Orwell's Centenary Year. - Pugugly {P}
www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-790512,00.ht...l

Will the last motorist to leave the country turn the lights off and set the alarm.
Orwell's Centenary Year. - DavidHM
And if you don't, we'll know who it was and come after you.
Orwell's Centenary Year. - THe Growler
It's interesting that if I click on a Times link from here I get a terse message quoting my IP # and am told to supply the country I am in and a valid email address.

Needless to say I return this with a suggestion they print out my reply and find a good use for it, quoting at least one option they should consider. Unbelievable, but then again maybe not, with Eurotopia the way it's going.
Orwell's Centenary Year. - JamesG
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, so hello from me.

Once again draconian moves are being made towards us, and as usual being made to sound a good thing by the same method some could argue are used to promote the Euro (do it or lose out) type scare mongering. Whats the chances that this new system, if introduced will be the basis of charge by mile, which I know has been discussed on here before.

What will the traffic wardens say because they are obviously going to be out of work!

James.

1974 Land-Rover
Orwell's Centenary Year. - Flat in Fifth
It's interesting that if I click on a Times link from
here I get a terse message quoting my IP # and
am told to supply the country I am in and a
valid email address.

This is because they know you are not connecting from a UK server. I have the same problem using one of these world-wide ISP accounts which allows you to connect to a local node.

In UK timesonline is free. When overseas, using the same ISP, same PC, same favourites link, it demands payment.

They get the same answer from me, as in the time honoured salute from the English archers to the French.
Orwell's Centenary Year. - J Bonington Jagworth
How long before car ID's start being stolen or invented? If the chip uses electricity (which seems likely!) it will be possible to switch it off and, if required, substitute another. Scrappies will probably have boxes of them by the door...

Reminds me of another scheme, now apparently shelved, for providing police cars with a 'zapper' that could disrupt the operation of the ECU of a pursued vehicle, thus bringing it to a halt. Of course, it would also fry any computers within range, disrupt innocent vehicles (possibly killing the occupants if all the car electrics failed at once), and be usable against police vehicles if it fell into the wrong hands.

I think this idea is in a similar category - although that doesn't mean that Blair (how ironic!) and his chums won't try something similar.
Orwell's Centenary Year. - teabelly
If the ecu jammer had been used by the police, criminals would just steal cars with carbs.

I would actually like one of these to use on tailgaiters. If they get too close their brakes are applied so that they drop back. I also thought it might be amusing if the unit was capable of remapping the ecu program so their car ran like a shed all of a sudden for no apparent reason ;-)
teabelly