Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Anna Rew
Hello All,
Currently i have a VW polo & want to sell it to get a small crossover/suv.
Was thinking of Toyota chr, vw t cross, lexus ux, volvo xc40 (although abit big), mazda cx30, nissan qashkai.
And just do not know which one to choose from this list for it to be reliable.. i m a woman & do not understand much in cars.. it has to be auto, 2018-2019-2020, i do not drive much & only really locally. not big suv. Please help! Maybe some other pretty looking car options? Thank you in advance.
P.S. was thinking even about audi A1 (if wont find a good suv as almost polo size) but seems alot of money for such a small vehicle.

Edited by Anna Rew on 29/03/2021 at 23:10

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Ethan Edwards

Can I throw a outsider into your consideration. Suzuki Vitara 1.4 turbo Auto. Some like mine are AWD some are only 2wd. Larger than a Nissan Juke, smaller than a Quashqai. Comfy, well equipped, economical. Reliable built in Hungary. 4th Gen from 2015 onwards. Go test drive one. I think it'll tick your boxes.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - badbusdriver

As an auto,

Toyota C-HR, yes.

VW T-Cross, no.

Lexus UX, yes.

Volvo XC40, yes.

Mazda CX30, yes.

Nisan Qashqai, no.

Actually, the only one of the above I'd consider small is the VW T Cross, but with the DSG gearbox, I wouldn't be keen on an auto. Most reliable would be between the Toyota, Lexus and Mazda. Biggest is actually the Lexus, not the Volvo, though the Volvo looks 'bulkier' because of it's styling.

Based on what you've said, I think I'd probably go for the Toyota C-HR. Either the hybrid or 1.2 turbo would be fine.

Just noticed what you said re the Audi A1. You do get thing Called the A1 Citycarver (stupid name!), which is an A1 with raised suspension and some off road styling cues (extra plastic cladding). But as it is the same car under the skin as the T-Cross, I'd avoid the auto for the same reason.

Edited by badbusdriver on 30/03/2021 at 07:59

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - daveyjp

The CH-R because it will give no trouble. However get a good test drive in one including manouvering. It will have cameras etc, but I still prefer to see out of the rear quarter and in that regard it is atrocious.

I also found the interior very claustrophobic as the windows are small, the interior including roof lining was black and the rear windows were blacked out.

I'd also agree with the Suzuki as an option.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - daveyK_UK
Toyota CH-R

Also consider a Ford Puma
Thank you so much!
I like the look of puma but its ford maybe japanese suzuki is more reliable?
I have never had a ford before so do not know them at all.
I had a mazda, toyota, nissan, jag, vw so my knowledge is quite limited..
Thank you so much for your response.
That worries me too about it as i read alot it can feel suffocating.
i cannot wait to go & test drive it quite possibly it will not be my cup of tea at all.. who knows..
Now im looking more at suzuki as was recommended.
Thank you so much for your reply!
What do you think of Suzuki vitara as was recommended by one gentleman here?
Its a nice compact looking car.
Hello All,
I saw today Sean Arona, very nice looking!
What could you say about her?
What kind of engine to go for? What spec?
Thank you!
Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Engineer Andy

Be wary of any car (all VAGs) that has a dual clutch 'auto' gearbox - secondhand ones can often be offloaded because they are worn (on the way out) and will be expensive to fix, plus many are not suited to use in heavy traffic, as they will be 'slipping' their clutches a lot just like a car with a manual gearbox.

Hyundais and KIAs version of this gearbox is more reliable, VAG's 'wet' cluch versions next, then their 'dry' clutch versions (and those not overspecced enough to cope with the engine power), the Ford's (don't tocuh the Powershift dual clucth cars with a barge pole).

Cars with CVT (continuously variable transmission) and the older 'torque converter' (TC)auto boxes are generally much more reliable (Renault/Nissan CVTs are less so) but not as good on performance; the latter are not as good on mpg either, though they are improving.

The TC auto boxes are the smoothest to use under normal circumstances with mostly seemless gearchanges.

CVTs are fine at normal speed driving, but can get 'whiny' (the nature of the gearbox) when you give them a decent amount of throttle for overtaking, pull out from junctions in a hurry, etc.

