Toyota Rav 4 two wheel drive - May I have your views please - Steveieb
The search goes on for a replacement for my A4 B6 Tdi 130
I also have a Toyota Corolla Verso 2003 1.6 which I have been really surprised by. Especially the driving position and high entry and exit which I really appreciate .

But neither has air con so the search goes on and I have decided my ideal replacement is a RAV 4 diesel without no 4wd , manual and above all no Dpf . MK 2 up to 2010 ?
Can you tell me what year the RAV 4 diesel was fitted with a Dpf ?
Toyota Rav 4 two wheel drive - May I have your views please - elekie&a/c doctor
Nothing wrong with a Rav 4 . But I would avoid any diesel model . The petrol engines rarely give any trouble.
Toyota Rav 4 two wheel drive - May I have your views please - Heidfirst

Anything with D-CAT/180bhp/2AD-FHV will have a DPF/DPNR.

Btw 2006-2012 would be a Mk3 not 2.

You will no doubt come across things on the internet regarding problems (esp. head/head gasket) with the AD series engines.

a) these affected a relatively small % (under 5%, probably well under)

b) these supposedly were resolved in production for the RAV4 (other model dates vary slightly) by the end of 2008. N.B. that is production date not registration date

c) the 150bhp 2AD-FTV versions of the 2.2 anecdotally suffered less from the above

d) my own personal feelings from nearly 10 years of driving 2AD-FTVs (albeit in an Avensis - 1 with DPF, 1 without) is that probably many of the issues were due to or exacerbated by people driving them in cycles that weren't suited to modern common-rail turbo-diesels causing carbon to build up.

As with any car of that age condition & service history will trump mileage. I would also check suspension etc. for any corrosion etc. I am sure that RAV4-specific forums can give you a list of common failure points.

Toyota Rav 4 two wheel drive - May I have your views please - SLO76
I’d stick with petrol too unless you’re putting a lot more money into the pot for this purchase. Even without a DPF a modern diesel is much more costly to maintain and repair. The petrol is bulletproof. I can vouch for Toyota’s A/C system though, it’s still working very well on my 11yr old Avensis and is usually functional on any older Toyota I’ve sold.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/05/2021 at 18:53