Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - THe Growler
Goes great with convertibles and my personal pick:

One Foot In The Blues: ZZ Top.
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - bugged {P}
houses of the holy - led zep
Summer Cruisin\' Music CD\'s - spikeyhead {p}
Am still on cassettes, so not perfectly qualifed to reply to this but...

Switching between two tapes at the moment:-

Led Zep III and IV.

The other has Snuff, Sunff said... and flibidydibbidybob on one side and the Moldy Peaches on the other.

--
I read often, only post occaisionally
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - borasport20
Chuck Berry - Maybelline

Maybelline, why can't you be true? LOL love it....where did she get the Cadillac from and would it really do 105?......

..I knew it was doing my motor good.
LOL, Maybellene why can't you be true, did your Cadillac really do 95, and I knew it was doing my motor good.

But (jump to 1964) I couldn't unfasten my safety belt...
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - andymc {P}
Try Youth & Young Manhood by Kings Of Leon - belting driving music! Also pretty much anything by the White Stripes, especially Hotel Yorba.
andymc
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Liverpaul
One from outer field: The Cure - Mixed up. I'm not particularly a Cure fan, but this album has superb extended versions of a few of their songs including lullaby and is absolutely superb to drive to. A good friend was playing it in his car a number of years back, and I didn't even know what/ who it was, but liked it so much that I went out and bought it the next day - superb.

Paul
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Ian (Cape Town)
Probably the worst LP Fat Bob Smith made, IMHO! (Ok, call me a Cure-Purist!)
My personal favourite summer song is Don Henley's Boys of Summer - recently covered by some buffon called DJ Sammy.

At present I have ZZTop, Stones, Bo Diddley and Bob Marley in the car. (as well as Wheels on the Bus - but let's not go there)
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - 3500S
Recently bought the Flaming Lips latest offering, the very imaginatively titled "Yoshima Battles the Pink Robots". Superb summer driving music.

Also a compliation of Atlantic, Stax and Motown I made up from numerous CDs I own. Edwin Starr's "25 miles from Home" seems oddly appropriate on my commute home not mention some Sam and Dave, Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding and the great Ray Charles belting out 'In the Heat of the Night'.
Well there's hope for you yet Ian, you got the first three right.
Growlette also said why don't we have Stevie Ray Vaughan in there too and I said right girl you HAVE been listening to Big Gall these years, have another Corona.

Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - corblimeyguvnar
At the mo its Kerplunk and Nimrod by Green Day, but White Stripes as a close second.
Exploited - Punks Not Dead, when I'm in a hurry,
David Gray, when I'm not.
Anti-Knowhere League, when in a particularly cantankerous mood.

Drink Lager Talk Piffle
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - BB
Layo and Bushwacka, Gaetano Parisio and Blondie.

I dont think many would have heard of them (except Blondie). Anyway, whats all this business with CD's. Get yourself a digital player (portable hard drive) and store 5000+ tunes and then you can just listen to all your favourite tracks. Plug it into your car stereo and voila.

Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Mark (RLBS)
Eagles (Hell Freezes Over), various Dire Straits, REM, Supertramp and even some ELO.

Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - bugged {P}
Blimey! Backroomers not only have good taste in cars but some even appear to have good taste in music ;-))) (mark!!!)

And you 3500s!

Cant believe there is someone else who likes the flaming lips!!!
they're great!!!

However does anyone on here listen to or even heard of Silversun!????? i would be most intrested to know!!!

Ah, Jeff Lynne. What happened to him? I have him on some Traveling Wilburys but that's a good decade or more ago.
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Dan J
Melody A.M. by Royksopp is going down very well at the moment.

Left window down today - car so hot yesterday afternoon I couldn't sit in the damn thing until the aircon had been left on for 10 mins!!!
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - robZilla
Songs For The Deaf has been going round and round for the last couple of weeks. Either that or a compilation I made from all three Queens of the Stone Age albums... unbeatable!
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Brill {P}
Zephyr 'Sunset Ride'.
Summer Cruisin\' Music CD\'s - John R @ Work {P}
Rammstein - Mutter
Uber punk/metal/rock, with the bass & volume way up... :-)

...until I pick up SWMBO, then it\'s back to Radio 2. :-(

John R
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Vin {P}
Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Particularly "Something in the Night"

V
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - HF
>>Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Exactly what I was going to say! Except that I'm still in the dark ages with cassettes, so didn't feel fully qualified to post.

Esp. 'Racing in the Street'.

HF
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - BB
Quite right DanJ. Melody A.M is an extremely good CD. I saw them live in Brighton a year ago and they were absolutely fantastic. Good relaxing driving music.
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - frostbite
Willie (Nelson) & Waylon (Jennings)

and none of your sarky comments thankyou.
No "sarky" comments at all. Not everyone knows Waylon (RIP) used to play with The Crickets.

Give my regards to Luckenbach, Texas, Willie and Waylon and the boys :-) Do you have that "Leather and Lace" Album he (Waylon) did with Jessie Coulter?
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Stargazer {P}
When allowed control of the CD player...

