SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - Mmarsh1972

Next year, I have decided I may part with my 2012 Honda Jazz, great car but bigger kids require bigger car. I also need something for lugging stuff which includes 2 elderly Grandparents comfortably.

Originally I had my sights on a mini SUV like the Honda HRV but I am thinking a compact SUV like a RAV4 or a Honda CRV is a better value. I also giving a lot of thought into a Hybrid.

I think my budget will be in the low-mid 20Ks

I have never bought a used car, the Jazz was bought new. So I have no idea how many KMs I should look for. I need help figuring out how much is acceptable and what is too much

I can tell you this much.

I drive maybe 3000-5000KM a year (not much) The 2012 Jazz has only 30,000 on it..

I am pretty sure I don't want a car older than 5 years old (say 2016) as I plan to keep the car a long time and I like I do like my modern gadgets. Therefore I am likely to go for a higher trim car with a few more KM on the odometer than a lower trim car with less.

I dont plan to change cars anytime soon after this one. Again, the only reason I am selling the Honda is because I need something larger and more powerful. Otherwise I would keep it.

Hybrid/Gas. I am giving strong consideration toward hybrid as my driving habits favor it, and the French Government is offering huge incentives to buying Green cars (Yes I live in France)

So given this, what do you suggest?

SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - SLO76
I don’t know the French market or the tax implications of buying there but in the UK with your low mileage usage it would make little sense to spend thousands more on the more complex hybrid over a normal petrol model. My favourite medium SUV is the Mazda CX-5 with the reliable and decently frugal 2.0 Skyactiv petrol motor in SE spec. These are great to drive and better on fuel than most similar sized petrol SUV’s.

In the UK market here’s a few I’d favour.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103130087798

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104131295755

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103170237047

There’s nothing to fear from the hybrid CRV or RAV4 but both are much more costly to buy and with such low mileage you’d never recoup the extra.

Two comments.

1. My understanding Hybrids are actually the best option for people like me as they most benefit innercity drivers, meaning short distances, slower speeds and lots of starts/stops.

2. Its 3000-5000 now, but that could change. My office recently moved which has made my commute over 90 mins by train now. I am toying with the idea of taking the car. I also plan to be visiting family whom live on the coast more frequennly (about 4 hours away). I am anticipating my future needs.

3. I did look at the Mazda CX-5. The issue is Mazda is not as present in France as say Toyota or Honda are.

4. The reason I am looking at Hybrid, the French Government really has a thorn in its backside about eliminating pure combustion engines. Its going to start next year with old Diesels but by 2040 it will be the end of all fuel-only cars. In the interim they are talking about emissions tax, traffic tax (like in London) etc and Hybrid get except from that. The demand is just going down, and I want something more future proof.

Plus they are offering rebates/tax write offs on Hybrids. Yes they cost alot more, I am mindful of that but I also plan for this to be my last car until it dies.

But back to my question: How many KM should I be looking for in a used 5 year old SUV? 40,000KM, 80,0000KM more/less?

“ My understanding Hybrids are actually the best option for people like me as they most benefit innercity drivers, meaning short distances, slower speeds and lots of starts/stops.”

You’re correct, but with your low mileage use you’ll never recoup the much higher initial cost. That said, I don’t know the French market or vehicle tax system so you’ll have to compare the two carefully.

“ Its 3000-5000 now, but that could change. My office recently moved which has made my commute over 90 mins by train now. I am toying with the idea of taking the car. I also plan to be visiting family whom live on the coast more frequennly (about 4 hours away). I am anticipating my future needs.”

Not exactly environmentally friendly to use the car over the train and a hybrid won’t save much over such journeys.

“ I did look at the Mazda CX-5. The issue is Mazda is not as present in France as say Toyota or Honda are.”

Fair enough. It’s the better drivers car and mechanically simple so maintenance into it’s dotage is unlikely to be an issue at non-franchise garages unlike the more complex hybrids.

“ The demand is just going down, and I want something more future proof.”

This is the strong argument in favour of a hybrid. Demand is likely to fall for conventional petrol driven vehicles in most markets depending on taxes. Many people, including myself will however be seeking out well maintained conventional petrol driven cars in order to avoid the higher initial cost and increased maintenance required by a hybrid.

“ But back to my question: How many KM should I be looking for in a used 5 year old SUV? 40,000KM, 80,0000KM more/less?”

Most hybrids, especially Toyota are well tried and tested now and there’s little to fear from higher mileage as long as it comes with a full main dealer service history. There’s loads of Prius hybrid taxis across the globe with 500k plus up and still running fine. Buy on condition and history above all else. So if you want the simple answer then I’ll say more or less, it doesn’t matter. Condition and history are more important.

