Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Rojer
Someone reversed into me (yes the S-Class got squished already!) and admitted liability. Currently being sorted out. But will my premiun increase if I'm not at fault? I checked with NU Direct and they *said* it wouldn't.

Confused.

rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - PR {P}
As long as your insurance company recovers all the costs, then your policy should nt go up. The same thing happened to my brother, someone ran into him, all their fault, the insurance company successfully claimed all the money and his policy was fine.(as was his renewal)
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Rojer
I made life easier .. I inisted that the other parties insurer pays for everything in the first instance. I don't want to chase my own money!

rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Big Vern
In my experiance Yes, in N.Ireland some companies may even refuse to quote! Try yourself using an online quote engine to get a quote with no acidents then click back and put in a settled no fault claim with excess returned and see if you get an increse. If you find one that doesn't let me know!! I cannot wait until 2005 as I am also fed up having to explain what happened when getting quotes!

Graham
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Colin M
I always understood that if you have a bells and whistles comp policy that sorts everything out immediately whilst it then chases the third party for the money, then you have "benefited" from the policy and made a claim even though it wasn't your fault. I thought that's why they called it "no claims bonus" not "no blame bonus".

Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Colin M
I always understood that if you have a bells and whistles comp policy that sorts everything out immediately whilst it then chases the third party for the money, then you have "benefited" from the policy and made a claim even though it wasn't your fault. I thought that's why they called it "no claims bonus" not "no blame bonus".

Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - Robert J.
Colin, can you provide any more details to your post ? I thought the benefit of a fully comp. policy was that you would be ok if you happen to be hit by a uninsured driver or someone who clears off without giving any details. Also, if your premium does go up after an accident that was not your fault, what happened to the principle that you should be put back into the position you were in immediately before the accident ?
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - DavidHM
Colin is right, up to a point - your premium is not guaranteed to remain the same, even if the accident you are involved in is not your fault.

However, you don't automatically lose your NCB as the claim is actually settled against the other driver or his or her policy. If it is not your fault, but the other driver cannot be identified, the claim may cost you your NCB (at your insurer's discretion) and even with a protected NCB your premium is likely to increase.

However, the benefit of a fully comprehensive policy is not that you don't lose your NCB if it's not your fault, but that you can claim for damage to your own car that is your fault, or where no other person can be identified to take the blame.
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - DavidHM
There may be a small difference in premium but most of the time it will be negligible, unless of course you actually had to claim off the insurer. Theoretically you might be more likely to claim because you drive in areas where accidents have been shown to happen, although this risk is so marginal some companies won't even bother.

Just quoted, randomly, from Tesco, for a 33 year old man, full NCB, 99 Astra SXi, skilled, living in Lincolnshire. One claim where recovery was made against the other driver put the premium up not at all.

My father was in that situation once and he actually forgot to tell the company about the claim - it cost him £2.

Of course, even if it put the premium up by £200, you should still tell the insurance company because, theoretically, it could give them a reason to declare the policy invalid.
Does my insurance go up if I'm hit? - robZilla
I was involved in an accident where my car was written off, the other driver admitted liability. My insurers recovered all the money (£5,000) from the other guy's insurance and payed for 5 weeks car hire (~£1,400) for me while I waited for the cheque and got myself a new motor. My premium is exactly the same now as what it was before the accident.