devised, I wonder how far apart the 'best' and 'worst' tyres would be. If only 10 or 20%, many drivers would be justified in buying cheap tyres if they prefer to drive moderately and in dry conditions.

And then there are considerations of noise or comfortable ride. Top-rated tyres may not tick all the boxes for everyone.

"The problem with 'ditchfinder' tyres is that, IMHO, you're lulled into a false sense of security"

Normal driving in Taiwan does not ever lull one into a false sense of security, unless one is Taiwanese, and just burned incense at the temple.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/06/2021 at 03:34

Out for a dog walk this afternoon and walked past a rather shiny Tesla Model X, complete with personalised number plates. Must be £80k+ of pretty high performance car… …complete with a couple of Landsail tyres! Each to their own, but clearly a family wagon and, IMHO, compromised somewhat by pretty much the cheapest tyre that could be found! I just don’t get why people splash out an arm and a leg on a snazzy car and number plate and then compromise their and other road users safety with a couple of ditchfinder tyres!

Indeed. A former colleague was an advocate of this, owning Jags but fitting ditchfinder tyres to 'save money'. I wouldn't be surprised if he also got the cheapest service as well.

As others have said, rented cars or those on hire purchase/PCP etc will often get cheapo tyres put on them prior to being returned because it's cheaper and still legal. Some dealers will do so prior to putting them on sale (secondhand) to get an MOT pass or where there was obvious damage to a tyre, but it means the purchaser has to be savvy and check for such things.

I certainly would never buy a car with ditchfinder tyres, except where the seller took the price of replacement tyres from a decent make off the final price. To me, they're are just not worth the risk just to save a few Quid.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - madf

If I were on PCP and the 3 years are coming to an end I would only buy cheap tyres. Period.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Gibbo_Wirral

Halfords is a big seller of Landsail tyres. They claim:

• "Great value tyre
  • Enhanced wet grip"

<< I certainly would never buy a car with ditchfinder tyres, except where the seller took the price of replacement tyres from a decent make off the final price. To me, they're are just not worth the risk just to save a few quid. >>

Many posters to this thread seem to think that a 'cheap' tyre automatically equals 'ditchfinder', simply because it is cheap. Finding ditches is down mainly to the behaviour of the driver in the prevailing conditions. I guess that will be a (very) small part of the difference, but I think other design factors (mentioned in my post above) are more important.

<< I certainly would never buy a car with ditchfinder tyres, except where the seller took the price of replacement tyres from a decent make off the final price. To me, they're are just not worth the risk just to save a few quid. >>

Many posters to this thread seem to think that a 'cheap' tyre automatically equals 'ditchfinder', simply because it is cheap. Finding ditches is down mainly to the behaviour of the driver in the prevailing conditions. I guess that will be a (very) small part of the difference, but I think other design factors (mentioned in my post above) are more important.

True, but rarely are poor quality tyres amongst those that are expensive. The 'budget' tyres tend, in my view, to form two groups - the decent grip in ordinary conditions, but not in (say) really heavy rain or the cold, but which wear very quickly compared to quality tyres, and those that wear very slowly but grip poorly, particularly in the cold, wet or ice/snow.

The problem with tyres is that because they work differently for each vehicle they are fitted to (i.e. some work well, some not so much), there are little 'standards' that can be set to determine a minimum level of safety in all conditions.

What would be good is for some test tyres to be made using the design from tyres considered to be high quality from 10-15 years ago and compare them in use in two identical cars over a decent length of time/conditions in proper (not track test) usage in the real world.

Only then can we reasonably identify how far the sector has come and whether the budget end of the market are even worth a look.

I drove another Mazda3 gen-1 1.6 petrol at one of my workplaces (it was a pool car) which had cheaper tyres (but not 'ditchfinders) fitted, and I felt it was fine in warm sunny waether, but I definitely felt driving in the wet they felt less assured than when I drove mine with its second set.

Admitedly my car's OEM tyres (Bridgestone ER30), which weren't cheap back then, had a similar experience after the first year or so of use, particularly in the last 1-2 years (of 6) before changing them.