Again, best to test drive a range of different ones to see what you like better/suits your usage pattern and pocket, not just to buy, but ongoing costs - reliability could be a factor going forward if the money is a bit tight - a big sudden repair bill (out of warranty) could mean the car has to be scrapped or sold for a big loss if you couldn't fund the repair.

Thank you so much i really liked it!
What is the best spec to go for bearing in mind i want an auto?
Thank you again!

Edited by Anna Rew on 30/03/2021 at 09:12

The spec has no bearing on the gearbox, it is the same regardless of which trim level. Though it has to be said, with some cars, you can only choose the auto on higher trim levels.

The Vitara is a good reliable car, and, like the VW T-Cross, it is actually quite small. But if you are happy with its looks and how it feels from behind the wheel, re visibility and comfort, I'd still go for the Toyota C-HR.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Steveieb

My partner put the CHR at the top of her list but again didn’t like the rear view from the drivers perspective.

But she settled for an old shape Captur BUT with the new 1.3 T engine which is shared with the A Class.

£15k ex demo with five years extended warranty and three years servicing and its remarkably been faultless . So I take back all my prejudices about Renaults !

Thank you so much for sharing and it was useful to know they can be reliable!
I m sorry but i just cannot stand french cars & have alot of prejudices about them.. only if i m totally desperate and have no choice at all it might be a renault..

Edited by Anna Rew on 30/03/2021 at 10:03

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - John F

Sorry to see your irrational prejudice against 'french' cars. I was going to suggest having a look at a Peugeot 2008 with its excellent Japanese (now there's grounds for prejudice among us oldies with memories of Brits enduring their far east atrocities) EAT6 gear box. We are very pleased with ours, and Peugeot always considered itself a cut above its compatriot competitors.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - skidpan

You can get a brand new Skoda Kamiq 1.0 TSi DSG for about £18000 OTR which is substantially less than a used VW would cost. Don't worry too much about what others say about DSG issues, OK there have been some but they were on older boxes and many of the cars had been thrashed and chipped to produce torque levels that wrecked the boxes. When you consider how many cars have been fitted with DSG it only fair to assume some will have issues. Even Toyota have issues on some cars.

We bought a Skoda with a DSG box back in October last year and I am not worried about reliability at all.

You can get a brand new Skoda Kamiq 1.0 TSi DSG for about £18000 OTR which is substantially less than a used VW would cost. Don't worry too much about what others say about DSG issues, OK there have been some but they were on older boxes and many of the cars had been thrashed and chipped to produce torque levels that wrecked the boxes. When you consider how many cars have been fitted with DSG it only fair to assume some will have issues. Even Toyota have issues on some cars.

We bought a Skoda with a DSG box back in October last year and I am not worried about reliability at all.

If the OP is buying new, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the reliability of the DSG, but I would if it was a used car. You just don't know how it has been driven.

However it isn't just the potential unreliability which puts me off, but the drivability too. Not too long ago a forum member reported on a test drive of a VW T-Cross with the 115bhp 1.0 and DSG. Said it was absolutely hopeless, with jerky changes delayed reactions and never seeming to know which gear it should be in. This behaviour (albeit to a lesser extent) is something I have read about in various magazines re (small, so maybe just realties to the dry clutch version) VAG cars using the DSG. The car driven by the forum member was new, so I suppose it might get better and 'settle down' over time along with familiarisation from the driver, but this, along with the potential for problems, means I just wouldn't bother.

If the OP is buying new, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the reliability of the DSG, but I would if it was a used car. You just don't know how it has been driven.

However it isn't just the potential unreliability which puts me off, but the drivability too. Not too long ago a forum member reported on a test drive of a VW T-Cross with the 115bhp 1.0 and DSG. Said it was absolutely hopeless, with jerky changes delayed reactions and never seeming to know which gear it should be in. This behaviour (albeit to a lesser extent) is something I have read about in various magazines re (small, so maybe just realties to the dry clutch version) VAG cars using the DSG. The car driven by the forum member was new, so I suppose it might get better and 'settle down' over time along with familiarisation from the driver, but this, along with the potential for problems, means I just wouldn't bother.

Might have been me you are referring to. Drove a brand new Superb 1.5 DSG that was totally dumb but a 3000 mile old Passat 1.5 DSG was better (but still not perfect. Neither was jerky, just a bit slow witted.