If it’s solely about reliability and it must be a hybrid then I’d seek a good approved used Toyota RAV4 Hybrid or if it’s large enough the C-HR Hybrid. Both will almost certainly be utterly dependable but in the UK anyone doing less than around 15,000 miles a year would be paying substantially more over say 3-4yrs of ownership than they would with a cheaper petrol driven equivalent. Again the French market may alter this conclusion. But there’s nothing to fear from hybrid even at 50-70-80k especially Toyota.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/05/2021 at 14:18

SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - barney100

Seems a lot of cash to drive 3000k a year.

SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - John F

Seems a lot of cash to drive 3000k a year.

It certainly does!

It makes financial sense for low milers to buy a car which has done much of its depreciation. The OP's best bet is a three or four year old car with around 50,000 miles on the clock. It will probably have been used by a high miler rep, and is likely to have been well maintained. With only a few subsequent thousand miles a year the mechanicals should easily last another ten years and 50,000 more miles without large bills, unless very unlucky. I would look for a petrol engined estate car rather than an SUV - ideal for kids and their cargo. We had twenty years and over 400,000 busy family miles out of a couple of used VW Passat estates (combined cost considerably less than £20K), so it is hardly surprising that I would suggest considering one; a three year old would be well within the OP's generous budget.

P S just realised the OP lives in France - I would probably look for a Peugeot estate!

Edited by John F on 11/05/2021 at 15:45

So 50000 miles (about 60000 KM) 3-4 years old.

Sounds perfect. Thanks

Not big on station-wagons (what we call Estates in America). They are a pain to parallel park in the Paris suburbs and inner city and I prefer the higher ride of of the SUV.

I do like Peugeots,like the 308. You could tempt me into a 2nd Gen 3008 though, IF the price was right. Maybe even a Renault Kadjar. I prefer Japanese though.

The Hybrid 3008s still cost a pretty penny though.

So 50000 miles (about 60000 KM) 3-4 years old.

Sounds perfect. Thanks

Not big on station-wagons (what we call Estates in America). They are a pain to parallel park in the Paris suburbs and inner city and I prefer the higher ride of of the SUV.

I do like Peugeots,like the 308. You could tempt me into a 2nd Gen 3008 though, IF the price was right. Maybe even a Renault Kadjar. I prefer Japanese though.

The Hybrid 3008s still cost a pretty penny though.

I would leave the Peugeot or Renault offerings out of the running, neither are as reliable over the long term as the Japanese options and Toyota has far more experience with hybrid powertrains.
Agree on both points

However French parts are cheap here, Japanese parts are not. I was originally thinking It might make sense to get a cheaper French car, and cheaper but more frequent maintenance. But looking at the costs of both the 3008 and Kadjar on the used car market last night, it simply makes no sense. I can get a RAV4 or a CRV for roughly the same price. There is no real savings, and much prefer Japonese
SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - Andrew-T

(Yes I live in France) So given this, what do you suggest?

My untutored impression is that the French used-car market works differently from ours - the French regard cars in a much more utilitarian manner. They don't go for bright colours and they seem to spend less on cosmetic maintenance. So their depreciation formula may seem unfamiliar to us here.

I owned a Pug 205 convertible about 10 years back which after a few more years with someone in Lancashire was bought by a gentleman from Nice, who drove it back there. Apparently there are simply none left in France.

I wonder if our regular M. Focussed might comment ?

SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - focussed

(Yes I live in France) So given this, what do you suggest?

My untutored impression is that the French used-car market works differently from ours - the French regard cars in a much more utilitarian manner. They don't go for bright colours and they seem to spend less on cosmetic maintenance. So their depreciation formula may seem unfamiliar to us here.

I owned a about 10 years back which after a few more years with someone in Lancashire was bought by a gentleman from Nice, who drove it back there. Apparently there are simply none left in France.

I wonder if our regular M. Focussed might comment ?

I just checked a used car website here - autoscout24.fr and there are 44 205 convertibles on offer!

The second listed is a 1987 1.6 on 169000 km (105,000 miles) from a dealer at €13,900 !!!

Perhaps the reason the guy from Nice bought one from the UK is the stupid prices dealers ask for cars over here!

Edit -I just remembered that as the example I quoted as it is over 30 years old it only needs an MOT every 5 years and the insurance will be silly cheap. And the registration tax will be near to zero if its registered as a vehicule epoque.

Edited by focussed on 13/05/2021 at 11:23

SUV - Help on How many KM on a used car - Andrew-T

<< The second listed is a 1987 1.6 on 169000 km (105,000 miles) from a dealer at €13,900 !!! Perhaps the reason the guy from Nice bought one from the UK is the stupid prices dealers ask for cars over here! >>

IIRC my Pug 205 went to Nice for about £4500, which at the time was rather OTT for a 1.6 CTi. I congratulated the seller for his good fortune as I had sold it for much less a few years before :-(