Passat 1.8T temp gauge problems - msm
Sorry for this real basic enquiry but my Passat's temp gauge seems to be dead. Sometime it'll come back to life and the needle moves to the halfway mark, as it should, but then almost as quickly it will drop back down to zero.

At first it was an intermittant problem but now it's hardly registering anything. The car's not overheating or anything, so I guess it must be a simple issue.

Anyone have any ideas as I am hoping it's a simple enough problem that I could remedy. Thx.

S.
Passat 1.8T temp gauge problems - Malcolm_L
Check the connection from the sender unit - could be a loose
or dirty connection.

Sender unit is normally on the radiator or the cylinder head near the water pump.

Thx mate, I'll check that out.

S.
Passat 1.8T temp gauge problems - DL
After a run, how hot is the radiator top hose?

Is it too hot to hold for more than 5 secs? If so, I'd expect a gauge sender fault. If it is just warm, I'd expect a thermostat fault.

Does the gauge rise if the engine is run without moving the car, in, say, a traffic jam?
DL mate, not really checked the way you've suggested. I'll do that tonight and see. Mucho gracias :)

If either the sender or thermostat is faulty, is it possible to replace them myself or will it be a garage job. Just that I've never had a car with a full engine compartment before, so used to running old Cavaliers! Thx.

S.
Forgot to say, no the gauge won't necessarily rise when idle in traffic.

S.