Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - catsdad

The current Rover 75 K series engine debate on another thread got me thinking more widely.

My recollection was that initially the K series was lauded and the envy of other manufacturers for its design and performance. Now it’s heavily criticised.

Similarly the Ford eco boost with its A4 paper sized footprint was raved about.

HJ loved the new Peugeot engines initially. Now issues are appearing.

I am sure others will have examples of other engines that were launched with a fanfare to good reviews only for the problems to emerge later.

Maybe the coming death of the ICE engine will usher in a final stop to designer tinkering and reliability will settle down. In any event radical new engine designs will be rare in the remaining years of ICE. Whatever is around now is all we are going to be able to buy.

With that in mind what does the panel think the current petrol engine of choice should be for those of us who might want to keep away from electric motors for as long as possible?

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - RT

I doubt we'll see any all-new engine designs not - just minor changes to cope with ever-tightening emission regulations but nothing that improves longevity.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - badbusdriver

Kind of tricky with Lexus being all hybrid, Toyota more or less all hybrid, and the Honda Jazz now being hybrid only (given you want to avoid electric motors, I'm assuming hybrids are out?).

But if you want a long lasting ICE supermini?, Mazda 2 or (if you are allowing mild hybrid) Suzuki Swift. A wee bit smaller?, the (very unloved) Mitsubishi Mirage.

Golf sized car?, Honda Civic or Mazda 3.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - John F

Good question. I offer these observations - turbos are now reliable, so naturally aspirated ICEs should now be extinct. Following on from this, there is no longer any need for a large engine. Little more than one litre and three or four cylinders is adequate for most cars. Some of these engines are developing a reputation for reliability, some are not. As for power seekers, three litre six cylinder turbo engines now develop as much power as their six litre twelve cylinder predecessors. My personal choice for our recent acquisition to at least match the reliability of our twenty year old Ford 1.6 Zetec engine (still going strong at 150,000 miles on its original 'designed for life' cambelt) is Peugeot's 1.2 puretech 130. I am hopeful that its early cambelt problems have been sorted, and that the Achilles heel of directly injected engines - carbon build up - will not be a problem.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - bathtub tom

John F, are you aware the puretech is now on its third generation of cambelt and the fourth generation is, reputedly, a chain? There's at least one manufacturer fitting additional injection in the manifold to 'wash' inlet valves in an attempt to prevent carbon build up.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Rerepo

Naturally-aspirated petrol engines from Japan and Korea. The engines fitted in pickups like the Toyota and Isuzu seem to clock up huge mileages in places like Australia..

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Lee Power

Toyotas new dynamic force engines cylinder head the direct fuel injectors fire directly over the backs on the inlet valves when there open to help keep them clean.

Toyota have then gone belt & braces & also fitted port injection as well.

As for the PSA Puretech - I've not heard or seen of any permanent cure for the inlet valve carbon fouling issue - a couple of engine ecu software tweaks is all they have come up with so far.

The timing belt debacle has annoyed plenty of people across various Peugeot / Citroen forums.

Mine is technically now due a timing belt replacement ( thanks PSA for reducing the replacement intervals ) next March but it will be gone by then.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - daveyjp

I have every confidence that the simple 1.5 petrol in our Yaris would happily do 150,000 miles with little ongoing maintenance.

Similarly Subaru petrols will happily do 300,000 miles.

Unfortunately we live on a small island and most owners don't do huge mileages, so these mileages aren't that common in the UK and lack of use is worse than heavy use for engines.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Steveieb

Has there ever been any engines to match the long life of the VW PD , Peugeot XUD , Isuzu Diesel, Zetec ?

Maybe these were the heyday of long lived engines which we may never see again ?

Such a shame the EU banned these amazing pieces of engineering along with the Gardner bus engines .

Even Toyota got it wrong with the VVti over oil consumption but did the honourable thing of extending the warranty.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Xileno

The XUD was a phenomenal game-changer, making diesel an option for average car use due to its refinement. Prior to the XUD, diesel was a fairly rough and noisy experience, even the Golf MK1 diesel wasn't too much fun in comparison. It would be interesting to test the emissions of one of these old diesels, probably send the MOT equipment off the scale compared to a modern diesel. XUD would go on almost indefinitely proved it was serviced correctly and the cambelt done on time.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Andrew-T

XUD would go on almost indefinitely provided it was serviced correctly and the cambelt done on time.

IIRC the XUD engine appeared about 1990, thirty years ago. SWMBO or I owned one 205 and a couple of 306s with the turbo version of that engine. It always behaved well but used to benefit from an occasional shot of conditioner.

