Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Marlin1

I have been looking for a front and rear dashcam and am confused.

The review as so mixed, even on premium brands like Nextbase or Garmin seem to have recurring problems (SD card incompatibles and annoying bugs like forgetting language choices).

Do any forum users have any real life experience of any dash cams that they would like to recommend please?

(Ideally suitable for hard wiring.)

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - bathtub tom

I've had a couple of cheap ones. The first one forestalled any arguments when a van ran into me, but it had recurring problems with the power supply plug and SWMBO got fed up with me hogging the dining table with soldering iron and stuff. She bought me one for Christmas with a rear camera. That appears fine so far.

Both needed a 5V power supply with the 'drop down' in the plug. You'll need to be aware of this if you're intending to hard wire one.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Mike H

If you are hard wiring, be aware that dash cms are not legal in all countries (e.g. Austria, where I live). Obviously not a problem at the moment, but if you are intending to drive abroad at some point worth bearing in mind.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - madf

I have used a G!W dahs cam - cheapy for about 6 years. Still workls

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - FP

I have been using a Nextbase 402G (front-facing only) for over five years now and it has worked without problems.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - _

I have a nextbase 312, does the job and good support online.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Ian D
Techmoan.com has some good unbiased reviews. I have for several years used a Viofo A119S which is great, mounts behind the speckled/dark strip at the top of the windscreen with just the lens pointing out below, very difficult to see, be wary of the dashcams that look like cameras and mount lower down on suction mounts, you could end up (like me neighbour did) with someone breaking in to steal it, and face facts, nobody wants the hassle of removing an obvious dashcam whenever you leave the car.
Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Miniman777
Techmoan.com has some good unbiased reviews. I have for several years used a Viofo A119S which is great, mounts behind the speckled/dark strip at the top of the windscreen with just the lens pointing out below, very difficult to see, be wary of the dashcams that look like cameras and mount lower down on suction mounts, you could end up (like me neighbour did) with someone breaking in to steal it, and face facts, nobody wants the hassle of removing an obvious dashcam whenever you leave the car.

All the family cars have VIOFO cameras. Chose them because of their small footprint and they use a capacitor so run on after the ignition is off. Model A119 or 119S in 2 cars, but in the BMW, soon to be the main car is an A129 Pro Duo. It’s front and rear, hardwired myself, stuck with a 3M sticky pad, and can be controlled by an app. Footage can be downloaded to the phone too. Not worth skimping on, but some £400 cameras are no better in quality.
Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Pablo el Diablo

I wouldn't buy anything with a suction cup type holder, any harder crash or braking and it could fold or even fall from the windscreen , you can't afford to lose precious recording. I have a VIOFO a119 version 3 in front and a118 on rear of my citroen, they look cheap and hard to notice, videos are decent enough. I know the newer versions are more expensive. Can't see myself driving without one. To see a sample video from viofo A119 dashcam just type into search on youtube: Dodgy MOT tests at main dealer caught on dashcam

Edited by Pablo el Diablo on 13/04/2021 at 17:32

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - primus 1

Try the dashcamtalk forums, plenty of dashcams from all makes, I don’t think there is the perfect dash cam they all have their issues, I’ve had a nextbase 522, front and rear, it ran very hot, alarmingly so, simply solved by turning off the screen, I now have a blackvue front and rear cams, no screen, footage is viewed over WiFi to my phone, generally very pleased with it however, it’s a tad pricey, mine is hardwired and has parking mode which is through the blackvue power magic, it shuts the power off at a set voltage so as not to flatten the battery, it also allows parking mode to be switched on or off,

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - S40 Man

I have got one of these. £20 from euro car partsTopop Tech Full HD Dash Camera 3” (1080p)

Great value and decent footage.

Good enough for peace of mind, with less worry about it being nicked. At that price you could get one for the front and one for the back and only be down fourty notes.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - movilogo

I am running dashcams for last 5 years. Here is what I learnt.

1. They are useful. I had one minor accident where because of dashcam footage it was quickly settled in my favour. It was a rear end shunt and I had only front dashcam. It captured how my car moved forward from stationery position and how I exchanged details with other party after both cars were parked on the roadside after the accident.
  2. Cheap dashcams are fine. Make sure if you use high qualify micro SD card inside.
  3. Take out SD card from time to time [at least once every quarter] to check it is capturing videos correctly.
  4. Mine is not hard wired. I used duct tapes to attach. Bit unsightly and from time to time duct tape comes off so I have to reapply them.
  5. Make sure your dashcam memory card slot and power cable are at the side! Mine is at the top and it is a pain to take memory card out because I have to remove entire dashcam from windscreen and have to reposition again.
  6. The suction cup falls off from time to time. Have to reattach.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Heidfirst

I have Thinkware F800 Pro front & rear which will be 3+ years old so probably outdated by now.

Was bought as supposedly Thinkware had the best parking mode performance (important for my needs/situation) at that time but it does duplicate some "advanced" features that the car already had. Has been reliable & gets updates on a regular basis.

I note that AutoExpress have published/updated their test today www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/85714/be...w

Edited by Heidfirst on 13/04/2021 at 22:17

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Gibbo_Wirral

Vantrue and Nextbase would be my recommendations.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - KylerJeremy
Does anyone use a dash cam ? If so, what brand. With all the crazy drivers, thinking of getting one.
Dash Cam Recommendations Please - paul 1963
Does anyone use a dash cam ? If so, what brand. With all the crazy drivers, thinking of getting one.

Anything by nextbase.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Heidfirst

see post 2 above yours - my Thinkware is still going strong.

Dash Cam Recommendations Please - Smileyman

I have a VIOFO front/rear camera set up, I power this from an unused USB port in the car that is powered only when the engine is running, had the rear cable installed under the headlining when I had the sunroof installed (2018). I purchased it direct from importer, not via any well known online stores. Both cameras are detachable from the base units.

The image and sound quality from both cameras is great, but sometimes I wonder if there is a "non-specific software fault" or just paranoia on my part. I do not use any GPS unit.

One very important word of caution for all dashcam users. The video could prove to be evidence of your driving, for most of us that's fine but do something wrong and the image could be used against you. Also, it would be criminal offence to delete driving history to hide such evidence, but of course there is no restriction on the size of the memory card - and by using a small card that continually loops and overwrites existing data the is a reduced scope for committing such criminal act.

Edited by Smileyman on 01/11/2022 at 21:24