Automec brake fluid - Max Brown
Further to the reference in your column last weekend, I obtained information and local stockists from Automec. As an engineer and keen classic enthusiast with a dislike of garages, the product seems a dream - flush it through as it mixes with conventional fluid and then leave for "life".
Contacting stockists left me much less enthusiastic! Feedback ranged from "don't stock it anymore mate - no demand" to "it's allright for old cars but not so sure about moderns" - and they are selling it!!
What's going on? Is it really OK to use on cars with ABS, ASP etc? I was intending to use it on our Rover 214 and Audi A8.

Kind regards,

Max Brown.
RE: Automec brake fluid - John Slaughter
As a fellow engineer, I agree that the advantages of silicone fluid make you wonder why it's not a standard production item. I've certainly used it in my classic for the last 3 years, and I have been considering putting it in my everyday car.

I 'd think it's best to flush a system that's been used with normal fluid (use meths, but pump it through well when you refill!) as it doesn't mix too well, and leaving a residue of old hygroscopic fliud in place doesn't give the full benefit.

As for the 'don't stock it now mate', I guess that the fact that people buy a litre, change the fluid, and have enough left for a few years topping up. I'm pretty sure it's available from classic car spares dealers, but for the above reason I've not bought any for a while.

I have heard the odd niggle (unconfirmed) about it's use as regards difficulty bleeding systems, and 'soft' brake pedals but I have to say I've no experience of that myself. Perhaps there's some issue with viscosity diferences or something that affects ABS, but it's DOT 4 or 5 approved, so would seem to be perfectly acceptable. I'm sure someone out there can advise.

Regards

John