Done to a turn - Mary Longford
Come on ladies and gentlemen, do we have to keep starting new threads about the same things?

Especially about the government's efforts, and those of several amoral, immoral, and even psychologically sociopathic elements of society, to deprive other sections (the majority) of society of vast sums of money, as a prelude to depriving them of personalised motor transport.

Now you may be somewhat put out by this.

You may even feel that if things go on as they are: you will have nothing left to live for but surreptitious visits to the classic car and antiques roadshow websites.

But are the things of which you write ongoing?

Do you see, for example, the government, or their acolytes and apologists, daily broadcasting their views in the media: television, wireless radio, the newspapers, magazines, billboard and other advertising, official literature, educational establishments, and in a myriad of internet based sources.

Do they continuously come out with new twists on their spin for why you shouldn't do this, or it's wrong for you to do that, or you are harming something or someone if you do the other?

Surely not.

And if now and again a new twist raises your bile, do you really need to shower it on the poor unsuspecting public.

Stop and think of the effect it might have if someone were to innocently click on your link, and unsuspectingly read the contents of your post.

So, for safety's sake, if you really want the chance to make your comments heard on the latest news items, rather than car or motoring related issues: contribute your opinions by searching for and joining an existing discussion thread, and make your point there.

If you fear that no one will see it three or four pages back, or at least the one other person that might be interested, simply right click on the link and copy the address into a new thread. Make sure the new thread is clearly labelled to make it recognisable as opening up onto a whole nether world that decent people may be afraid to enter. And Bob's your uncle.
Re: Done to a turn - Andrew Hamilton
Yes I am guilty. When you are stuck in traffic for hours due to this government you do need to express your views and get help when your motor sulks! Look at it as a form of therapy. What car do you drive?
Re: Done to a turn - steve paterson
Mary, whilst I more or less fully agree with your main points, I've always been a bit suspicious of Basingstoke, the AA have their head office there.
Re: Done to a turn - Mark
Don't think you will find a motoring website anywhere on the net without gripes about

a) fuel taxation;

b) Speed Cameras.

unless it is censored, for the feeble minded or moderated to death.

as ever

Mark
Re: Done to a turn - David Woollard
Interesting post......Mary.

Normally I would expect to support something in your moderate tone but as long as posts are polite and well mannered there is no problem with airing similar subjects over and again.

Posts do get lost in the archive pages over time and new joiners to the forum may well have a different angle that warrants fresh discussion.

Heaven forbid losing (for me) the right to stop plugging the excellent Citroen Turbo Diesels every few posts. No good at all to have to pop it back on the existing threads.

And as for......

"Do you see, for example, the government, or their acolytes and apologists, daily broadcasting their views in the media: television, wireless radio, the newspapers, magazines, billboard and other advertising, official literature, educational establishments, and in a myriad of internet based sources.

Do they continuously come out with new twists on their spin for why you shouldn't do this, or it's wrong for you to do that, or you are harming something or someone if you do the other?"

Yes that is exactly what this Government does best. Never have I seen a PM who so believes if you keep saying something it will come true, or at least we'll all think it will.

By the way I did have an Uncle Bob but Tony will never be Uncle to me.

And yes, do tell us something of your motoring interests.

Regards,

David (Ever reasonable but never trodden on)
Re: Done to a turn - Mary Longford
But I don't drive Andrew, dear. I knitted my own sandals: walking is ever so good for you. I only visit this site to protect you from yourselves. And to protect others from you, you poor deluded children. It's a horrible, unrewarding and unthanked job, but I've decided it's going to be my job. Do you realise that if you keep on as you are doing, as sure as eggs is eggs, sometime in the next 36 million miles you are practically guaranteed to kill a poor, innocent pedestrian. Always assuming that you are an "average" homicidal motorist, of course.

