Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - bingobango

Bought a 2 year old Peugeot 3008 in October 2019.

Couple of week ago, we started getting "engine fault repair needed" warnings on the dash. Then also started getting "oil pressure" warnings which didn't stay up long enough to read.
Then the car started going into "safe drive home mode" where it went at a crawls pace.

I took it for a diagnostic at a Peugeot dealership and they told me it was an issue with the timing belt deteriorating and blocking the oil filter. The car is 2017 and has about 35k miles on it. I've only had it a year and a half and done very few miles due to covid.

The car has sat at the dealers for over a week while they get parts and can fit me in to repair, since its an all day job they tell me. So I'm out a car for 2 weeks, they told me I could rent a car myself but they could not give me a hire car for free. They said that my car is not safe to drive.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the repair is - and how likely is this to happen again in the next 30,000 miles? I am so annoyed by the whole thing I am tempted to trade it in for something else but I don't know much about cars. The only reason I got this 3008 was because it was top-rated everywhere and that 1.2 petrol engine was supposed to be great.

The dealer reckons they can get Peugeot to foot the bill, which is the only light at the end of this mess. But how are they making sure it won't happen again?

Do you think once it is fixed I should trade it in for something else? Wish I had bought a decent estate car but the missus wouldn't have it :D

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Log onto peugeotforums and search pure tech timing belt failure .
Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Hector a palacio
Had same issue back in June 2022, finally my car had a total brake failure while driving on the M25, didn’t crash as miraculously managed to stop the car ( lucky it was Manual).

My engine was replaced for a new one under factory warranty!.

Issue : timing belt leaving debris, poor quality, wrong material made; the debris of the belt block the engine oil pump also the brake assistance pump and other components like the oil solenoids.

Currently 07/04/2023 is a recall to fix this problem by updating the brake assistance software and by checking/ replacing the oil components mentioned above.
Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - mcb100

I believe the belt has been updated in terms of its material specification since the earlier engines, and this should eradicate the issue.

The other thing to ensure is that the engine oil is changed to the manufacturer's time/distance requirements and that exactly the correct specification of oil is used as the belt runs in oil.

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Lee Power

The wet timing belt failimg is just one of the now known issues with the wonderful PSA Purecrap engine.

PSA still hasn't cured the issue, they have just reduced the belt replacement interval down to 62500 miles / 6 years.

There's also an official width measurement tool which dealers will use to check the timing belt during servicing - Sealey also make a tool anyone can buy.

The inlet valves also suffer from carbon build up, mine made it to 34k miles before requiring the inlet valves to be cleaned.

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - daveyjp
Sounds similar to Ecoboost and the oil pump belt which runs in oil. It deteriorates and blocks the oil pump strainer resulting in oil starvation. This belt however is not a serviceable item so you hope it lasts to the point the car is worthless.
Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - John F

The dealer reckons they can get Peugeot to foot the bill, which is the only light at the end of this mess. But how are they making sure it won't happen again?

It shouldn't happen again because they no longer fit faulty belts.

Do you think once it is fixed I should trade it in for something else?

Probably not, especially if you only do around 8000 miles a year. Trading in for something else tends to be costly, unless the 'something else' is an old banger.

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Galaxy

These "Wet" timing belts don't seem to be working out, do they!

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - madf

French car company has problems using a new design and making it reliable.

Now where have I heard that before?

Starting to see reports of Purecrap engines built after the recall cut off date now suffering from failed timing belts.

French car company has problems using a new design and making it reliable.

Now where have I heard that before?

In Britain - with a different first word (hint - begins with B ;-)

Considering that there are hundreds of thousands - perhaps even millions (I read somewhere PSA have produced nearly 4 million) - of these puretech engines piling up the miles worldwide, there don't seem to be that many reports of failures, especially since 2018.

