Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - Patientlady

Any help would be appreciated

I have a van, which was my husbands who has passed away. It is no longer insured or taxed, but parked on my drive and I wish to sell it, say through Gumtree

How can I do this safely through Covid19. I have been putting this off for a while.

Should I SORN it before advertising it up for sale?

How should I let someone test drive it because it is not taxed or insured. It does have 6 months MOT?

I assume I should insist on cash?

Hopefully I have covered what is necessary, thank you for any assistance

Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - Galaxy

I'm very sorry to hear about your husbands passing - My condolences.

Quite honestly in your position I'd sell it to a dealer or trader. They will have their own insurance and trade plates so won't need to worry about tax and insurance. They'll probably take it away on a transporter, anyway.

You won't get as much for it as you probably would selling it privately but do you really want all the problems and aggravation that are associated with doing this?

Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - elekie&a/c doctor
Good advice above . But you do need to Sorn it whatever happens .
Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - johncyprus

A friend of mine recently sold a van on Gumtree and was inundated with messages from members of the travelling community. He did sell it to one such member and the negotiating process was unpleasant an experience which would be awful for you.

As above, dispose of through the trade.

Edited by johncyprus on 17/03/2021 at 14:20

Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - Patientlady

Thank you for your reply, an eye opener and as said above this does seem the way forward - thank you

Thank you for your reply I have now SORN the van on your advice

Thank you so much for your reply, and all makes sense

Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - RT

As it's not taxed or insured, it needs SORNing anyway otherwise it may incur liability for back-tax.

It can't legally be driven (apart from a trader on trade plates) as it's not insured in its own right.

As others suggest, easiest to sell it to a trader.

Ford Transit Connect 2008 - Selling privately a van thats is not insured/taxed - mcb100
As above, sell it to a trader.

There are horror stories from Facebook Marketplace/Gumtree sales of gangs arriving and distracting the owner whilst pouring oil into the expansion tank to make it look like the head gasket has blown, or spraying oil into the exhaust pipe to give the impression of a worn engine.

Yes, you’ll get less for it, but van prices for both new and used are strong at the moment and it may not be much of a drop in price.

Edited by mcb100 on 17/03/2021 at 15:55