John Martyn 'Solid Air'
Jethro Tull 'Living with the Past..live'
Meatloaf 'Bat out of Hell'
Pink Floyd 'Delicate sound of Thunder'

More usually.....
Nursery Rhymes...various
Bippity Boppity Boo
Whinney the Pooh

Thank god for the fader control to switch the sound largely to the back of the car!

Ian L.

Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Anglesey Ian
Anyone tried:

'Electric Music for Mind & Body' - Country Joes and the Fish.

Halcyon days eh ?

AI
Country Joes and the
Fish.

"Be the first one on your block to have your boy come home in a box"

Still got that 45 somewhere!
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - hootie
When allowed control of the CD player...
Thank god for the fader control to switch the sound largely
to the back of the car!

And Hooray to that Ian, especially on long trips!

Well past the selection you've shown (although we did our time LOL)
Short journeys are quite amicable, and we often settle for the radio, flicking channels.

Hot weather is ok, as we all like something to sing to, and have a good mix of old and new cds (I mean me and the girls, Mr H does his own thing, which usually means leaving the same 6 cd's in until they rot) but, I'm dreading the winter motoring when the girls' choice of music might make my ears bleed from time to time!!!
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - J Bonington Jagworth
Is that Hootie as in H and the Blowfish? Just curious...
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Brill {P}
"John Martyn 'Solid Air'"

Real class Ian, plus the rest of his backlist, apart perhaps from 'Road to Ruin' with his wife Beverly wailing the harmonies. Seen him many times.

Stu.
Stu,

Last saw him at the Newcastle City Hall in 1987, brilliant concert.

When CDs first came out he did a cardboard wrapped CD single
'Angeline'...it was the 2nd ever CD single and is now very much a collector's item. I wish I still had my copy, still have it on cassette for the car but lost the original in my travels.

Ian
Do you have that "Leather and Lace" Album he
(Waylon) did with Jessie Coulter?

>>
Regrettably, no. Just have W&W LP which I taped for the car.
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Morris Ox
How's about...

Isley Brothers, Summer Breeze/Harvest for the World/This Old Heart of Mine;

Most anything from 'Rumours';

Eagles 'Desperaod'

Beach Boys 'God Only Knows'

O'Jays 'Back Stabbers'

Walker Brothers 'Sun ain't gonna shine anymore'

Floyd 'Us and Them'

And pretty much anything hy Tony Bennettt, Frank Sinatra.

Not forgetting, of course, 'Dad I'm in Jail' by Was (Not Was)

..so desperate he got Desperado wrong. Aagh!
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - PR {P}
As above, Royksopp, Melody AM. Also Fun Lovin Criminals, Loco and Air, Moon Safari
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - joe
Al Green "Take me to the river"
Marvin Gaye "let's get it on"
Absolutely anything by JJ Cale
Any of ZZ Top's 70's albums, but especially Tres Hombres.
I thought I was the only person like me, now I know you guys (well some of you) appreciate proper music. Rock on.

"Desperaod"

You a Grauniad reader, Morris? :-)

I'm a bit surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned Steppenwolf's 'Born to be Wild' yet, nor Alannah Myles, whose 'Black Velvet' is great late-night driving music: "Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell... the sun is setting like molasses in the sky."

'Johnny B Goode' by Johnny Winter would be good, too.
Oh, all right here we go.

Mustang Sally: Buddy Guy

Paradise by the Dashboard Light: Meatloaf

Little Deuce Coupe: Beach Boys

..dragged away babbling incoherently....

Roadrunner-- Junior Walker and the All Stars
Blue Jean Blues--ZZ Top
Firecracker--Ryan Adams
King Bee--Muddy Waters
Tightrope-- Stevie Ray Vaughan

I could go on.....
>>>I could go on.....

Please do, you've hit the groove right there.

Just a couple before I shut up:

George Thorogood: Move It On Over

ZZT (again) You Don't Love Me You Love My Automobile

Outta here,

G

I think this thread is losing the motoring connection! I would love to compare record collections with you sometime Growler, you sound like a man of rare taste and discernment.
LOL. If it's blues or rock and it's about trucks, Harleys, hot-rods or women, I've got it......Drive safe good buddy.

Growler out.
This is a guess, but I suspect you may have a few Bruce Springsteen records?
Da Boss.
I just dug up Dylan's "Street Legal" (see the motoring allusion? :-) as well the other day. What a great album. But thanks to the march of automotive technology which combines the best of the old with that of the new (thank you Ford Motor Co Kansas City) i.e. a cassette player as well as CD player. So I don't need any of that fancy Mp3 nonsense.

I would have also said Sheryl Crow's "Every Day is A Winding Road" (motoring allusion again) until I found out she works with the Dixie Chicks, whose record of behavior pre-Iraq speaks for itself. Blacklisted that one.

Better get out of here before I become a "Mark-ed" man once again. LOL.

Favourite Dylan LP for driving... "Blood on the Tracks"

Must confess to liking both Cheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks, but neither of them are as good as Mary Chapin-Carpenter or Lucinda Williams. Have you heard "Car wheels on a gravel road"?(another motoring link!) Great record.
Tracks for dodgy conditions?

