EV journey - barney100

This summer new lockdown not withstanding we are off from Basingstoke to Oban, 500 miles give or take. 3 adults, medium sized dog and relevant luggage and gear. If I used an EV how would it pan out? Need 2 charges after leaving I reckon. So cost would be merely 3 charges but how long is it going to take? The old V70 would make Scotland easily on a tankful, top up round Glasgow and Roberts your relative.

EV journey - Wee Willie Winkie

Right. Assuming a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range +, leaving with 100% charge.

First stop at Hilton Park superchargers. 18%-60% 13 minutes

Next stop at Charnock Richard superchargers. 10%-79% 25 minutes.

Next stop at Gretna Green superchargers. 10%-43% 8 mins

Next stop at Abington superchargers. 10%-88% 32 mins.

Arrive in Oban with 10% left.

EV journey - badbusdriver

Right. Assuming a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range +, leaving with 100% charge.

Next stop at Charnock Richard superchargers. 10%-79% 25 minutes.

Next stop at Gretna Green superchargers. 10%-43% 8 mins

Arrive in Oban with 10% left.

That is very detailed DieselBoy, is that from a Tesla app?. Also, I'm assuming you can charge in Oban?!.

But the key question here is what EV you have, or plan to have?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/03/2021 at 16:47

An app called ABRP (A Better Route Planner) is what I used. Looking at Zap Map, there are a number of rapid and fast chargers around Oban. All currently free through Chargeplace Scotland.

I wouldn't like to do that journey in any EV other than a Tesla. Relying on motorway chargers such as Ecotricity would be 'interesting' and a lot slower.

We'll be (hopefully) travelling from Liverpool to south Ayrshre in August. Just the one charge required en route.

EV journey - mcb100
I’ve not had to use it, but ABRP is the best planner for EV’s.
You tell it what car you’ve got, the state of charge when commencing the journey, driving styles, etc and it will produce a detailed plan as above.
EV journey - sammy1

Major hold up half way to Oban, had to walk the last few miles! So that's what modern motoring is about, orienteering between charging points, seems like a lot of fun in theory.

I'll do a journey of, say, greater than 200 miles, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. My day today motoring involves waking up with a 'full tank' every morning. No orienteering here.

EV journey - skidpan

Recently on another website there was a similar discussion to this. The poster claimed that the 800 mile round trip he had made to Scotland was only 45 minutes longer in the EV than a petrol car.

To me its seemed to be way out and I used a Kia Niro as an example to calculate the approx. journey time for our twice a year 430 mile drive to the lodge.

The Niro has an official range of 280 miles. That is always going to be probably 20% high so 224 miles and since its mostly motorway its probably going to be 200 at best. That means we would need 2 stops to charge on route. Kia quote 1 hr 15 minutes for an 80% charge (so probably really 160 miles for the on route charges) thus add 2 hours 30 to the journey. we have 3 15 minute comfort breaks at present total 45 minutes thus 1 hour 45 longer, very different the 45 minutes quoted by the poster.

Then there is the issue of actually finding a charger, when I looked on the web at one of the likely services they only had one type 2 charger and that had been out of order for a week, looked at the next services, there were 2 charging points but status unknown, gave up.

It was worse when I checked on availability at the lodge. 8 points (that's not sites, its actual plugs) within a 20 mile radius and little info on any. We would be spending 1/2 the holiday looking for a place to charge at this rate.

Looked like it does not work for us, but I already knew this, its why we bought the PHEV.

You highlight there the reason the Supercharger network is a big draw in steering people toward Teslas. Reliable and numerous chargers that are extremely quick.

The holiday cottage we are staying in has a 7kw charger, so no hunting around the area for chargers.

EV journey - 2010Jagman

I regularly drive a 300 mile journey in a Tesla model S 90D, previous car was an XF diesel which could do the trip easily.

I find it no more hassle to do the trip in the Tesla, need 1 charge each way for 25-30mins or so, - tend to plan to charge when I stop for lunch.

Dont think I would like to try it in a non Tesla EV, the infastructure just isnt there, really makes you appreciate the supercharger network where you just drive up and plug in, no messing about with apps or RF ID cards.

Do find that my driving style has become much more relaxed with the Tesla compared to the Jag, its very noticable how much extra power is used above 68-70 mph.

EV journey - misar

Wonder if the move towards an EV monopoly might tempt the railways to bring back overnight car shuttles on popular holiday routes. They could even provide onboard charging points so that both driver and car arrive refreshed and ready to go.

