New member wants new car budget £20k - Plantop

Hi all,first time poster but have followed this forum for many years,l am in need of some advice please. I am looking to purchase a new car,just me and the wife avg 3000mls per year mainly urban with an occasional run up north. Have had my present car for nearly 14yrs from new ,Renault Modus 1.2 tce which has been great but fancy a new hybrid and am thinking of a new Yaris or would l be better with a standard petrol? Thanks for any advice budget is around £20000.00 thanks for any help.

[edited to put correct budget in & made subject more specific if people are using the search facility]

Edited by Xileno on 28/03/2021 at 08:03

New member - badbusdriver

Surely that budget is a mistake?, unless it is a deposit for a PCP/personal lease deal?.

New member - catsdad
Welcome. Is your budget of £2000 a typo?
New member - Plantop

Sorry, it was a typo! l meant 20 thousand

New member - Xileno

I was going to suggest the Captur as you've had good service from your Renault but was surprised how expensive they are, well out of your budget.

Edited by Xileno on 27/03/2021 at 17:47

New member - Plantop

Hi,l had considered the captur but my local dealer has changed ownership and seem totally disinterested in my enquiries! I did try the new jazz before lockdown but found it very raucous when accelerating which did put me off.

For that tiny mileage I'd bypass the hybrid and go straight to electric, certainly if you have off street parking. £20k is enough to get a brand new Seat Mii electric (160 mile range), or a 2020 Renault Zoe 40kWh (235 mile range).

If you don't have off street parking, I'm not sure how much advantage there would be in getting a (self charge) hybrid over a smallish efficient ICE. But if you really want a hybrid (and I do get the appeal), I'd be going for a new Jazz. It has a much more spacious interior and boot than the new Yaris and can be had from under £17k new.

New member - Plantop

Thanks for your advice and have not completely disregarded the jazz,will a hybrid battery still be ok if l only used the car once a week for a short journey?

Thanks for your advice and have not completely disregarded the jazz,will a hybrid battery still be ok if l only used the car once a week for a short journey?

Given your 'occasional run up north', I don't think you'd have too much to worry about, and bear in mind, with the Jazz and Yaris, you'd be in a new car with the protection of a new car warranty.

But, being purely objective, it would be more sensible financially, to get a small efficient petrol. Yes, a hybrid will use less fuel, but the savings you'd make in fuel would take years to make up over the extra purchase price.

There is of course, plug in hybrids, but they are not, as far as I am aware, available on smaller cars. And you'd still need off street parking (i.e, your own charger) to make it worthwhile.

New member - Plantop

Thanks for the advice it is all greatly appreciated, are there any small petrol cars that l should especially be looking at ? , my needs are reliability and not over expensive to run as l reach retirement age next year!

The new Dacia Sandero seems to offer a great deal for the money. £20k would be enough to get the top of the range model and have about £7k left over for whatever you fancy!.

TBH, there aren't really that many 'bad' cars. A new Kia will have a 7 year warranty for peace of mind, so you could look at either the Picanto or Rio depending on just how small you want to go.

Toyota's and Honda's are generally the most reliable brands, but you don't get a non hybrid Yaris or Jazz.

New member - Falkirk Bairn

1 year old "OLD model" petrol with under 1,000 miles, some under 100 miles for £12 to £15K screen price.

At roughly £20K for a band new Hybrid model there is a strong argument for the old model - not so economical but you can buy mega litres of fuel for the up to £8K price difference.

New member - sammy1

Your maths of £20000.00 reads OK to me! The sensible buy would be petrol anything up to a year old, why take the depreciation hit of a new car unless you can get a very good discount You are in a very good position see what value you can get on Autotrader for a low mileage car. Suggest you can do a lot better than a Dacia for your money A Mini Audi A1 or VW golf can be had for this sort of budget. Also look at Hyundai and Kia for long warranties

New member wants new car budget £20k - JonestHon

20k £ or miles, you can get into a two years old Corolla Hybrid with the 122PS engine.

Bigger and better than the Yaris in almost every way. I own a Yaris and when I take it to service at the main dealer I usually get a courtesy Hybrid Corolla of the current crop, I find the sitting and acceleration is jolly nice.

Comfortable and will probably last well (if long lasting is a criteria), what's not to like.

New member wants new car budget £20k - John F

My advice is to be aware of the fact that with such a low annual mileage, the depreciation cost per mile will vastly exceed your fuel cost per mile, even if it only does 20mpg. From a financial point of view it would make no sense at all to buy a new or nearly new car. Not only that, you will be tied into an unnecessary annual 'service' , probably costing at least £200, just to keep any warranty valid.