Sometimes more expensive tyres from 'premium' makes turn out to be poor (the ER30s get VERY poor user reviews on TyreReviews), but I suspect that with the 'ditchfinder' makes, the vast majority of them would fall into that category until the brand feels able to 'move up' in terms of quality once sales give them the funds to invest in better design and production.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - sammy1

There are rich and poor people buying tyres on different budgets. If the so called ditchfinders were that poor cars would be flying off roads and rear ending and this is just not the case. .Bad driving and poor concentration are the cause of most accidents. Most manufacturers make their own so called budget tyres along side of their premium brands. If we are importing tyres all the way from China it is no wonder the planet is reportedly in a mess,

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Gibbo_Wirral

You can see in the tyre reviews that the only thing Landsail tyres do is increase stopping distance by a few metres:

alltyretests.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Landsa...g

You can see in the tyre reviews that the only thing Landsail tyres do is increase stopping distance by a few metres:

alltyretests.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Landsa...g

I suspect that many of these cheaper tyres also are far worse when part worn as well.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - brum

The Pirelli P7 I have fitted as OE on my Skoda Superb are the noisiest tyres I've ever encountered by a long chalk. I was thinking the wheel bearings or differential were shot until I realised everyone on Briskoda complains about them and the very rare smooth tarmac I come accross, they suddenly go quiet.

The Bridgestone Turanzas fitted as OE on our Fabia may as well be bald or slick tyres if there is any snow or ice around, and are the only tyre that ABS can't fetch under some sort of control in those circumstances. 100+ metre slides and brown trousers. Noisy too.

Michelin tyres always seem to microcrack very quickly after a couple of years. The cross climates we had on a fabia became very noisy and one became non circular giving a loud thump thump thump as it turned.

Continental have always been ok for me but wear far too quickly.

Goodyear efficient grip performance tyres always seem to wear strangely on the inner edge and there seems to be a construction or design issue that almost looks that the tyre is ready to seperate or delaminate around the last inch of tread circumference. 3 sets on 3 different cars so not geometry related.

I was surprised at the quality and performance of BF goodrich g-grip which I always thought was a budget tyre.

Goodyear Vector 4 seasons are very good, but expensive and directional, which makes it useless for a spare

My goto tyre has been Vredestein Quatrac 5 but they are being discontinued and the replacement quattrac (6) is now a directional tyre, the ones I just bought yet to fit are made in Hungary, not the Netherlands as previous tyres. They came without those multicolour chalk lines on the circumference, which I thought was normal during QC testing.

Quatrac pro gets mixed/poor reviews

Vredesteins used to be budget, now mid range, but as good or beeter than the big boys imo.

I'm sure many of the older members will remember their early driving experience in rather shabby rust boxes, some on cross ply tyres, bald, nylon cords showing, badly balanced, and steering/suspension falling to bits. And still managing to make it across Snake Pass in the middle of winter in one piece. 1970's fondly remembered.

Drivers soon learn to know the limitations of their car and tyres and adapt quickly. Nothing quite like a heart stopping moment to reign on your inner Striling Moss.

I presume there are EU regs that tyres have to meet before they can be sold, just like brake pads ECE R90 that even a £10 set of pads need to perform within 30% of the OE specification.

Take reviews with a pinch of salt, different tyre sizes, cars, subjective opinion, test tracks run by tyre companies, sponsors etc etc About as useful as the the comment "I suspect that many of these cheaper tyres also are far worse when part worn as well."

Michelin seem to think differently.

Edited by brum on 09/06/2021 at 13:14

Oh I never go just by one review, whether that's a 'professional' review or a user review, plus I always take the car and location tested into account. It's why I like the Tyre Reviews website, as it includes many reviews by motoring magazines and many users, including where the users give their car's details and usage pattern/driving style/mileage on those tyres.

Why would Michelin think that the difference in performance between cheapo part-worn tyres and premium ones are greater than when new? Michelin in particular position their product to deteriorate less in performance terms when worn than the competition, and wear less (for the most part).

I've had a set of Michelin CC+ on my Mazda3 for 3 years now, and they look and work very well, with no apparent cracking. I can't speak for other tyres in their range.

I found the previous set I had on the car, Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse, equally good and long lasting (I changed them at 6yo and because I wanted to downsize from 16in to 15in as the alloys had corroded and needed replacing [the 15in alloys and tyres are far cheaper]).

The OEM Bridgetsone ER30s got hard after a year, reducing the ride quailty, then after 4-5 years got very noisy on anything bar smooth tarmac, but still gripped and handled very well in the dry, but increasing worse in the wet.

On both occasions when replacing my tyres, I made sure I read reviews on tyres from owners of the same model as me before choosing, plus looking at similar sized/equipped (engine type/size) cars' tyre reviews too. I would concur far more with the user reviews at Tyre Reviews than those on tyre fitters' website, which rarely give any score below 4 stars.

I would rather not buy a cheapo, poor set of tyres and crawl around everywhere (and peeing off all other road users) to 'adapt' to the poor characteristsic of the tyres, though that's not to say I would drive round like a racing driver on my current set. A decent set of tyres gives me confidence that they will assist me avoid an accident where the cause of the incident is initially of out my control.

Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - up north

To be fair they are not too far off some of the major brands. I like Crossclimates and Goodyear equivalent, highly rated by Honest John, but I suspect the summer performance isn't as good as Landnsnail.

To be fair they are not too far off some of the major brands. I like Crossclimates and Goodyear equivalent, highly rated by Honest John, but I suspect the summer performance isn't as good as Landnsnail.

Like the typo there. :-)

To compare, I've found my current set of CC+s just as good in summer conditions as the (excellent) preveious set of Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse I had on my car, and that's including change the (wheels and) tyre profile from 205/55 R16V to 195/65 R15H. CC+s in particular are summer-biased A/S tyres, and as such compare very well with equivalent mainstream (i.e. not 'high performance') quality summer tyres.

The difference always comes in the wet, very cold/icy or other poor driving conditions - the stopping distances, general grip and handling characteristics are always far worse than on a nice warm sunny day, thus the difference when comparing them with ones like the Lansail will be far more (and have a far greater effect on safety) in those conditions than summer, if that is the case at all.

I would say that an all-season tyre is overall safer than a 'standard' summer one when used in UK conditions over the course of a year because of the significant increased safety in rainy and wintery conditions (even without snow/ice).

I'm sure the 'ditchfinder' makes do 'high performance' models, so if you had both a summer and winter set, then they might match those of the A/S ones, but often those high performance ones are actually more expensive the A/S tyres from other makes because they are only available in wide, low profile tyre sizes.

One brand I will be avoiding from now on is Bridgestone. My company changed from Michelin on our buses a while back and they’ve been appalling. The number of tyre faults and premature cracking and wear we’re seeing is vastly worse than Michelin. Thus old Terrance the Toyota was treated to a full set of Michelin’s last year.
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Alby Back
I suppose we all base our choices on personal experience. There's a certain young Mr Verstappen who is most probably not overly keen on Pirellis right now for example.
;-)
Nice car, ditchfinder tyres - Bolt
One brand I will be avoiding from now on is Bridgestone. My company changed from Michelin on our buses a while back and they’ve been appalling. The number of tyre faults and premature cracking and wear we’re seeing is vastly worse than Michelin. Thus old Terrance the Toyota was treated to a full set of Michelin’s last year.

And yet in the SE of London, in my experience the Michelins wear quicker than the Bridgstones and have terrible grip on our roads,Honda fitted them to the Civic tourer but I changed them due to cracking, though it suffered punctures a fair amount but assume its down to the state of the London and outskirts roads.

tbh I don`t think I have seen our roads as bad as they are now, maybe better up north than down south?

Soon I will treat our big Toyota to a new front set of tyres as the Landsails are at 4.5mm and three years. Noticed most brands shot up in price recently 5 to 10%.

Seems £102/corner can get you a good set of Pirelli's at my 2155517 size, funny is that Falkens and Nexens are even more!?

Soon I will treat our big Toyota to a new front set of tyres as the Landsails are at 4.5mm and three years. Noticed most brands shot up in price recently 5 to 10%.

Seems £102/corner can get you a good set of Pirelli's at my 2155517 size, funny is that Falkens and Nexens are even more!?

You may be finding that specific tyre size combos are going out of 'fashion' and thus only certain brands are still making them, or even just getting rid of existing stock.

When I bought my most recent set of tyres (195/65 R15H) for my Mazda3, they were cheaper than those (175/60 R13H) that went on my old Micra, because the latter were not popular any more as the vast majority of smaller cars now come shod on 14in rims minimum.

It could also be that certain makes have had problems sourcing raw materials or whose manufacturing bases are in countries that have been more badly affected by the pandemic (at one time or another) that have contributed to price rises due to shortages of tyres made or having to source materials elsewhere, higher manufacturing and/or transport costs, etc.

Yep, seems like shortage of raw materials and pandemic related inflation is at the route of all tyres seeing further increases in prices.

www.retailnews.asia/michelin-to-hike-tyre-prices-i.../

Yep, seems like shortage of raw materials and pandemic related inflation is at the route of all tyres seeing further increases in prices.

Ironically, this (hopefully) may have the unintended consquence of forcing car manufacturers to stop fitting their cars with huge (relatively speaking) OEM wheels and low profile tyres, which already had bumped up the price of replacements by between 30 and 100% depending on the tyre size combo fitted as standard.

Unless you are on the ragged edge of grip and have a car where the engine and suspension / handling capabilities can easily take that kind of punishment and regularly without serious damage, the combination of bigger wheels and low profile tyres has a minimal effect on everyday driving.

They do, on the other hand, make a reasonable difference to mpg, comfort (drop), emissions, noise, wear and risk of (terminal) damage (rise), plus the extra cost of replacement.