Citroen Xsara Picasso - Loose gear lever - Darryl Moore

Hi all,

Newbie here.

I recently bought a 2004 Xsara Picasso that needed some work on it. I am working through most things, but one thing i'm not sure about, so asking the question here.

The gear lever is loose and shakes side to side when in gear (No problem getting it into gear). On other cars, I have just changed the bushes, but I can't see any on this car. Under the gear lever gaiter, there is a black holding that has what looks like a ball joint, and the ball moves when i move the lever side to side when in gear. Is there meant to be something in there to stop the ball moving or is this a characteristic of the xsara?

Thank

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Loose gear lever - galileo

Hi all,

Newbie here.

I recently bought a 2004 Xsara Picasso that needed some work on it. I am working through most things, but one thing i'm not sure about, so asking the question here.

The gear lever is loose and shakes side to side when in gear (No problem getting it into gear). On other cars, I have just changed the bushes, but I can't see any on this car. Under the gear lever gaiter, there is a black holding that has what looks like a ball joint, and the ball moves when i move the lever side to side when in gear. Is there meant to be something in there to stop the ball moving or is this a characteristic of the xsara?

There is sometimes a short conical spring that holds the ball in the housing - if that is broken that would let the ball move.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Loose gear lever - focussed

As there are several repair kits listed it's a fair bet that yours is not the only loose gear lever!

www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spare-parts/citroen/repai...g