Grand Prix Nutter - Ian (Cape Town)
I can't see another thread about this, so here goes ...
I was almost sick yesterday as i watched Mr Crazy running down the track. I was a nipper when Tom Pryce was killed at Kyalami when he hit a marshall (1977 SA GP), and I recall seeing the footgae on TV that night, after returning from the track - marshall's head one way, legs another, torso another ... I had nightmares for weeks.
Fortunately the nutter was apprehended, but one has to wonder what would have happened had he 'collected' a car?
Grand Prix Nutter - Clanger
Couldn't possible have been hired by Bernie Ecclestone to discredit security arrangements at Silverstone?

No? Of course not.

And he would have almost certainly been killed. And entirely his own fault.
H.
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Grand Prix Nutter - Altea Ego
Couldn\'t possible have been hired by Bernie Ecclestone to
discredit security arrangements at Silverstone?
No? Of course not.

Perish the thought, tho as the intruder was Irish, perhaps Bernie was his leprechaun?

Anyway, stunning race every driver was up for it..best GP since Senna won in the rain at Donnington.
Grand Prix Nutter - Maz
And he would have almost certainly been killed. And entirely his own fault.

Agreed Hawkeye, but the tragedy would have been the driver who hit him would have almost certainly been killed too.

I really hope a long custodial sentence is passed, although I fear the offence of aggravated trespass may not allow it. In the US the offence would have been reckless endangerment I guess.
"Agreed Hawkeye, but the tragedy would have been the driver who hit him would have almost certainly been killed too."

Actually, thats doubtful. Given the shape of an F1 car, and the protection offered by the tub, the driver would probably* have survived quite easily (physically that is - who knows how it would effect him mentally)

There was a case of an driver killed, but this was because he hit a marshal carrying a fire extinquisher, the driver was killed by the extinquisher.

*but then fate is a strange bed fellow, Senna should have survived his crash, but a piece of suspension entered his helmet I understand. Nikki Lauda should have died in his crash but didnt.
"I really hope a long custodial sentence is passed, although I fear the offence of aggravated trespass may not allow it."

3 months max i understand
Grand Prix Nutter - SjB {P}
On ITV coverage at least, the worst bit was that the camera picked it up for a split second, and the commentator just had time to exclaim "Oh no", and we switched to an advert break.

I was convinced that we would be returning to a stopped race with at least one fatality, and never has an advert break dragged so much! It was almost unbearable, and I certainly couldn't tell you what the advertised products were.

On ITV coverage at least, the worst bit was that the
camera picked it up for a split second, and the commentator
just had time to exclaim "Oh no", and we switched to
an advert break.
I was convinced that we would be returning to a stopped
race with at least one fatality, and never has an advert
break dragged so much! It was almost unbearable, and I
certainly couldn't tell you what the advertised products were.

Have to agree 100% here. ITV's add break timing was terrible all afternoon
Grand Prix Nutter - Ian (Cape Town)
On ITV coverage at least...we switched to
an advert break.

I think this is a standard policy for TV stations - it is the 'deny them the oxygen of publicity' theory. I know it occurs in cricket/rugby etc when the streakers come on.
By the way, trespassing on Australian Cricket ovals during a test gets you a massive fine - $20 000 or thereabouts, IIRC.
Would be a good theory except they showed the nutter when they came back on air!
Grand Prix Nutter - Clanger
I'm with Renault family here, I don't think the driver would be at too much risk unless he caught Coulthard without the Airfix protection moulding. That would be unlucky.

Lauda - luck to get away with it; fortunately continuing a giant contribution to the sport.

Senna - a heartbreaking tragedy, compounded by the feeble attempts by Italian beaurocracy to sue Frank Williams for years after the event.

H.
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Grand Prix Nutter - A Dent{P}
I think the reason ITV went to adverts was to prevent a live suicide attempt on air. That would have spoilt may peoples tea and as the originator pointed out many would have found it traumatic.
This fellow should be sectioned under the mental health act because I believe it was a suicide attempt, no protest would have been so important that you run out in front of a 180mph car.
His family should have our sympathy.
Grand Prix Nutter - Rob C
Could it have been a trial of a new F1 rule for next season? To try and spice things up by having someone dressed as a national stereotype jump out on the track.
Grand Prix Nutter - Rob C
>>no protest would have been so important that you run out in front of a 180mph car.<<

..or the King's horse
Grand Prix Nutter - Steve G
Like a previous post said after the quick climpse before cutting to the adverts it made you really fearful of what the coverage was going to return to.
Thankfully no one was hurt (and there's no doubt drivers lives were at stake just as much the protestor IMO).
Lets hope we have a few more races like that one (without the protestor).
My moneys on Montoya now -the most consistent and he knows how to win championships after his Champ Car years.
Just heard Wilson has been signed by Jaguar for the rest of this year.... good news for British supporters.