Good advice on paint removal - JJG-m

Selling my fiancé's car, originally the allows were bicolour black and silver, I sprayed them satin black about 2 years ago.

Ideally, I want to take off the say in black spray paint and get them back to the original bicolour but am struggling to find a good answer as to how.

They were very lightly sanded, primed, painted then lacquered. The paint is already chipping away round the edges so can't imagine it's on there amazingly.

A few people suggested simply trying petrol on a rag and giving it some elbow grease, others said try graffiti remover and other said laquerer thinner, tires will be on still.

Or, is the realistic answer just respraying them gloss black...

Edited by JJG-m on 09/05/2021 at 20:09

Good advice on paint removal - badbusdriver

Were they painted silver and black?, or was the 'silver' actually diamond cut?. If so, you won't easily be able to replicate the finish, but either way, I think it highly doubtful rubbing the wheels with a petrol covered rag would remove the paint you put on, but not damage the original finish underneath (given you sanded them).

What kind of car and value are we talking about?, because a slap dash paint job on the wheels will affect the value and saleability of a decent car. Might be better to get them done by a pro, or get 2nd hand or aftermarket alloys if it is.

Good advice on paint removal - Andrew-T

Petrol will not do anything, it's a poor solvent. White spirit might do a little. Try Nitromors cautiously on an inconspicuous area.

Good advice on paint removal - Big John

Try a test spot with acetone. My sons car was vandalised a few years ago with paint spray cans down two doors and the front wing. I did a test spot with acetone (ebay!) and when all ok 30 minutes later all sorted. I washed off and drove through a car wash just to make sure.

Edited by Big John on 09/05/2021 at 23:42

Good advice on paint removal - Andrew-T

Petrol will not do anything, it's a poor solvent. White spirit might do a little. Try Nitromors cautiously on an inconspicuous area ....

... but whatever you try, keep it off the tyres !

Good advice on paint removal - edlithgow

Sunlight works.

Nearly all the top colour has gone from my roof and bonnet, leaving just the grey primer, apart from a little bit of red in the radio aerial shadow.

Might take a while in The Yook though.

Brake fluid would probably work too but I suspect it might go through more than 1 layer at a time.

Good advice on paint removal - mfarrow

Cellulose thinners will get it off, but possibly too the paint underneath. A lot less volatile than acetone but can irritate the skin (backs of hands especially).