But surely we can only give the OP ideas and suggest they take a drive. If they like it they could continue investigating a purchase, if they don they will look elsewhere.

Fortunately I have enough common to be able to make my own short list of suitable cars and then test drive them, just like I did pre internet except then I had to go round getting brochures, now I download them.

I am also able to know what I like and what I don't. Tried plenty of cars that others worship on here but in my world I would not have one even if I was paid (Avenis 1.8 Estate springs to mind - dreadful thing).

Thank you so much i really liked it! What is the best spec to go for bearing in mind i want an auto? Thank you again!

I see you added the Mazda CX-30. You may want to add the (now out of production from 2019) smaller CX-3 to the list - just as nice looking, but smaller inside, and available in auto form from the base SE spec (which isn't that bad) through SE-L (Nav) - the best value spec, up to Sport (firmer ride on bigger wheels/ low profile tyres but looks the best).

Don't bother with the diesels, which can be trouble, but the 2.0L petrol engine is reliable, not quick , but nice, and the auto gearbox smooth and reliable.

The newer CX-30 (from late 2019) is very good, more roomy inside and shares the excellent styling cues of the current Mazda3/CX-5 inside and out. The CX-3 is based on the current Mazda2 but is in-between, size-wise, that and the Mazda3.

The boot of the CX-3 is about the same as the Mazda3 hatch except for the Sport models, where its boot is reduced in size due to extra in-car entertainment in the underboot area.

The CX-30 will be a lot more expensive, even when using the 'same' (later variant) of the standard 2L petrol engine, even more so when fitted with the more powerful 'Skyactiv-X' engine.

If you are happy with the size/boot space of the CX-3 and prefer a nice ride quality over 'more sportiness', I'd go for a CX-3 in SE-L Nav Auto form on 16in tyres. The CX-30 in Skyactiv-X SE-Lux form is better, but will likely cost (even for second hand versions) about £5k - £8k more than the CX-3.

Both cars are very nice cars to drive.

I'll leave others to comment on the other cars/theirs suggested - it's just that I own a Mazda3 (not the latest one though) but have test driven the CX-3 I spoke of in auto form and thought it very nice indeed - if a bit expensive (new) back then (in 2017).

As it's a discontinued model (it's still sold abroad and parts will be available for at least 10 years), you may find the second hand prices more reasonable now. The HJ site has some via its search service here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/search/

You may also find some nearly new (showroom or test drive cars) or pre-registered deals available from some main dealers, as the latest regs change was only on 1st March.

Always get a test drive on a variety of road types/speeds, and make sure you get the seating/steering wheel position adjusted sufficiently so you can get the best out of it.

Thank you so much it is a lovely looking car & for a good money too! Shame it is discontinued though as it can be a struggle to find parts & therefore they can go up in price otherwise great looking auto!
Thank you so much it is a lovely looking car & for a good money too! Shame it is discontinued though as it can be a struggle to find parts & therefore they can go up in price otherwise great looking auto!

It was only discontinued (new sales) in 2019, and the law states that parts MUST be available from the manufacturer for 10 years after it goes out of production, noting that this car is still made - just not sold in the UK.

My gen-1 Mazda3 (built in late 2005) went out of production in 2009, but I've had no problems obtaining OEM parts from my local main dealer.

Nothing to worry about, especially as many of the internal bits of the CX-3 are shared with the Mazda2, which is still in production today.

Given that it is smaller than the other cars you've been considering and nearer to the Polo's size (still bigger), it's well worth a look.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - mcb100

That's quite a sweep of cars to be irrationally prejudiced against - everything from a Citroen C1 (actually built in Czech Republic) to a Bugatti Chiron.

I m sorry but i just cannot stand french cars & have alot of prejudices about them.. only if i m totally desperate and have no choice at all it might be a renault..

I am now very curious to learn what is behind this irrational hatred of all French cars?!.

These bumper stickers on eBay say it all badbus

tinyurl.com/wurjf98u

[I've made the link Tiny so it doesn't mess up the screen width - Xileno, moderator]

Edited by Xileno on 30/03/2021 at 14:05

Might have been me you are referring to. Drove a brand new Superb 1.5 DSG that was totally dumb but a 3000 mile old Passat 1.5 DSG was better (but still not perfect. Neither was jerky, just a bit slow witted.

No, it wasn't you, and it was definitely a T-Cross 1.0.