But if that is what you fancy, go ahead. Head v heart.

New member wants new car budget £20k - skidpan

Consider the Skoda Scala, it would be my choice with your budget. Looking on the CarFile.net site (my preferred broker - bought 4 cars from them) you can get a 95 PS "S" model; for £13,000 OTR or if you want to blow the whole £20k a 1.5 TSi Monte Carlo for £19,250 OTR. Prices after £2250 Skoda finance contribution, pay off within 2 weeks and keep the £2250, its perfectly legal, done it 3 times now and saved about £7000.

Its a Golf sized car (with a bigger boot) and whilst not a Hybrid the 1.0 TSi 110 PS (my engine choice - like we have in the Fabia) can almost achieve Hybrid mpg figures without effort, ours has averaged almost 50 mpg over the 3 years we have owned it. Doing only 3,000 miles a year you are not really going to benefit from a hybrid, even if your chosen car averaged 60 mpg you would only save £50 a year.

But look at the Skoda Fabia as well if you think a Golf sized car is too big for your needs. Its about the same size as a Yaris and a 1.0 TSi 95 PS can be had from Carfile.net for £12,000 after finance contribution.

Edited by skidpan on 28/03/2021 at 10:23

New member wants new car budget £20k - badbusdriver

20k £ or miles, you can get into a two years old Corolla Hybrid with the 122PS engine.

Bigger and better than the Yaris in almost every way.

Not if you don't want a car as big as a Corolla, which seems to be the case with the OP.

I usually get a courtesy Hybrid Corolla of the current crop, I find the sitting and acceleration is jolly nice.

Also, just to be clear, the new Yaris hybrid does 0-60 in 9.7 seconds, the Corolla 1.8 hybrid takes 10.9 seconds.

New member wants new car budget £20k - Plantop

Thanks for all the advice,head v heart is very true,l would love to throw caution to the wind and buy a decent high seating crossover but with retirement looming l do worry about the costs of running a bigger car. Personally l hate the rigmarole of buying a car and the attitude in some of the dealers makes me wonder if they are really in the right job!

New member wants new car budget £20k - skidpan

Personally l hate the rigmarole of buying a car and the attitude in some of the dealers makes me wonder if they are really in the right job!

Years ago I used to love the "sport" of visiting loads of dealers in an attempt to get the best deal but the nonsense spouted but many just made me realise that most were idiots (or crooks) that did not deserve my money. Then I tried Carfile.net back in 2013 after a dreadful experience trying to do a deal on a Seat Leon. E-mailed them Saturday pm (after finally giving up on the dealers), received a phone call from the broker (Jonathan) about 9.30 Monday, dealer rank before 10.00 to inform me he had exactly the stock car we wanted and he took details of my PX. Rang back at lunchtime with an offer which was about £3000 less than the local dealers wanted. Gave them a CC deposit over the phone, collected the car Friday am and paid finance off within the week. No hassle, no nonsense, no pressure. Had car serviced at our local dealer (one of those who failed to do a deal) and had no issues, in truth their service department was very good.

New member wants new car budget £20k - John F

Thanks for all the advice,head v heart is very true,l would love to throw caution to the wind and buy a decent high seating crossover but with retirement looming l do worry about the costs of running a bigger car.

We are very happy with Mrs F's Peugeot 2008 1.2 puretech auto, which is only slightly bigger than the cars you mention. It now has a reliable powertrain, the Aisin EAT6 box is excellent, and there appear to be lots of two year old bargains to be had with minimal mileage, as they have just brought out a new model. £12,000 should buy you a good one (ours, new in Oct 2019, has just depreciated by nearly £5000...gulp!) and at your annual mileage it'll be ten years old before you get around a mere 50,000 miles on the clock.

But running a big car need not be more expensive if you choose wisely. If they are at the top of the range, it is likely that the manufacturer will have built it carefully with first class materials and labour. Like you, my car only does around 3000 miles a year, so seven years ago, with retirement approaching, I paid £12,000 for an eight year old Audi A8. It is now fifteen years old, and beyond oil, water, tyres and some front brake pads, the only garage costs have been sway bar drop links, and £225 for the air suspension compressor repair. (Had I been able to remove the front bumper myself, it would only have been £25! )

New member wants new car budget £20k - barney100

Standard petrol, purchase price difference twixt ICE and EV is large.

New member wants new car budget £20k - chris87
For that koney, you can almost any “regular” car after negotiating. Depending what you’re going for, you could look at brand new, even if list price is in the high £20ks...

But like others said, a petrol engine is what you want here.