Volvo V40 - Dan G
I've always fancied a V40 diesel (not sure why). Only ever driven a petrol, and it was quite nice. I'm not after speed, just reliability, economy and comfort.

Any comments on the V40 diesel ?
Volvo V40 - Dan J
Are you looking to buy new or used?
Volvo V40 - M.M
A perfectly useable car but more Ford/Renault in feel/quality than BMW*.

*Or chose your own benchmark make for a perceived quality vehicle.

M.M
Volvo V40 - Dan G
Used. You can get some good deals on new, but it appears that they depreciate quite rapidly. One problem I expect is finding one without intergalactic mileage (at a sensible price)
Volvo V40 - Dan J
Reason I asked as if going for new I'd try to hang on as the replacement (estate prob not due now for another 12 months) is looking like it'll be a very nice motor.

People on here don't seem to keen on S/V40s but a family friend has a 2.0 estate and likes theirs.

Not sure the diesel engine is too hot though...

Have you tried the used Volvo search on the Volvocar website? It's pretty good and has cars going a good few years back on it.
Volvo V40 - SjB {P}
As countless posts here testify, I am a big Volvo fan, currently driving a V70 2.4T, but although I don't actively dislike the 40 range (S and V), I have never really warmed to them either. With some experience of V40 1.8, 2.0, and T4 variants, but not a diesel, my opinions for what they are worth are:

Pleasant to look at.

Very narrow cabin, just like a BMW Three Series.

Cramped in the back, just like a BMW Three Series!

Noisier at speed than the newer competition, unlike the current 60/70/80 models which are more refined than much of the competition. Hopefully the new Ford Focus based 50 range due in the not too distant future to replace the 40 will address that.

Tremendous (and then some) poke from the T4, though all models, this one included, just make a boring four cylinder boom when worked had. No cultured sound tracks to be had here.

1.8 and 2.0 models (not the 2.0T which is supposed to be the pick of the range, but which I have never driven) were surprisingly sluggish and torque-shy.

Colleagues with P and R platers had so many electrical gremlins that I lost count, though another colleague had an S plater that was totally reliable in every respect.

Handling of all models was predictable, though T4 was subject to too much torque-steer.

My only experience of the diesel is via a friend who test drove a V40 diesel after also trying some of the newer common rail machines from other manufacturers, and who then realized how far this technology has progressed. He concluded that the performance and economy of the V40 diesel was in the dark ages compared to a modern Pug or Renault, let alone something as upmarket as the Volvo's aspirations would have you compare with.

Horses for courses though, and we all expect different things from our cars, so good luck.
Volvo V40 - Morris Ox
I've always fancied a V40 diesel (not sure why). Only
ever driven a petrol, and it was quite nice. I'm
not after speed, just reliability, economy and comfort.
Any comments on the V40 diesel ?

Dan,

if having something up-to-date design-wise matters to you (and I don't just mean looks, but technology too) then give it a miss. The V40 is within an ace of being replaced and while it's got many admirable qualities it is well past its prime. Regardless of age, the diesel doesn't shine against its rivals in any way, shape or form.

So I'd look elsewhere.
Volvo V40 - Dan G
Thanks for all the feedback.

I guess I'll have to think of something else !
Volvo V40 - JAJ
I have driven a lot of these having owned one of the very early R plate T4s, used courtesy cars during service and frequent maintenance and rental cars.

I have to disagree with the handling comment. I moved to the S40 T4 from a 306GTi6 and thought it was dreadful. Nice in a straight line but show it a corner ... Fuel consumption was high and in the 14 months that I owned it (16k miles) it was ready for its 3rd set of front tyres. Suffered lots of electrical problems including an annoying one when the TC computer failed. Unfortunately it was linked to the ABS so every time you pulled away, the car's brain thought you were losing traction so it applied the brakes. Looked like a kangaroo at every set of lights until they fixed it. Was very fast though and definitely suprised the average 318i owner.

Found the diesels to be very noisy, slow and tractor like. Recently hired a V40 diesel in Spain and didn't seem to be much of an improvement in the engine bay.

On the + side, the car looks very smart. Seats are comfortable for long distances and the interior (to me at least) is smart, bright (i.e. avoids Vectra/BMW black) an big enough.

Having said all that would not buy another - V50 is basically a focus (same engine, drivetrain, chassis, etc.) with a Volvo badge and probably a 50% premium.
Volvo V40 - Dan J
Having said all that would not buy another - V50 is
basically a focus (same engine, drivetrain, chassis, etc.) with a Volvo
badge and probably a 50% premium.

Definitely not the same engine although it will highly likely become available with smaller Ford engines. Plan is to use Volvo's own initially. The new chassis will be class leading so the fact it is shared with the Focus is a bonus as opposed to a hindrance. I doubt the "premium" will be 50% but you'll be getting a more upmarket car with better options. The people who buy them will buy them for the same reason someone chooses an Audi A3 over a Golf.

S40 replacement, looking to still be called the S40 due early next year at current state, V50 later in the year.
Volvo V40 - Steve S
A 2 litre turbo is a nice car in SE trim. But the diesel is not - it's slow and noisy. The lesser petrol engines are not noisy but are dog slow.

T4 is a blast but needs good tyres on the front to get the 200 bhp down effectively. SE leather trim is a must.

As these posts have pointed out - this is now an old design.