VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - wonderwheels
What is the recommended interval for the timing belt and tensioner on a 2001 Passat (Y-reg) 1.9TDi PD (130). Asked the dealer and they said 60,000 miles. I am sure the handbook says 40,000. Don't want to take any chances.I've had enough grief with this car to last a lifetime.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - sean
40,000 miles wonderwheels.

Dealers often say 60, but don't often check that it's a PD.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - Pat L
Sean

I have an Audi A4 1.9 TDi 115 PD and the handbook says 60k. Phoned dealer last week and was told 60k. I would appreciate your advice. Car has now done 35k and has had 5k oil/filter changes.

Cheers

Pat
I have seen the misery caused by a snapped cambelt ALL TOO OFTEN.

If the belt goes before the maker's recommended mileage, dealers tend to "find things" which made it snap.

These things can be oil leakage onto the belt from the camshaft end seal.

The water pump bearings being a bit tight, loose etc. Antifreeze getting onto the belt.

The text book answer I have to give you is VISIT your dealer, armed with your engine code. Look on the microfiche at the recommendation and do that.

If it was my car, I'd change it.

The pumpe deuse injectors put a LOT more strain on the belt than an ordinary set would. The belt drives the camshaft which also operates the PDs. A normal injector puts no load at all on the belt.
Thanks Sean. As it happens I'm in the dealers tomorrow for an oil/filter change (I'm sure they think I'm wasting my money!) so I'll double check.

Pat
Sorry to harp on Pat.

Your car may well be fine at 60k.

It's bit like tyres. Legal minimum 1.6mm across three quarters of the width and continuous around the circumference.

You could drive with tyres just within that, but would you?

In fairness, the belts are pretty tough, I just don't like nasty surprises.

Your engine is valued at about £4k, BTW.

Good luck mate.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - topaktas
And for a 1999 Passat 1.8 SE (petrol)?
Sean

Been to dealers today and checked as I was paying for the oil change. Service manager said all 1.9 TDi engines have a 60k cambelt interval, except on the A3 where it is 40k due to different design (less space apparently).

Incidentally, the new A3 looks great, though not cheap - £19k for 2.0 TDi SE 3 dr.

Pat
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - Jes
I've got a 115BHP TDI Sport and I had to prompt the VW dealer as to when the belt should be changed. I was amazed that the dealer never offered it (mine is a company car supplied via Lex)when I booked in for the 60k service. I enlightened them that it should be them offering the advice on having the belt change, not me. If looks could kill, I'd be dead by now!!!

According to my handbook, it says 60k.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - Malcolm_L
New A3 is superb - I was in Munich earlier this year, unfortunately they ran out of Astra's and I had a free upgrade to a new A3 2.0 TDI.
Infinitely better engine than the 130 PD, more progressive pick-up across the range, torque curve appears to be more linear and fuel consumption was minimal, especially considering it was 4 up and I was keeping up with traffic ;-)

Mal
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - Malcolm_L
I spoke to VW Customer services who referred me to their technical department.

PD engines post May 2001 are all 60k intervals, PD engines prior to this are 40k intervals.

I queried this as the car may have been built in April and sold in June, they had my registration on their database and confirmed that the car was built in June - apparently even if you imported the car, if you give them the VIN they can tell you
whether it's a 40 or 60k cambelt.

FYI Tel No: 0800 711811
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - mark
Just called this number as the issue of a belt change has been bugging me ever since the 40k service on my 2001 1.9 tdi pd Passat when the handbook said it was due, "oh no its not said the VW main dealer"

So phoned up a young lady answered and I asked if she could tell me when the belt was due for a change. She replied "that VW do not specify an interval for change it is dependant upon an inspection" that is supposed to be carried at the service. Hmmmm. I asked how could I know if this had been done and she told me that I could ring the service department at the garage concerned and ask if they had done it or book the car in for an inspection. This is worrying as her reply suggests that although an inspection is used to determine belt condition there might be times when the inspection is not done.

I pointed out that the handbook clearly stated a change interval all I wanted to do was confirm this was correct or otherwise and she would not commit herself.

Now starting to feel quite paranoid about this as 2 main dealers and VW HQ have all offered different versions of what should happen with regards to the belt change. Looks like the 505.001 oil confusion all over again. Well done VW.

As ever

Mark
Mark,

You are right that a multiplicity of engines, all denoted 1.9TDi has caused confusion.

The text book answer is "VISIT your dealer armed with engine code and obtain the advice".

I would add, write a piece of paper, such as "I confirm that Mark has asked me today about changing his cambelt and confirm that this is not due until..... miles."

See if they will sign it for you (Unlikely) but at least get the name of who told you the information.

It shouldn't be like this, but we're talking a wrecked engine here, if it goes wrong. The engine code letters bring up a proper service database, so there's no confusion for the dealer, it's just a hassle getting the right info for you.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - oldtoffee
Hi,

Just to confuse further.

I emailed my local VW agent to book the 2nd cam belt change at 80K (they carried out the first cam belt change at 40K on my Feb 2000 115 PD) and they replied:

>Good afternoon, In regards to your car, the first cambelt we placed on yours is a modified cambelt. The cambelt is now due to be replaced at 100,000 miles.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - BB
My belt snapped at 119000 miles. 1000 miles before it was due.Tensioner was at fault.

My advice, get it done asap, you dont want to be sat at the side of a motorway for a couple of hours and then get towed to a VW garage to be relieved of £300 for what it a relatively cheap fix at most independent garages.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - DavidHM
£300 would be cheap for a fix after a snapped belt on any car and any garage. It's probably at the top end of what a VW franchise would charge for a belt change when the engine is still in one piece.

I dread to think what the cost would be if a belt snapped, but probably four figures isn't too silly.
Hi David double the £300 figure and you are getting near what my VW main dealer quoted for the belt change at my impending 60K service for my 2001 PD TDI Passat, the rest of the service would be charged on top.

If I can find one to do it for £300 I would rip their proverbial arm off.

I will start phoning around VW dealers as the service is getting nearer :(

as ever

Mark
Mark

My local VW dealer wants £205 for the timing belt and tensioner changed. Bearing in mind that the parts alone are around £70, this is pretty good value for money. I'd shop around. The same dealer charged £70 for the 30K service.Another main dealer wanted £125.
VW Passat 1.9TDi (130) PD - L.Cleaver1
Mark
My local VW dealer wants £205 for the timing belt and
tensioner changed. Bearing in mind that the parts alone are around
£70, this is pretty good value for money. I'd shop around.
The same dealer charged £70 for the 30K service.Another main dealer
wanted £125.

Where is this dealership - sounds worth travelling to! Would the cost be about the same for a 115 PD?
It's the Arnold Clark VW Dealership in Renfrewshire (outside Glasgow). 4 VW dealerships in a 40 mile radius. 2 x Verve, 1 x Ingram and 1 x Arnold. Arnold seems to have got it right!!
Wonderwheels

Whoo Hooo! that is cheap and I did use the Arnold Clark at Greenock/Port Glasgow for the 40k service much cheaper than usual £178 all in including all the filters etc which is about the cost of a lesser 20k service here in Cheshire.

I do get to Greenock on business occasionally I will just have to get my next trip near the service interval and I will be quids in. Many thanks

as ever

Mark