1999 TDi - Electric Window failure - jcfaeecht
Had a problem with the driver side window mechanism failing and the glass falling inside the door on my 99 GT TDI. Luckily the glass didn't break. VW dealer managed to quote £160 to repair and said it was a common fault - seemingly the plastic clips which go up and down the 2 rails break.
Being an Aberdonion decided to tackle the job myself as the new "metal" clips and regulator mechanism only cost £28. 2 hours later all working fine and quite chuffed with myself.

Speaking to a guy whilst playing golf who said his 99 GTI 3 door had this problem with both windows, 1 repaired under warranty and the other cost 130 odd quid.

Is this problem really that common? obviously the dealers are doing ok out of this, perhaps this an engineered fault!

{made use of drop down menus that weren't previously available when post was first drafted}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/06/2009 at 14:52

VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - Aprilia
Funnily enought a fellow along my road had exactly this problem on Sunday - he was fiddling with the glass for quite a while.
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - trancer
No comment on engineered fault, but I have heard about this problem enough times that I would fully expect it to happen to me should I ever buy a Golf. Of course the usual applies here about happy owners being quietly content and unhappy ones making the most noise. That noise being what you will likely hear when you go looking for model specific faults.

That fault wouldn't stop me buying one though, I absolutely love that car, but not its high used market value.
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - shaun
This is a common fault, in the USA 850,000 golfs have been recalled to have the plastic clips replaced with metal ones. VW aren't recalling uk golfs as they say is doesn't require a recall!?! Where did you get your metal clips?
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - jcfaeecht
shaun

Had to buy the complete kit from vw dealer. Consists of the mechanism which attaches to the electric motor, cables and the 2 bits which attach to the glass. The parts which attach to the glass were metal with a plastic piece attached which held the ends of the cables - these 2 pieces are now one and made of metal which I am sure will do the business.

Great car but faults like these are a bit disapointing. Also had the rear caliper banjo washer (or seal) leaking due to dissimilar metal corrosion, again a common fault and car was only about 3 months out of warranty
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - sean
They are snap-off fittings designed to protect the motor when you try to lower frozen windows in winter.

Since most people had no problem with this, the replacements are steel.

Torque limiters apply with raising the window, so arms don't get trapped.

Full motor torque applies on lowering so we put break-off clips to stop motor seizure with drop glasses stuck in their channels.
I understand the use of breakoff clips for the reasons you mentioned, but is the current problem one of incorrect specification of the breakoff clips?. I have heard of these window problems in areas of the US that don't get anywhere near freezing temps even in the midst of winter, so what is causing them to break off?.
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - Aprilia
Well, the guy in my road had his fail at the weekend - certainly wasn't anywhere near freezing!
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - Baskerville
I also know someone this happened to quite recently. They also have the problem that when you open the driver's door the windscreen wipers start going. They don't stop until you put the key in the ignition but will continue to start and stop randomly (and I mean stop randomly, anywhere on the sweep) throughout the journey, whether it's raining or not--dangerous at times.
That wiper feature is obviously designed in to prevent snow or ice collecting on the screen...in the winter.
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - Baskerville
That wiper feature is obviously designed in to prevent snow or
ice collecting on the screen...in the winter.

You reckon? When they stop in the middle of the screen on the motorway in the rain it's not very helpful. Anyway it looks good when they stop in the "up" position: the Saxo boys go to great trouble to achieve that. Maybe one will fall off just to complete the effect.
I think I'd be appearing in "Judge Judy's" court, or wherever, if I said that we had wrongly specified something to an American audience.

Also probably looking for a new employer.

I could give you the textbook answer about continuous improvement, or you could just look again at what I wrote about most folks not having a problem, so steel is now the material of choice.
Sorry Sean, didn't realize you had that much at stake or I wouldn't have put the question to you like that. I was just curious about the situation as the Golf is one of the cars I am interested in.

I am feeling guilty about the wiper feature/winter comment now.8-/
trancer,

don't feel guilty.

VW GMBH know I come here. I want to help people. It is difficult in a litigious culture.

Most folks just want a bit of help. If I advise you to do something and you hurt yourself, I am partly to blame.

If I tell you I designed something wrongly, I'm to blame again.

How will I help you then?

You have no idea who visits here. There are not many forums like this. Use it wisely, my friend.
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - Malcolm_L
Sean,
reading your original reply, torque limiters apply on raising for obvious reasons.
Wouldn't it be simpler to use torque limiters on lowering as well? Using frangible clips doesn't seem to make sense, even for their designed purpose - if the glass is frozen, the clips are one-shot, a torque limit cut-off is infinite?

Surely this would have shown up in cold-weather testing, also the number of subsequent failures in temperate climates would indicate this is a design fault.
I don't understand VW's reluctance to issue a global recall, forget the litigious Americans - VW should put their hand up and recall all MK4's - for the sake of customer service and their good name.

Agree with your comments on this forum - it is a precious thing and should indeed be used wisely.

You are indeed testament to that - I hope VW GMBH continue to see the wisdom of allowing you respond in this manner.

Respect
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - one_eyed_king
It happened to my Golf and two colleagues had the same problem. All with the drivers side window (I guess its the most used).
In fact, in addition to this the mass air flow sensor failed and the temp. gauge packed up. The irritating thing is they all happened within a few weeks of each other and the car was just outside its warranty. Car never missed a beat in the first three years, bit suspect really. . .
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - AR-CoolC
Being in the trade I am, I see lots of Mk4 Golfs with this fault.

There is now a company that produces a "repair" piece.

Costs about 4Euro's

Compare that to the cost of a cassette for the door ( £130 or so )
Some dealers will say they know about the "issue" others deny knowing anything about it, "the glass replacement firm must have damaged it whilst replacing your glass" is the usual answer given to the Golf owner.

If you go into the Car-by-Car breakdown section this is given as a "look out for"

Sean
It is fantastic to see manufacturer staff visiting this site and helping us all, and I must say I'm quite supprised your bosses are fine with the situation ( unless you are the boss or course )

Thanks
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - tallman
It happened to my highly specced 4-Motion, local dealer responded to the repair as an entirely routine issue - clearly a regular occurence. I had no idea the fault is so widespread.... why don't VW change the clips at service?
VW Golf Mk4 Electric Windows - guydog
I have just experienced the same problem with my mk 4 GT TDI yesterday. I really refuse to pay £130 to get a MANUFACTURING FLAW fixed. Do you know where I can buy just the clips from? I have had a scour online but am struggling to find them.

Thanks