Not 100% sure, but I think it might have been Thunderbird (who hasn't been on of late).

These bumper stickers on eBay say it all badbus

tinyurl.com/wurjf98u

Yes, well..........!

But there is a certain irony in the fact that one of the OP's own choices is French in all but name!.

Hello and thank you all for the precious replies!
About french cars - i do not like interface at all its like 3 different people were putting it together and none of them talked to each other! Only my opinion no offence.
Thank you all again!
Thank you & sorry it is only my opinion i love British, german & japanese cars because they look nice & at the same time very reliable.
Italian cars for example do look very nice but i cannot say they are very reliable.
Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - concrete

HJ praises the Suzuki range for value and reliability and pleasure of ownership. Worth checking out as he does know a thing or two.

Cheers Concrete

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Lee Power

Toyota C-HR with the 2 litre hybrid power unit.

No turbo, no timing belt, no alternator, no starter motor & no clutch to worry about - 2 litre has a mani cat, uses a timing chain plus has direct fuel injection with a clever cylinder head design where the inlet valves won't coke up BUT Toyota then went belt & braces & fitted indirect injection as well to help keep them clean to.

Apart from the occasional 12 volt battery going flat due to lack of use there are very few complaints about C-HR over on the owners forum.

The Lexus UX is basically the same car, slightly wider, less boot space, posher badge but shorter manufacturers warranty.

No, it wasn't you, and it was definitely a T-Cross 1.0.

If it was a T-Cross definitely not me, never looked at one, look hideous inside. Don't really like SUV's and cross overs, fashion accessories at best.

Compare a Kamiq (better looking!! and better value) to a slightly larger but less "stylish" Scala.

Scala 1.0 TSi DSG SE £15900 OTR

Kamiq1.0 TSi DSG SE £18040OTR

Which would I buy?

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Rerepo

Toyota hybrid. Just about the most reliable machine on the planet!

Thank you! Cannot wait to test drive it!
Thank you for your advice!
So hard to find a 2 l one (2019 reg)
Do you have any preferences - excel or dynamic?
And if it is 1.8 l hybrid will it be a problem?
Thank you yes i m going to test drive it!
Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - sammy1

Toyota hybrid. Just about the most reliable machine on the planet!

Did you make this up or pinch it from Volkswagen?

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Metropolis.
Unlike with Volkswagen, this really is true with Toyotas.
Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - sammy1

Unlike with Volkswagen, this really is true with Toyotas.

Maybe but they haven't got Paula Hamilton in their garage!

Always remember your advice on My Corolla problem Metropolis.

Brilliant and dead right.

Do you work at a Toyota garage ?

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Metropolis.
I am so glad that worked Steveieb!! Sometimes it is the simplest of things.
I had actually missed your follow up reply on the other thread until seeing your post here.

No I dont work at a Toyota dealer or even anything to do with cars, wish I did..
We have a Lexus in the family and I have been absolutely amazed at the customer service from the Toyota garage who often dont even charge for very small items like key batteries, the reasonably servicing costs and also the fact they were confident enough to offer a mk1 LS400 for sale as approved used recently. I am close to being converted, close but not there yet!

For anyone wondering this was in reference to the juddering wiper thread, fixed by using genuine Toyota wipers not Bosch!

Sorry to the current OP for the distraction which I have indulged in. Returning to your question, you are unlikely to go wrong with a C-HR, try to get Toyota approved used and keep it serviced at Toyota, the extendable warranties are very good too. Dammit, I can see why Steveieb thinks I work for a dealer!
Thank you so much for your response!
Would you recommend Lexus UX (the smallest suv)
Over Toyota CHR? I sat today in one didnt test drive it though - the back screen is really tiny! I know she has cameras but still its so small.. does lexus better in this part?
Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - Lee Power

The Lexus UX is wider, has a smaller boot, the infotainment system is worse, has a shorter manufacturers warranty & costs more.

The C-HR is a better overall package especially with the 2 litre hybrid power unit.

Unless you really must have a Lexus badge, I wouldn't bother.

Thats a good one!
I know there are differences in Chr 2019 and 2020. Which one would you recommend? Thank you!
Thats a good one! I know there are differences in Chr 2019 and 2020. Which one would you recommend? Thank you!

If you can afford a newer car, go for that, if not, I wouldn't be overly concerned, they are all reliable.