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Haydn185

Seems I am joining this family! my 19 3008 just been investigated and yes part of the belt in the oil. Now trying to push Peugeot to pay for the work, with only 48,000 on clock this should not be happening! service history fully with Peugeot dealer. Waiting on result, had to have investigation work done by non P garage as they cannot even look at it for 3 weeks!

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Gibbo_Wirral

www.peugeotforums.com/threads/recall-for-timing-be.../

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - skidpan

Waiting on result, had to have investigation work done by non P garage as they cannot even look at it for 3 weeks!

Total waste of time. Peugeot (or any manufacturer) will not take on results from a non franchised workshop unless its appointed by them

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Hector a palacio
Had same issue back in June 2022, finally my car had a total brake failure while driving on the M25, didn’t crash as miraculously managed to stop the car ( lucky it was Manual).

My engine was replaced for a new one under factory warranty!.

Issue : timing belt leaving debris, poor quality, wrong material made; the debris of the belt block the engine oil pump also the brake assistance pump and other components like the oil solenoids.

Currently 07/04/2023 is a recall to fix this problem by updating the brake assistance software and by checking/ replacing the oil components mentioned above.

Check if your car has been recalled.

If you having this issue already you will need new engine .

My engine replacement was done free.
Had same issue back in June 2022, finally my car ......

What was its year, mileage and oil change history?

Peugeot 3008 - Peugeot 3008 2017 timing belt issue - Keith Theodoulou

Bought my 3008 from Johnsons in Macclesfield July 2021 with 18000 miles on the clock 4000 miles later it went into what was Robins & Day, Preston July 2022 for it's 1st service under the service plan I purchased. They came up with £1800 of work required £1100 of which was to replace the timing belt??? I challenged this saying the belt should be good for about 62000 miles but they said the rubber was detiorating and pieces were getting into the sump. What a nightmare!! There was various other things wrong...new discs / pads, exhaust mountings etc that brought the costs up to £1800. After discussions with the service people, we got the amount down to around £500 under the extended warranty I had purchased. Unbelievably, they had the car for 3 months and provided very little updates. My Mrs had to deal with the return of the car in Dec 2022 as I was critically ill in hospital. They wouldn't even bring the car to the house as a matter of courtesy. Low & behold in Jan 2023 a letter pops up from Peugeot UK recalling 3008's for a timing belt issue... so there was an issue and I nearly got stung £1100!! Something very fishy here! At the end of the day, I love the car but the experience with Stellantis, Preston has put me right off Peugeot’s so much as to say my next car is going to be a new one and could well be a Renault. Take heed punters!!

There was various other things wrong...new discs / pads, exhaust mountings etc that brought the costs up to £1800. After discussions with the service people, we got the amount down to around £500 under the extended warranty I had purchased. Unbelievably, they had the car for 3 months and provided very little updates.

I do indeed find these 'various other things' hard to believe, especially needing three months off the road. Did the warranty insurers get stung for the cost of a courtesy car from the garage? Unless it has been abused, no car should need new pads at 18,000miles, let alone discs! And exhaust mountings?? I have just serviced our Peugeot 2008 at 20,000 miles and there is lots of meat left on the pads.

There was various other things wrong...new discs / pads, exhaust mountings etc that brought the costs up to £1800. After discussions with the service people, we got the amount down to around £500 under the extended warranty I had purchased. Unbelievably, they had the car for 3 months and provided very little updates.

I do indeed find these 'various other things' hard to believe, especially needing three months off the road. Did the warranty insurers get stung for the cost of a courtesy car from the garage? Unless it has been abused, no car should need new pads at 18,000miles, let alone discs! And exhaust mountings?? I have just serviced our Peugeot 2008 at 20,000 miles and there is lots of meat left on the pads.

Purecrap timing belt kits where on back order for a long while due to demand outstripping supply.

FWIW - The 2016 built 308 T9 I got rid of last year still had the factory fitted discs & pads all round with at least 6mm left on the front pads at 43k miles.