EV journey - Xileno

There are a couple of excellent Harry's Garage videos where he compares the I-Pace with the Model 3. Both excellent cars but the bespoke charging network that the Tesla uses puts it leagues ahead in terms of usability.

EV journey - barney100

Just had a look at Tesla prices, around 45k. apps 4 times more Than the pension.

EV journey - brum

Just had a look at Tesla prices, around 45k. apps 4 times more Than the pension.

I do think Barney isnt really serious about taking an EV on his 1000+ mile holiday.

Here's a sensible alternative plan.

Hire a large estate/SUV/MPV for the duration of the holiday.

Refill with fuel as required (probably twice in total for the entire holiday), less than 90 seconds refuelling each time. (If we are comparing like with like, its the time taken to pour a maximum of 60 litres of fuel once the nozzle is inserted, approx 50litre per minute for UK pumps). Thousands of refuelling places to chose from, no queues likely, pumps highly likely to be working. No Apps/membership/special accounts or cards required.

Return the car.

EV journey - Stackman II

Have a vision of manufacturers supplying a portable booster battery so that if you run out of charge you can hitch a ride to the nearest charger, battery in hand, to charge it up and hitch back to your car.

Something about the size of a 5 litre petrol can perhaps ?

EV journey - pd

If any of us are still around in 20 years time I guess the position will reverse.

As ICE cars disappear the market for fuel stations will go and ones in remote locations will be even less viable. So any of us who do have a ICE car will have to plan journeys carefully because there won't be fuel stations.......

Not yet though!

EV journey - barney100

It was indeed a hypothetical question. I have no desire to pay out for an EV. A Tesla would be perhaps the only viable EV for long journeys at the moment but a state pension won't cover the cost of buying one. Hopefully EVs will get longer and longer range and come down in price but 2030 ain't that long away.

EV journey - Terry W

Tesla unquestionably gained a commpetitive advantage in providing fast chargers - it is that which has made the brand a success.

Other EV manufacturers must be very aware of the benefits of the Tesla charging network and speed of charging.

So how long will it be before other manufacturers either try to emulate Tesla, or more likely agree a desperately needed consistent fast charging network.

It's not really any different to computers - Apple went their own way with a unique system, everyone else used Windows.

EV journey - alan1302

So how long will it be before other manufacturers either try to emulate Tesla, or more likely agree a desperately needed consistent fast charging network.

We need all cars makes to have an agreed standard - sooner, rather than later so we don't end up with loads of different standards.

EV journey - Steveieb

So now the British army are considering ordering EV military hardware including tanks !

Difficult to explain how polluting the air in enemy territory can compare with the havoc caused by the hardware !

EV journey - movilogo

What happens when you arrive and all chargers are occupied by other cars and worse, some cars are already in queue in front of you as well.

So waiting times go up then?

EV journey - brum

Even worse in the future if there's a couple of tanks in front of you.

Seriously, you need to also factor in another 10 minutes faffing around with connecting/disconnecting cables, apps, cards, phoning them to start the charger.

Then you have the wallies that have gone off for lunch with their car blockimg the charger.

If 2 cars are sharing a charger, the charging rate is halved.

If all chargers are occupied and charging there might also be a reduction in charging rate limited by the sites power feed

No need to factor in 10 minutes faffing at Tesla superchargers. Shove the plug in the socket and that's that. The newer ones don't share power, either - so no reduction in charge speed. Even the free Podpoint I use occasionally at the local Tesco doesn't seem to share power.

Yes, there is a chance of a queue at busier locations; I suppose provision of charging points will need to increase relative to the increase in EV take up. Looking at the Tesla Supercharger map, there's a number of supercharger sites opening in 2021/22.

EV journey - Sulphur Man

We're looking at EV ownership - solely an EV.

There will be odd ocassions when we would plan to drive more than 250 miles, but very ocassional.

For that reason, our EV decision is not governed by the overall range of the car we may buy. No point spending a lot on an Tesla or Audi or Jaguar.

It is governed by easy access to a rented ICE car if and when needed. There are a few companies within short driving distances to rent ICE cars, for around £40 a day for an estate.

Cheaper than the running costs of two cars in the household. I'd estimate we rent an ICE car for no more than 2 weeks annually - tops. Cost £500 maximum (before fuel).

Edited by Sulphur Man on 31/03/2021 at 13:18