Knock, knock, knocking on heavens door (Dylan)

Goodbye Earl (D.Chicks)
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - M.M
>>until I found out she works with the Dixie Chicks, whose record of behavior pre-Iraq speaks for itself. Blacklisted that one.

Cross that they spoke out against Bush.... or that they were required to tone down their stance once the "money men" got to them?

M.M
How about 'Six days on the road' by Taj Mahal? I've got it on vinyl somewhere, but I'll have to dig it out now!
Just remembered: Kathy Mattea's '455 Rocket' (an Oldsmobile, for those with shorter teeth than mine). This thread could go on a bit...
And anything from Bonnie Raitt's 'Nick of Time'
Ok I don't like anything else by this guy, but Chris Rea's Road to Hell is a good driving song. (motoring related too)

Long live The Boss...
HF
...and sinve hell has been mentioned, what could be more fitting than AC/DC and Highway To Hell on a Friday evening on the M25.......
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - hss41
To get back to the motoring theme, one of my choices will be Autobahn by Kraftwerk. If you are stuck in a traffic jam it has all the sound affects to give the impression that you are still summer cruising down the German autobahn

Hugh
Take these in sequence

Ready to Ride John Mayall

Start me up The Rolling Stones

Ride like the Wind Christopher Cross

Crash The Primitives

Knockin on heaven's door Bob Dylan
How about:

Silver Machine Hawkwind

Ian L.
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - pdc {P}
I've just turned 30, I listen to Radio 2 now because all those 'bangin beats' on radio 1 do my head in. I felt old until I read this thread ;-)

Any of you heard of Carter USM, Pop Will Eat Itself, Neds Atomic Dusbin? No? Neither have the youngsters of today. Am trapped in a 90's indie bubble!
Sorry can't help you there. The last decent rock record was made in about 1971......
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Dynamic Dave
The last decent rock record was made in about 1971......

Sorry G, have to disagree with you there. Dire Straits - Money for Nothing, 1985, IIRC.
DD, our records (no pun) do indicate a record such as you mention was indeed produced and issued. I believe free chicks were given away with it?
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Dynamic Dave
Growler,

I'll get back to you on that, I have some microwave ovens to shift right now ;o)
DD, how can you possibly nomonate this record? Dire Straigts first 2 LPs were brilliant, but by the time they made this they were nowhere near as good!
Carter USM? Aaaah, I remember seeing them in about 88/89 at ULU, they were supporting the Senseless Things.
By sheer coincidence, one of the cassettes I have in my car at present is the Goon Show - Ned's Atomic Dustbin!
(Now I can imagine you thinking... Goons? Carter? how old is this guy anyway?)
I certainly remember Pop will eat itself. A band I was in at Uni supported them once when they came to play the Union. Happy days!

I used to lug my guitar and amp about in an 850 Minivan. I loved that car, until it finally lost a brave battle against the tinworm.

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Oh yes. I'd like to see that one updated 25 years on!
Winding your way down on Baker Street"Have we been drinking, Sir?"
etc etc etc
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - Pat L
Some great music obviously being enjoyed by BRs.
My current favourite is a newish release:
Bent - The everlasting blink.
Anyone else heard this?

Pat
All this has inspired me to go thru my collection of proper music. Now here's one for you:

Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston and the Delta Cats.

Your starter for 10. What was a Rocket 88?
What was the real name of the band which made this record?
What was the year the record was made?
What is this record's often touted claim to fame by experts who know?
What label was it released on?
Who owned the record label (clue: he died a few days ago)
What did the owner do which changed the face of music for ever?
Who is the now superstar who was once married to the original bandleader?

I'll work with DAnJ somehow to set up a glass of the amber nectar on your Sept 7th meet for the first 5 correct answers.

Well, if I tell you here, everyone will know!

Even sorrier now that I won't be the meet, though...
"AT the meet" that should be.

Why do typos only appear when you hit the Send button?
>>Even sorrier now that I won't be the meet, though...

Whyfore art that, JBJ? Any valid excuse for not showing up? ;)
"valid excuse"

Getting off the Isle of Wight is an expensive business, unfortunately. I appreciate that it's not quite as bad (or far) as the Philippines, although I assume that Growler isn't going straight back!

Thanks for the enquiry, though, HF. If I can make it, I will (even though I got one of the questions wrong!).
my email is there for all to see: growler@37.com
Summer Cruisin' Music CD's - andymc {P}
Pop Will Eat Itself - I have "Dos Dedos Mi Amigo" plus another whose title escapes me floating around somewhere - on two sides of a cassette, of course. Haven't really listened to it since shortly after graduating in the mid-nineties (with over 500 CDs it starts to get difficult to keep up with them all, and the cassettes just gather dust these days), but I remember gems like "Ich bin ein Auslander" and something like "Familius Horribilis" (is that the right title?). Ah, student idealism.

Another throwback to my student days is Rage Against the Machine, which I dug out a few weeks ago and put on in the car. I have never travelled to work in such a short space of time! Not recommended if you want to keep your licence.
andymc