BMW X3 - 2017 X3 SE or 2018 its 3rd generation - Ken_99

Quite fancy the 3rd generation X3 as a family car but don't want to burn a hole in my wallet. How about its driving experience of the basic SE model in comparison the 2nd generation just a year ago (2017)? The 2018 X3 costs a lot more but I am not sure if it worth so much.

Someone posts on Youtube it is exhausting to drive X3 over long hours. I haven't done this myself and a test drive may not be helpful. Is there any suggestion on this?

Thank you!

BMW X3 - 2017 X3 SE or 2018 its 3rd generation - badbusdriver

Well an X3, or indeed most BMW`s are about as far from `my cup of tea` as it is possible to get!. But going by many, many articles read in motoring magazines, the first gen X3 was an awful thing, but subsequent versions are much better. A lower spec SE version will have smaller wheels with taller tyres, which will give better ride comfort, lower noise levels, better mpg and be cheaper to replace than the huge ultra low profile tyres usually found on cars like this.

Without knowing what the YouTube reviewer is referring to, it is difficult to comment on exactly why it would be exhausting to drive.

Finally, be aware that BMW`s are not all as reliable as the image might have you believe. 4 cyl petrol and diesel engines seem to be the most likely to cause trouble.

BMW X3 - 2017 X3 SE or 2018 its 3rd generation - Miniman777

I've a 2017 X3 M Sport 3.0D (G01), had it for nearly 3 years. It's a pleasurable car to drive, effortless and roomy. Had extended BMW warranty, so I've no concerns, though it had a diff fault after 8k miles, fixed quickly under warranty. No problems since.

Bad bus driver is right about the ultra low profile wheels, mine are 20in and with run flats are surprisingly comfortable. I've no issues at all. Go for 19 or 20in wheels, not 21. He is also right over the 4 cylinder engines, I have thought the 2.0d is noisy, 3.0d silky smooth and I get 40mpg, 1500 rpm at 70mph.

Tiring to drive? No, dont agree, done 200 miles with just a toilet stop, not tired at all.

Look at specs carefully, I wanted a pan roof and it took time to find one. Reversing camera is a must too. Has proper switch gear for heating, heated seats, etc, none of this via a screen faff.

Have I any criticisms? No, none other than I didn't like the chrome grille surround and bought a OEM black one and it's improved the look. I've looked at what I'd source as a replacement, and there's nothing which takes my fancy. Read the Honest John review, and it's highly rated,

Happy to answer Qs.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I haven't used reversing camera myself and I am driving an Astra without parking sensor. Surely it will be helpful with a car which is half a meter longer!

Thank you! The Youtuber referred to a M sport model and moaned about the heavy steering wheel. The others seem to be okay for the presenter.

Thanks for pointing out the 6-cylinder engineer - I barely noticed this at all. Most X3 on Autotrader and other platforms are however 2.0 4-cylinder. It is a shame. We don't do massive mileage and hopefully it is okay.

duplicate post removed

ORB, moderator

Edited by _ORB_ on 09/05/2021 at 19:28