Diesel light! Pug 405 TD - jammods
Hi my diesel light doesnt come on with the ignition, and the vehicle wont start (405 TD, I have tried a new preheater and that hasnt done the trick...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Diesel light! - Sooty Tailpipes
Glow plug relay or big fuse?
Something glowplug related anyway.
Diesel light! - jammods
Hi have been looking for a fuse for the circuit but cant find it any ideas where it is please?
Diesel light! - sb01372
The Glowplug light and the fuel pump are on the same relay on my VW Polo. Sorry can't help with location on Peugeot.
Diesel light! - Another John H
I don't know how much of the thinking behind the wiring on a 405 is similar to a 505, but..

A 505 has an earth wire from the heater relay which emerges by the alternator, it is earthed on the body shell via a self tapper.
This is a bad place to be as all the vibration eventually fatigues the inner of this wire: no earth, no relay operation, no go.

The way that fault was diagnosed is interesting:
a probe with a 6 watt bulb in the handle was used to prod around the relay. The other end of the probe was earthed - it lights up where ever you find +12, and draws enough current to operate the relay, if the earth is missing.

HTH

John H
Diesel light! - Bromptonaut
had exactly the same experience (including no glowplug light on the dash) on a BX, mechanically very close to the 405. As JH's expereince prob was with the earth from the relay. In my case found by tracing the wiring from the glow plugs following a hunch. Dealer who sold the car a fortnight before tried to tell me I was unfamiliar with the vehicle and light was hidden by bright sunlight (trade in was another BX!).
Diesel light! - jammods
Thanks for all replies so far.

I have done some investigation and there is 12v going into the relay from the battery but nothing on the wire going out, would this be typical of a bad earth connection?

The earthing problem I was refering to is to the coil which operates the relay - so yes it would stop the relay working, and the power being switched out.

It is possible that you have a faulty relay, but assume initially it's OK, but not operating.

Can you hear the relay operate when the "ignition" is turned on??

Unless you have a good diagram of the electrics I would stick with the "probe" method as described earlier: that way you can draw current through the bulb without fireworks if you find +12, but if you find the end of the relay which is missing its earth there is enough current drawn to make the relay operate.

Diesel light! - jammods
Yes the relay clicks, does that make things different?
Yes, if the relay is operating then the earthing is OK.

Looks like you're probably back to the first reply:

>>Glow plug relay or big fuse?

Relay problem possibly being burnt out contacts..
Diesel light! - jammods
big fuse??????????
I'm not familiar with the 405.. but like the man says it would have to be big (in value, if not size), assuming it has one, as the plugs draw about 20 amps each - AFAIK.

If there is no current limiting at all it would be a recipe for a good fire, or a burnt-out relay, if you had a wiring fault or shorted-out plug.
Diesel light! - jammods
been told by a mechanic that one or more knackered glow plugs could cause this problem, can anyone confirm this please?
Diesel light! - Altea Ego
Yes indeedy. Had a 405d non turbo. One glow plug went and the light didnt work.
Diesel light! - rg
FWIW buy decent glowplugs (Bosch, etc) not badged up ones from a motoring chain store. 80% of the price but only 30% of the service life.

rg (405 1.9D 1994-2002 251K RIP)
Diesel light! - jammods
Thanks I'm gonna change em all because they have given me three years service, If anyone is interested neat autos are very cheap for Peugeot spares, Glow Plugs @ £6.00 each.