Kia Soul alternatives - tourantass

Hi we are looking to upgrade our current Kia Soul diesel automatic, we have found a nice 2018 version for £10700, however has anyone any ideas of an alternative that will give similar economy of 40mpg automatic and sat up a bit….We are happy to switch to petrol which with the price difference from diesel may make up for less mpg…..any ideas please…we do approx 12000 miles per annum?

[Thread moved from Technical forum, moderator]

Edited by Xileno on 03/05/2021 at 12:07

Kia Soul alternatives - elekie&a/c doctor
My wife runs a Suzuki Vitara . 1.6 petrol , manual . Averages around 45mpg , according to the trip computer. This is a sit up slightly car with easy access . Functional no frills car that does the job.
Kia Soul alternatives - movilogo

Ssangyong Tivoli ELX is often overlooked. It is Kia Soul with a bigger boot. I think you may get in 4WD mode too.Same long warranty too though I don't know future of Ssanyong so you may grab a bargain.

Kia Soul alternatives - Xileno

Possibly a Jeep Renegade. Looks a bit quirky like the Kia. A quick look on Autotrader shows quite a good selection within budget.

Kia Soul alternatives - Engineer Andy

Hi we are looking to upgrade our current Kia Soul diesel automatic, we have found a nice 2018 version for £10700, however has anyone any ideas of an alternative that will give similar economy of 40mpg automatic and sat up a bit….We are happy to switch to petrol which with the price difference from diesel may make up for less mpg…..any ideas please…we do approx 12000 miles per annum?

[Thread moved from Technical forum, moderator]

I test drove a Mazda CX-3 (now no longer sold new in the UK, but on sale from 2015 - 2019) in 2L petrol auto version, and it managed 40mpg, just about. There is a 1.5TD AWD Auto (few about though), but I wouldn't touch one given the known problems with second hand modern diesels, and especially Mazda ones. 12k miles pa is still well in petrol engine territory.

If I was going for that car, I'd get the SE-L (with or without the Nav, though it doesn't have Android Auto/Apple Car Play, at least not until the much later cars), as it is the best value in the range.

If you're not that worried about the Spec (all models get A/C, but the SE-L and Sport both have Climate Controlled A/C), then the Auto is available in the 'base' SE model.

I wouldn't get a Sport is they are overpriced, ride too firmly on 18in rims (16in for the other models) and have a smaller boot due to some of the ICE tech being in the underboot area where the space-saver spare wheel/tyre goes (which ISN'T standard fit either and costs £400).

You may be able to get the dealer to fit the spare wheel/tyre to 'sweeten' the deal, given I'm sure they are keen to shift them to make way for it's pseudo-replacement, the CX-30.

The CX-3 would drive a lot better than the Soul, though the KIA would likely still have some warranty left, which can be useful. I'm sure there are some alternatives from other makes for that size/style of car from the VAG stable, but I'm still wary of recommending dual clutch gearbox equipped cars, especially older second-hand ones.

Kia Soul alternatives - moward

Afternoon tourantass

I’m presuming by diesel automatic, you are really looking for something that’s automatic but is reasonably economical with it? Could you be persuaded to check out a Toyota CHR hybrid? It takes care of the automatic part, whilst avoiding the pitfalls of diesels alongside it. Its bigger inside than it looks from the outside, the boots a reasonable size and the kids don’t complain in the back seats (there’s good leg room for adults too).

We bought one 2 months back to replace our Suzuki S-Cross petrol, which Wifey is overjoyed with. On her (admittedly very hilly) school runs and commute, our CHR turns in about 48mpg. The Suzuki averaged about 38 in the same conditions, so this represents a 25% odd improvement like for like for our use. I have only done some brief motorway driving with it but managed a little over 60mpg on these trips with some room for improvement.

The hybrid system itself is extremely refined, probably the smoothest driving transmission I’ve ever used. Pulling away from standstill is extremely smooth with no drivetrain vibration whatsoever (the electric motors are the primary motive units, the petrol engine is secondary and only comes on as needed). No doubt someone will be along to tell you about the propensity of the engine to rev, it does but its nowhere near as intrusive at the motoring press would have you believe. I believe its only gets noticed because its off the rest of the time. Remember Journalists aren’t engineers, they have a word limit to make and a load of clichés with which to fill it.

Only once one own's a car, and has it parked in the driveway, does one really get the chance to admire its styling properly. Obviously this is a personal taste thing, but I must admit that the CHR has grown on me immensely, I liked it before we bought one, I really like it now and think it looks fantastic in blue with the black roof.

Please feel free to ask below if there is anything you would like to know more about.

Regards, M.