I suspect that present-day diesel engines might behave similarly if, as suggested, they were serviced correctly. Makers' oil-change intervals have doubled since 30 years ago, probably for the wrong reasons - cost-cutting for fleet buyers, as has been often alleged. As it takes only a few miles' driving for fresh oil to turn black in a diesel engine, asking it to do its job properly for over 10K miles may not help longevity. But fleet owners aren't looking for that.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - SLO76
“ IIRC the XUD engine appeared about 1990, thirty years ago.”

Think it was 1984. It was certainly in the 205 from the start and the Talbot Horizon in 84 so it might even have been earlier.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/05/2021 at 17:24

Think it was 1984. It was certainly in the 205 from the start and the Talbot Horizon in 84 so it might even have been earlier.

Yes, SLO, I was thinking of the XUDT. Early 205s had the simple XUD in 1984, as you say.

Yes, SLO, I was thinking of the XUDT. Early 205s had the simple XUD in 1984, as you say.

The BX and 405 had the 1769cc XUD turbo diesel from 88 I believe. A cracking engine it was too.

I've had a look in my 1991 Motorists' Guide. The diesel Horizon was announced in October 1983, but the revised Pug 305 had a diesel in the previous January. They were both the 1905cc version before the 1769 came a bit later.

No - I don't have all the back issues, only three to give me fixed points for old prices :-(

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Terry W

A somewhat philosophical view.

Development of new engines, probably since the invention of internal combustion, is at the boundaries of what is then feasible to reduce costs, increase performance, reduce fuel consumption, reduce weight etc.

So all advances in technology typically come initially with increased risks. The 2-4 years post launch reveals longer term problems not identified (or ignored for commercial reasons) on pre launch testing.

The most relaible engines are therefore likely to be those which are 5-6 year old designs still being fitted to new vehicle launches. This would suggest that (a) all the normal early gremlins have been addressed, and (b) the manufacturer has the confdence to fit said unit to current production and expects few warrany claims.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Chris M

So how many miles will the motors of the EVs manage?

I'm guessing lack of use is less of an issue, but will they cover 100k or 200k without maintenance?

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Xileno

Assuming they're brushless, I though think almost indefinitely, unless there are bearings and such to wear out and are not easily replaceable.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Rerepo

Has there ever been any engines to match the long life of the VW PD , Peugeot XUD , Isuzu Diesel, Zetec ?

Maybe these were the heyday of long lived engines which we may never see again ?

Such a shame the EU banned these amazing pieces of engineering along with the Gardner bus engines .

The unelected EU dictators got many things wrong - probably due to their lack of understanding of technology. Now that we are free of them I dearly hope UK legislation will be changed to allow the sale of engines like the VW PD once again. Maybe we can also dispense with those dreadful DPFs that the Eurocrats forced on us! Damn them!

<< Maybe we can also dispense with those dreadful DPFs that the Eurocrats forced on us! >>

That won't happen after the public has been informed that 2.5 micron diesel particles cause lung problems in children.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - RT

The unelected EU dictators got many things wrong - probably due to their lack of understanding of technology. Now that we are free of them I dearly hope UK legislation will be changed to allow the sale of engines like the VW PD once again. Maybe we can also dispense with those dreadful DPFs that the Eurocrats forced on us! Damn them!

Won't happen - British politicians have ambitions to be greener than the EU.

Those "dreadful" DPFs prevent a lot of cancer and other respiratory disease.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - alan1302

The UK won't be changing any of those rules - DPFs are needed and will be staying - they do cause some issues but air quality is much better for them and if you cared about the UK you would want them to.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - madf

Commercial reality:

Half UK cars are imported. Many from the EU

Half cars made in UK are exported to the EU

The EU is a far bigger market than the UK.

So :what the EU says will become UK law.

Commercial reality

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Metropolis.

Not sure about the Subaru petrols, Scotty Kilmer seems to bang on about them blowing head gaskets too frequently!

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - John F

John F, are you aware the puretech is now on its third generation of cambelt and the fourth generation is, reputedly, a chain? There's at least one manufacturer fitting additional injection in the manifold to 'wash' inlet valves in an attempt to prevent carbon build up.

Yes I am. (Chain engines can be problematic too). It does seem that the size and quality of the cambelt rather than the design was faulty. There don't seem to be any problems with the latest version.

Re carbon build up, I wonder if it might be caused by being in the inappropriate gear? If you put your foot down at a low speed in a high gear, the high torque at low revs acceleration of this engine might make it feel OK, but I can't help wondering whether there would be some incomplete combustion of the sudden increased dose of fuel despite the best efforts of the EMS to ensure a proper air/fuel mixture. I would be interested to know whether engines with a manual gearbox are disproportionately affected. The EAT6 gearbox never allows such labouring, instantly changing down on application of wellie.

