Astra automatic gearbox problem - David Horn
Hi,

Just stumbled on this site - fabulous source of information!

Anyway, I recently picked up an L-reg Astra 1.6 Automatic from my Gran, who can\'t drive any more. :(

Well, I just wanted to ask someone who might have experience with Astra autos - from a cold start it changes gears at much higher revs than usual, about 3000 RPMs to move out of first. After about 5 minutes normal driving things are fine - gears change very smoothly at low revs.

I initially thought this was due to the gearbox oil being cold, and perhaps it is, but strangely, checking the gearbox oil and removing and replacing the dipstick solves the problem for that journey.

Have tried an oil change, which has helped, but not solved the problem.

On a sidenote, I discovered something interesting on the triple function display. Pushing and holding both buttons for 5 seconds starts a self test of the display, with the bonus of showing your speed in KPH for a few seconds first. Very odd, as I wouldn\'t expect that sort of thing to be read, as this is the bog-standard screen showing date, radio and time and temp.

Finally, I\'m looking into changing the radio for a nice Blaupunkt one. I can get a display link for the Astra G and not the F. If I change the radio, will the date still show when the radio is on, or will it be blank. I also read of possible issues with the engine management computer... can someone set me straight.

Thanks very much.

David.
Astra automatric gearbox problem - Sooty Tailpipes
The higher shift points when cold are normal, this is claimed to be to get the catalytic converter up to working temperature faster (according to the manuals)

Some later GM autos allowed this to be reduced with a firmware update if customers complained. Post 1998 control units have flashable ROM, and new firmware came out in 2000.
Astra automatric gearbox problem - Aprilia
Can't remember which 'box is fitted. If its the GM125 then it could be a sticking governor.
Astra automatric gearbox problem - Dynamic Dave
Re: Gearbox.

I have to agree with what "joosisiqu" has mentioned about getting the cat warmed up that much quicker. There's a similar thread lurking here somewhere where BMW's do the same apparantely.

Re: Radio.

Yes, if you change it for one that doesn't use the separate display, the date and time will still be present, just like it is when the radio is switched off - however the time and date will no longer auto update from the RDS signal of the radio. When the clocks go forward/back you'll have to use the buttons to set it manually.

On a totally separate note, when was the cambelt and belt tensioner (if fitted) last changed? It should be done every 4 years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
Astra automatric gearbox problem - David Horn
Thanks for correcting the subject line spelling mistake - I noticed but couldn't be bothered!!

RE Cam belt - going in Thursday. Although the car's only done 36k it's 10 years old and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It's good to know that the gearbox is normal as it warms up - it did worry me a little, but the only thing still puzzling me is why it would drive so wonderfully perfect after removing and reinserting the dipstick.

Finally - kickdown - how many gears is it supposed to drop? At 40MPH it'll drop from third to first, and almost redline before it then changes to second. Useful for frightening passengers and pedestrians, though. :-)

Thanks again for your help!
Astra automatric gearbox problem - Dynamic Dave
only thing still puzzling me is why it would drive so
wonderfully perfect after removing and reinserting the
dipstick.

Maybe it's because of those couple of extra minutes it takes to check the gearbox oil instead of just driving off that allows the engine to warm up enough to keep the ecu happy.
Finally - kickdown - how many gears is it supposed to
drop? At 40MPH it'll drop from third to first, and
almost redline before it then changes to second.

Perfectly normal. Both my previous Cavalier, my current Vectra, and my Dad's auto Astra do the same.