As far as I an aware, the main difference from when the C-HR first came out and now is that now there is no standard petrol option, you can only buy a hybrid (which also means no manual gearbox). Also, you now have the option of the more powerful 2.0 hybrid as well as the existing 1.8 hybrid. But unless you are a fast driver and spend a lot of time on main roads, I wouldn't be to concerned about not being able to stretch funds enough for the 2.0.

Cheapest 2.0 hybrid on Autotrader is £22.5k, cheapest 1.8 hybrid (2018) is under £13k.

Thank you for your fast reply, all noted! I think they were saying something about apple i am not so sure what they meant though does it mean if i take 2019 i wont be able to connect my apple phone?
Thank you for your fast reply, all noted! I think they were saying something about apple i am not so sure what they meant though does it mean if i take 2019 i wont be able to connect my apple phone?

Ah, well that is going to be Apple Car Play.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a luddite, so I can't say for sure if you can or can't connect your phone to the infotainment system on the older car.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - RichT54

Ah, well that is going to be Apple Car Play.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a luddite, so I can't say for sure if you can or can't connect your phone to the infotainment system on the older car.

I have a 2017 C-HR 1.2T Auto. The early models don't support Apple Car Play or Android Auto, however the current supports both.

Thank you for your reply! As i got it it is about apple music (not a phone use) so i guess it wont bother me as i am an old school and do not listen to music using my phone. Good old radio will do!

Thank you so much for your response!
Would you recommend Lexus UX (the smallest suv)

Over Toyota CHR? I sat today in one didnt test drive it though - the back screen is really tiny! I know she has cameras but still its so small.. does lexus better in this part?

Sadly, such is the way of the current trends, car styling takes total precedence over things like whether or not you can see out of the car properly. The C-HR does take that to an extreme, but you will struggle to find anything in the small SUV/crossover class with nice big windows. I can actually think of at least one (which also has Apple CarPlay), but you hate French cars so.........!

Maybe have a look at the Suzuki Vitara mentioned earlier, it does have decent all round visibility, and I'm pretty sure will have Apple CarPlay.

As for reliability, not sure where you are getting your info from, but on the 2020 What Car reliability survey, as a brand (as opposed to specific cars) Citroen (French) is placed above VW, Audi, Porsche and Mercedes (all German). Landrover (British) is at the very bottom. Granted, on that same survey, Renault was second from the bottom, but Peugeot (also French) was above Mercedes.

Any good ones - Small SUV/Crossover auto transmission? - elekie&a/c doctor

My wife runs a Vitara. It's surprisingly good .It is the current shape ,but not the latest model. A willing 1.6 petrol engine with a 5 speed box. It has good all round visibility due to having proper size windows ,not port holes like a lot of others. Fitted with nav and all the car play tech and a reversing camera. Regularly does 40 mpg+ with mixed driving. If you like old school, this could be for you . It has a proper metal ignition key ,a manual handbrake and even a little lever by the driver foot to open the petrol flap. I've added a spare wheel kit (plenty of room for one) ,as it only comes with a can of goo and pump.

you will struggle to find anything in the small SUV/crossover class with nice big windows.

Maybe have a look at the...

......Peugeot 2008.....as I mentioned above.

it does have decent all round visibility....

.......and our 'allure premium' has a rather snazzy panoramic roof which brightens it up no end. You can't open it so it's unlikely to leak.

As for reliability.........Peugeot... was above Mercedes.

Thank you :))) i ll have a look!
Thank you :))) i ll have a look!

And thanks to the design not having to accommodate four wheel drive, the rear loading sill is below (my) knee cap height with no lip - (an essential criterion for Mrs F and her shopping) and there is a spare wheel under the floor instead of space for rear differential and drive shafts and a useless can of puncture repair gunk.

Thank you so much for your feedback!
For now my list is narrowed down to:
Toyota Chr excel 1.8 or 2 liter
Suzuki Vitara
Ford puma
Seat Arona
Thank you so much for your feedback! For now my list is narrowed down to: Toyota Chr excel 1.8 or 2 liter Suzuki Vitara Ford puma Seat Arona

The Seat Arona is the mechanical twin of the VW T-Cross, same DSG gearbox, so same potential issues. Up to you, but I wouldn’t.

Thank you so much i noted!