Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - Allyballybe
Hi there I am getting misfire on cylinder 4 on Audi a1 1.2 tfsi. The car can drives ok in 1st and 2nd then struggles over 2000rpm in any gear after. If you keep the revs under this the car runs fine. If you put the boot down and lift the revs the EPC engine management light come on and car goes into limp mode. Switch off ignition and car comes out of limp mode and drives the same.

The 2 codes coming up are p030400(cylinder 4 misfire) & P130A00(cylinder disabled due to electrical fault) the Audi has been in 2 separate garages who cannot find the fault. Parts that have been replaced so far are 4 spark plugs, cabling, coil pack, fuel filter, crank sensor, fuel rail sensor. Has anybody had the same issue? Everything has been checked and double checked....would it be best to change the injector on cylinder 4?
Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - elekie&a/c doctor
First thing I would be doing is a compression test to make sure all cylinders are relatively even . It could be an injector fault , but not easy access on an fsi engine . Something else that needs checking, is to make sure the inlet manifold is not all coked up . This will need to be removed to check the injector.
Compression test and manifold both checked and all good, a good few people have looked at it ??, my next step would be replace the number 4 injector unless it could be anything else ?

Thanks for anybody’s help on this.
Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - Big John

I'd have originally suggested the coil pack as on the EA111 they are a known failure point - obviously already changed - is it OEM?

Another consideration - is the catalytic converter breaking up and blocking things. Sometimes after driving some distance on something like a coil pack fault the catalytic converter can be damaged by unburnt fuel igniting. That might explain why it struggles as the car gets going through the gears increasing exhaust flow.

The catalytic converter failed (MOT - although it didn't break up) on my Octavia 1.4 16v when the coil pack gave up - it's the same wasted spark one as fitted to the 1.2 EA111. I drove around 10 miles or so after it failed. In 19 years of family ownership of the car the coil pack needed replacing twice.

Edited by Big John on 03/05/2021 at 23:46

New injector fitted on number 4. Still the same issue !! Car loses power in 2nd gear and if you put the revs over 2500 epc light comes on and engine management light and limp mode.

The car is still drivable. If I switch off the ignition and back on this resets the fault till you go through the cycle again.

Has anybody had this issue, some many parts have went in without a result.

Thanks
Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - Rerepo

presumably the injector is switched by a transistor in the ECU. Could it be the ECU switching circuitry that is fault?

Just a suggestion - turbo actuator? Another known fail point with the 1.2 EA111

Edited by Big John on 06/06/2021 at 22:25

Turbo actuator changed as well haha, driving everyone crazy !

These are the codes which are still the same after injector changed. Gonna get a auto spark to look at it through the week

Po30400 cyclinder 4 misfire detected
U111300 function limitation
P130ADO cyclinder disabling electrical fault in circuit

Thanks for any input on this

Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - elekie&a/c doctor
You seemed to have covered most of the electronic components, but perhaps there is a mechanical issue . I’m thinking broken valve spring or worn camshaft lobe . The ecu is shutting down an injector because it is sensing a misfire count .
You seemed to have covered most of the electronic components, but perhaps there is a mechanical issue . I’m thinking broken valve spring or worn camshaft lobe . The ecu is shutting down an injector because it is sensing a misfire count .

Re mechanical, could this be a cam chain / sprocket issue? I think in 2011 the A1 1.2 tsi had the EA111 cam chain 8v engine. There were many mods to the cam chain, sprockets and tensioner with this engine over the years - it could have slipped a tooth or two.

Edited by Big John on 09/06/2021 at 11:20

Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - DC motors

Please let me know what you did to fix this , my car is doing The exact same thing . The only difference Is my fault code is for cylinder 2 .

Edited by DC motors on 09/05/2022 at 19:28

Please let me know what you did to fix this , my car is doing The exact same thing . The only difference Is my fault code is for cylinder 2 .

Start with plugs/leads and coilpack these engines(EA111) are fussy.

Edited by Big John on 10/05/2022 at 21:31

Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - edlithgow

Re mechanical, could this be a cam chain / sprocket issue? I think in 2011 the A1 1.2 tsi had the EA111 cam chain 8v engine. There were many mods to the cam chain, sprockets and tensioner with this engine over the years - it could have slipped a tooth or two.

I have no experience this electronic diagnostic stuff, and don't much want any, but if its reporting a circuit fault, in my naivety I'd tend to suspect a circuit fault.

Maybe my lack of experience blunts my cynicism.

If there is a mechanical timing or valve gear fault, a dynamic in-cylinder running compression test (with the compression wave form displayed on a scope) might pick it up.

Audi a1 sport back 2011 - Cylinder 4 misfire 1.2 tfsi - DC motors

Hi there , what was the cause of the issue as my car is doing the exact same thing . If you have the solution please let me know