All weather bulbs - BobG
I run two Renaults which both suffer from excessive scatter and glare from the front foglamps, particularly at night. I read that the so called "all weather bulbs" sold by several manufacturers emit a pale yellow light which is claimed to give less glare. Do any of you guys have experience of these bulbs ?
Another related question is if they give less glare and scatter will this make me less visible to other road users, especialy in daytime fog ?
All weather bulbs - Peter D
Are you the guy that drives around with your fog lights on all the time. ?? Did you know that it is illegal to have fog/spot lights on unlees the visibility is less that 100 metres and your head lights are on.
All weather bulbs - Andrew-T
Have you considered that maybe high visibility to other users = higher annoyance level to other road users (dazzle, glare etc)? [Never mind the daytime foglight question]
All weather bulbs - hxj

Yep I have the same problem on the two or three times a year that I need front fog lights on.

So I never bothered to have it fixed.

Mind you I got my eyes tested and proper glasses made a huge difference. I am sure that most fog light drivers actually need glases.
All weather bulbs - Dynamic Dave
No more smart alec remarks about when and when not to use fog lights please. They have been done to death over in discussion many many times already, and no doubt this winter they'll all start up again.

Now, can anyone can offer BobG some sensible suggestions about what type of bulbs he should try?
--
Dynamic Dave
Back Room Moderator

mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
All weather bulbs - jc
Yellow bulbs as used in the past in French headlights reduce the output by 20%-they have no other advantage.
All weather bulbs - John S
BobG

Scatter and glare are far more likely to be related to the design of the lamps and lenses (or indeed the scattering effect of the water droplets that make up fog!) than the bulbs and I doubt bulb changes will improve matters.

Any bulb that has a colour cast will emit less light than a normal white bulb - the colour is not added to the white light light, but results from the other components of the spectrum being filtered out to favour the chosen colour.

Regards

john S
All weather bulbs - DavidHM
I had both white and 'all weather' bulbs on my Renault and while I think I preferred the light from the all weather, this was purely cosmetic. I don't think there was any advantage in terms of output or safety whatsoever.
All weather bulbs - Altea Ego
BobG,

Being on my second renault (first a scenic with the square fogs second a laguna with the round ones) and i have to say they didnt scatter or galre with standard bulbs. In fact i would be hard pressed to see any light at all. next to useless, they are set very low, cut off about 4 feet in front of the bonnet.
All weather bulbs - BobG
Interesting observations. My lamps send light almost as far as the dipped headlights on "laden". Possibly they are set wrongly - I'll see the dealer as both are under warranty.