vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - zax
Hi everybody! Could somebody tell me how many litres of oil should I put in my 1.4tdi (3 cylinder) engine)?
Can you recommend a type of oil for this car?

Many thanks in advance!!
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - bertj
4.5 litres including oil filter. You MUST use an oil to Volkswagen specification VW 505.01. It can be got from a VW dealer at about £8.50 per litre (yes, £8.50 litre!). Millers make this oil as well at about £22 per 5 litres. Look at their web site at www.millersoils.co.uk/ for details and stockists.
Incidentally, why are you changing the oil yourself on this car? It should still be under the 3 year warranty. Be careful as VW may fail to honour the warranty if a dealer doesn't service it.
Thank you for advice. :) As I am located in Romania, I can tell you that the local VW dealer could not even provide me with an user manual. I went to their garage for oil change & stuff and I became suspicious because the oil level was low!! I asked them about this and they respond that 4 liters (!!) of oil is "normal capacity" of this engine... So I decided to get some more information... No I know what to do, thanks to you! :)
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - wemyss
Zax, As you can obviously read English I would look on a UK website and buy an Haynes manual specifically for your car.
They are not expensive and are very good.
The majority of people who work on these cars in the UK use their manuals.
Thay cost about £10.00 over here.
alvin
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - wd 40
Zax, As you can obviously read English I would look
on a UK website and buy an Haynes manual specifically for
your car.
They are not expensive and are very good.
The majority of people who work on these cars in the
UK use their manuals.
Thay cost about £10.00 over here.
alvin

I'd be interested in one of those Alvin - where do you get them from (as opposed to the haynes manuals that cost up to £16 +p&p from amazon and don't tell you half of what you need to know to do the job !!!)

vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - Gen
Try ebay for older cars for second hand manual. I have also noticed makro doing the haynes manuals for 9.99 plus vat i seem to remember. perhaps not anymore.
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - DavidHM
Plus VAT Gen? On a book? I'd have thought they'd be zero rated.

Anyway, there won't be a Haynes for a Polo 1.4 tdi PD yet because it's so new - the engine has only been available for three years and the last Haynes came out in 1999.

I'm sure there is a UK part number for the owners' manual though, and that should be available from a VW dealer over here.
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - bertj
zax
Obviously I didn't know you were in Romania! As David has said there isn't a Haynes manual for your car. The only Polo manual that Haynes publishes is for a very old Polo and does not refer to your car at all.
Whatever happens, as I have said before, you MUST use the correct VW 505.01 oil for the pdi engine in your car otherwise you could wreck the engine. I think Shell and other manufacturers produce this oil in Europe but I don't know whether it is available in Romania. There have been lots of postings on this forum about 505.01 oil. You could do a site search. You may have to buy the oil from a VW dealer - it might be cheaper than in the UK!
Best of luck.
My VW garage managed to guess the right oil for the engine... They gave me Shell VW 505.01 like u just wrote. I paid about 10 pounds/liter (!!!).
After I received your advice I went to them and bought another 1 liter of this oil and half of it is already in my engine..:) (they put only 4 liters).
My big problem was seeing I spent a lot of money on this car and the dealer are not prepared to mantain such car properly... Anyway, at least I know how much and what kind of oil I must use.
Regarding the user manual I'll try to obtain it from another local dealer or I'll make some photocopies from friends...
Thank you again. Best regards!
vw polo 1.4 tdi 2002 oil capacity - wemyss
Zax, It looks as if David is correct in Haynes not yet covering your car.
However if you look at their website it appears they are due to bring out a new one.
Incidentally their prices are higher buying direct from Haynes compared to accessory shops etc.
www.haynes.co.uk/index.asp
alvin