Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - Asim Qazi

Hi Everyone,
I bought 2006 XTrail diesel .... overall It's a wonderful vehicle .... There are two problems for which I need your guidance:
1. It has no pick or very sluggish in low RPM (below 2200) sometimes I have to pick my foot from the paddle slowly to get it rev.
2. It's smokes alot but only below 2000 rpm after that it's all fine.

EGR is clean and Air filter is clean and is k&N.

Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - bathtub tom

If someone's fitted a K&N air filter, I'd be wondering what else has been done to it. Has it been 'chipped' for example? Do you know its history?

Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - Railroad.

Firstly Japanese diesel engines have never been the best engines ever built. They're quite sluggish and heavy. Black smoke indicates either too much fuel or too little air. Check the inside of the inlet manifold to see if it's clogged or restricted. Also check the turbo for any signs of wear on the vanes. Don't rule out a blocked exhaust either.

Thanks for the suggestions ... will be checking these and will get back with findings

If someone's fitted a K&N air filter, I'd be wondering what else has been done to it. Has it been 'chipped' for example? Do you know its history?

I know this car sjnce 2006, No its not chipped and not much done with this car .... it was owned by a close relative and was kept with a lot of care .... 140k is the total milage. Turbo was changed few months back.

Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - focussed

As the turbo has been replaced recently check that the small flexible rubber pipe has been connected to the vacuum servo that controls the variable vane in the exhaust turbine. If it's not connected, or the pipe is cracked or damaged or the pipes have been mixed up on the solenoid valve that signals the vacuum to the servo, the vanes may remain in the high speed boost position and won't boost at low speeds, hence the smoke and sluggish pickup.

Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - Fernando P

Which engine is in the vehicle? If it is the 2.2 Renault diesel is sounds like the EGR valve needs cleaning as it blocks frequently especially with short runs.

Edited by Fernando P on 17/05/2021 at 11:29

Nissan X-Trail 2006 Diesel - Black Smoke only in low RPM - Falkirk Bairn

2001 - 2006 = T30 = Nissan 2.2 diesel

2007 = T31 = Renault 2.0 diesel

It's YD22 Nissan T30. EGR is clean

Hi, the pipes are not mixed I confirmed from the manual not they are damaged. What else I can do to check if the vanes are not in high speed mode?

I had two spare nozzles which I replaced without knowing if they good or not to test... the smoke is considerably reduced .... I can safely say that it's 50% reduced and pick or the sluggish acceleration is improved as well

In coming days I will replace all the 4 nozzles and will see if it fix the issue to core or not ... Else will follow the guidelines shared for turbo and solenoid.

Meanwhile I have checked the vaccum pipes they are all fine as well.