And you may well be right in what you say Mark, but that is surely reason enough to keep this site pure, reserved only for the joys of motoring past, not the horrors of motoring future, assuming of course that that horror, motoring, is to be allowed a future. Anthony says: probably not. But of course, that does cause problems for Gordon. Although John could never see why.

But, this is a democracy, and so your rights, Andrew, and yours too, Mark, must be surrendered for the greater good of society, of humanity, of the planet, even.

However, I have had a chat with Anthony (and John, and even Gordon agrees) and we've decided that as there are only the two of you, your names should fit onto the title of your own page: Andy and Mark's Rant and Rage Page. That way you'll always know where to find each other. And everyone else will know how to avoid your scurrilous little snipes at our wonderful government, and our even more fantabulous leader. The rest of us will be able to address those still quite important issues that Anthony says are more appropriate for people not quite qualified to sit on his focus groups should be bothering their little heads about.
Re: Done to a turn - Vin
To quote another contributor:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I think "Mary" s tongue is so far in "her" cheek that she must be mumbling.
Re: Done to a turn - fred smith
isnt one of the prime qualifications for tonys focus groups to have spare time on your hands to turn up

which makes it ideal for teachers/social workers/lefty solicitors etc etc

and highly under represented by those of us who work hard to bring money into the country to pay for tony and his quangos
or drooling perhaps

the bit about being pure sent shivers up my spine, where I have heard this before?

as ever

Mark
yea get the cars off the roads and make way for the panzers (or their modern equivalent john and tones jags?)

we will have a pure country, with government controlled science and statistics, and a fully fledged propoganda programme
I'm all for surrendering my rights for better future as long as it doesnt involve ending up in cattle truck or being sent for re-education.

as ever

Mark
biggest government advertising spend in history...

i think we need a resistance movement
Re: Done to a turn - Tom Shaw
Pardon?
Now, I can never remember, was it the AA or the RAC which seemed to share a spokesman on motoring issues with those lovely liberal democrats? Then again, from his pronouncements, I might be confusing them with those wonderful greens. And you can never have enough greens, my mother used to say.
Done to a turn - David Lacey
Oh just go away

This thread is so boring and irrelevant
I think "Mary" s tongue is so far in "her" cheek..............

Who's cheek are you implying my tongue is in, young man? I find that most impertinent. I was well brought up, and am still pure and chased I'll have you know. I don't do tongues like those nasty French. So, so....., biological!

Did you know that they used to call their cars "TRDs". Well, I soon put a stop to that. I and half a dozen of the girls wrote to the Advertising Standards people complaining. That's NOT the kind of thing we want to see published! And they had to change it to DTR. Nearly gave them a bad case of the DT's. They had no option but to back down under force of numbers. Well, seven IS my lucky number.
first theyll ban us for doing 31 mph three times in one day

then theyll force us to undertake "reeducation" (indoctrination)

they'll probably bus us to these sessions if they carnt find cattle trucks

and probably lots of smiling traffic cops will await our arrival

just make sure you dont get gold teeth fitted cos they only want your money
must dig out my george orwell and see what he says about cameras everywhere again

still nice of him to name a book after brian mays band

must rush off and get my identity card stamped NON DRIVER, I dont want to have to wear a big star on my coat letting everyone know that I know how to drive...
Not for the easily bored as no relevant content! - Mary Longford
Well, children, it is 9.30. I think it's time we all went to bed now. Some of us will need to be up bright and early for work in the morning. I know that some of you younger ones, and children even, aren't back at school or college yet, but "early to bed, early to rise..........." as my mother always used to stay. You never know when your husband is going to have trouble getting up in the morning, and then needs help cranking his starting handle before he can set off for work. So its a milky ovaltine and goodnight for now.
Turn over please - Guy Lacey
Turn over please#2 - David Lacey
Thanks Guy!

Got there before me!
Please, lets have some more technical threads rather than this drivel

David
Re: Done to a turn - Paul Whitehead
What are you on about . . . . please?