manual window winder removal - Clio - Billy Whizz
Hi, I am risking not getting a reply to this as it is Saturday night but here goes...

Mate\'s 96 Clio 4-door: the driver\'s window winder handle is showing its age as the knob you hold keeps coming off or jamming when turning. I suggested swapping the whole handle with one of the virtually unused ones on the back doors. Trouble is I cannot see how to get it off! I am sure it pretty easy (well, I hope it is).

Anyone know how? Ta, in advance.
manual window winder removal - Andrew-T
Should be easy - it pulls straight off the splined spindle, though it may need a good tug. If you have anything like a fork with the middle prongs removed, that would lever it off nicely.
manual window winder removal - Billy Whizz
Gosh. I am going to enjoy watching his face when I put both feet on the door panel and just pull. He was thinking: split pins, cotter pins, escutcheons, circlips or even a old-fashioned self-tapper would be involved. I'll have a look around for a suitable tool as per your suggestion. Thanks.
manual window winder removal - Kuang
Apologies if I'm misreading this (which I usually do!) but do you mean you're not sure how to remove the winder, or you've worked out *how* to get it off but it isn't playing ball?

There's usually a cap over the centre of the winder that you can pop with a sharp knife (or even a tiny screwdriver if there's a notch at the edge for that very purpose). You usually have a flanged nut underneath which holds it onto the spline.

If you've already done this but can't manage to get it off the spline, I find that an old wooden clothes peg split in half by removing the spring makes a great pair of wedges to insert under each side - just make sure you put a piece of card under them first though to stop marking the door panel.
manual window winder removal - Billy Whizz
Kuang, I have had a good look at the winder and there is no centre cap that I can see (unlike many other winders I have seen before). I have also gently pushed the door panel in to see if there was any form of locating device hidden by the escutcheon (plastic ring between the winder and door). There wasn't anything I could see.

Hence I could not work out what was holding it on. Andrew suggests it is just a push fit onto a splined shaft (although I thought I saw a square drive shaft in the fading light this afternoon. I suppose a square drive shaft could be splined...)

I'll take another look tomorrow and I'll get back to you when I bust it off ;-)
manual window winder removal - Andrew-T
Billy - I was quoting partly from experience, partly from the recent Haynes manual which shows a splined circular spindle in the photo. It covers Clio 98-2001 so I suppose Renault might have changed the pattern since 96?
Job done! - Billy Whizz
Brilliant! Andrew, you were right on the money. A closer look in better light did in fact reveal a round shaft. A suitable tool wrapped in an (clean) old sock and one careful but mighty tug later and off it popped. I started with the rear one just in case it went belly up. 5 minutes and job done.

So riding on the crest of a wave of over-confidence, I took an extra 15 minutes swapping over the two front seat cushions as the foam side bolsters were softening up a little on the driver's side. All sorted and I am presently sipping the well earned pint c/o my mate. Cheers, all. ;-)