Another personal thing - unless our circumstances change dramatically our Peugeot 2008 is unlikely to exceed 6000 miles a year, and as it's such a cracking little performer I was happy to take a certain amount of risk.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Chris M

I believe you are correct there John F. I tend to keep in 3rd below 30mph and 4th below 40mph in my 1.0T Astra - about 2,000rpm so well into the 90%+ torque zone for this engine. Not many reports of LSPI for this engine but plenty for the 1.4T.

I was reading an article about LPSI last week (and can't now find it) about the new oils designed for direct injection engines. It's a common issue across manufacturers. The new oils are designed not to deposit themselves on the cylinder bore above the piston. It's these deposits which combust before the piston reaches the top of its travel. Vauxhall are on their third specification in as many years.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Bolt

It's a common issue across manufacturers. The new oils are designed not to deposit themselves on the cylinder bore above the piston. It's these deposits which combust before the piston reaches the top of its travel.

Oil changing was also mentioned as the time should be around 5k 6k oil changes, all caused by using piston rings that are not as tight to bore, to reduce friction and assist in making engine free revving

New type oil doesn`t congeal in the oil control rings which was causing severe oil burning, but the new oils will need changing earlier otherwise the benefits will be lost

I also cannot find the article on this, but Toyota are now working (possibly using now) 0w 8 oil for Hybrid engines

I’ve plenty of confidence in any petrol Toyota, Mazda, Honda or Suzuki. Not many diesels appear on my radar these days but a well cared for Honda 1.6 DTEC (if serviced using the correct oil) should see 200k upwards.

The 1800 petrol motor in my old Toyota Avensis isn’t showing any signs of wear at 91,000 miles, I’ve every faith it’ll be the same at 200k upwards.

You can more or less predict engine reliability by brand and fuel type. That said, i think alot of cars (no factual basis just my impression) go to the scrappy because of peripherals failing, including gearbox as they age, rather than the engine itself. Bad engines like the ecoboosts and puretech (sorry JohnF, hope yours proves otherwise) tend to be in the minority of options available and even those you get one that was made on a Wednesday if you're lucky.

Also it is interesting to see the service intervals used by the different manufacturers. We have a relatively modern Lexus in the family, full Lexus service history. 2.5 v6, and the service interval is 1year/10,000 miles. It says so in the onboard computer. We respect this, and don't see it as a way for dealers to make money, but understand some might. The engine is near silent at 9 years old, new drivers turn it off by accident as they can't hear the engine so they press the start button thinking its turned off. Lexus dealer uses full synthetic, too.

Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Engineer Andy

You can more or less predict engine reliability by brand and fuel type. That said, i think alot of cars (no factual basis just my impression) go to the scrappy because of peripherals failing, including gearbox as they age, rather than the engine itself. Bad engines like the ecoboosts and puretech (sorry JohnF, hope yours proves otherwise) tend to be in the minority of options available and even those you get one that was made on a Wednesday if you're lucky.

Also it is interesting to see the service intervals used by the different manufacturers. We have a relatively modern Lexus in the family, full Lexus service history. 2.5 v6, and the service interval is 1year/10,000 miles. It says so in the onboard computer. We respect this, and don't see it as a way for dealers to make money, but understand some might. The engine is near silent at 9 years old, new drivers turn it off by accident as they can't hear the engine so they press the start button thinking its turned off. Lexus dealer uses full synthetic, too.

With today's modern prodtcion methods, I wonder if the previous disparity between countries still stands or as much as it used to be, i.e. cars from the same make but assembled in different nations, especially developing nations.

The Lexus in question is a UK market model, iirc built in Japan. I am not sure the extended service intervals (if that is what you are referring to Andy) have reached the USA, but then they do have those quick lube places and mineral oil is still in much more common use with 3,000 mile changes common.
Any - Will any new car engine stay the course - Engineer Andy
The Lexus in question is a UK market model, iirc built in Japan. I am not sure the extended service intervals (if that is what you are referring to Andy) have reached the USA, but then they do have those quick lube places and mineral oil is still in much more common use with 3,000 mile changes common.

I know from reading up that Mazda still haven't upped any of their service intervals in the UK/Europe since I bought my car back in 2006, still at 12.5k miles/1 year. I suspect most others from Japan haven't either, though Nissan and Mitsubishi might, given they are part of the alliance with Renault, and they may have done for their diesel cars (not sure).

Cars used in the US appear to last, mileage wise, a long time due to the cheap cost of oil changes helping them get more of them, as you say. A shame they are quite expensive for what they are in this country, especially for 'premium' brands where the difference in actual cost to the dealer is minimal.