Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - Joanne Jackson

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place I am new and not done this before.

I am looking for some advice. I bought a second hand car from a dealer 2 weeks ago and something doesn't seem right with it. I am only allowed to drive automatics and this is a corsa D breeze 2008. Easytronic so semi auto very similar to my last car.

When I am driving it, the revvs in between gear changes are high and it's as though there is a delay in it finding the gear but then once it changes it's ok.

Not every time but often. Also, sometimes when just pulling off from junctions etc in first gear the car will jerk or kangaroo a bit.

I asked a neighbour for advice and he said it sounded as if the clutch needs bleeding but all my googling is pointing towards transmission problems and if this is the case, I have 31 days gearbox and engine warranty off the car sales man and I am wondering if I should try to take it back.

I have put a fault code reader on and it shows none present so would I be able to return this car as I have no proof there's anything wrong with it but it definitely isn't right but I am quite nervous and hate confrontation too.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - craig-pd130

You could say to the supplying dealer that the gearchange is not right, describe the symptoms as you have done here, and ask them to investigate. Don't be fobbed off with "they all do that," because they don't.

In reality, the Sale of Goods Act states that any fault which develops within 6 months of you purchasing the car is assumed to have been present when the car was sold to you - so you do have extra comeback.

It does sound like the gearbox actuators need a fluid change, as a minimum.

Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - pd

You certainly do not have 6 months comeback on any fault on a 13 year old car but something like a non functioning gearbox soon after purchase you probably do.

It doesn't sound right to me. I avoid these cars and gearboxes so can't remember even having driven one so can't say 100% for sure what they are like but I would get them to look at it and stand your ground if it is not right.

Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - nellyjak

As above...^^^...you do really need to get the dealer to investigate...I understand that it's a common fault (actuator) and it just doesn't sound right at all.

Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - daveyK_UK
Consider paying for a AA or RAC report and read up on rejecting the car.
Once you have informed yourself on how to reject a car, tell the dealer you are considering this option if they do not act (do it in writing, recorded delivery,etc).
I think there is advice on this site.

How much did you pay for it?
Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - John Boy

www.honestjohn.co.uk/problems-with-a-new-or-used-c.../

Vauxhall Corsa - Advice on car bought 2 weeks ago please - VengaPete

Hi Joanne

Welcome to the forum

An "Easytronic" is essentially a manual gearbox and clutch assembly with some electronic "gubbins" ( motors / relays and things like that) that do the task a human would do in a manual car ie: pressing the clutch, choosing a gear, moving the gearbox shafts to select the gear and then letting the clutch re-engage the engine power while balancing the throttle input.
Manufacturers tend to use automated manuals on lower power / city cars to maintain fuel efficiency and not sap to much power from the low power engines.

The decision to change gear is done by electronic control units (computers etc) that measures things like engine speed / are you braking / throttle position / engine temperature etc to decide what gear it thinks you want and suits the current conditions (ie: it won't let itself change from 4th to 1st as this could damage the engine)

The Vauxhall Easytronic has a mixed reliability history and has anecdotally on various forums more than its fair share of failures.

Automated manuals can have a bit of a "jerky" change and be a little indecisive when they change which can cause revving but it does sound like yours is a bit beyond "normal" jerkiness.

As you have an auto licence only (becoming more common due to hybrid and electric vehicles) , I'll explain kangarooing when pulling away in a manual car is caused by a mismatch of engine speed to clutch position so it does sound like either the clutch needs some work or the gubbins doing the changing need work to get it changing a little more smoothly.

If you get a good one of these they are every easy to drive and almost as smooth as a "proper" old style torque converter automatic.

As others have indicated, first action should be to alert the seller of the issue and give them an opportunity to fix it. If it is a reputable dealer they "should" be willing to listen.
As you indicate they said a 31 day warranty, this is contrary to the current sale of goods act which is law in the UK and it sounds like they may give you excuses rather than fixes. For a major fault like this, the SOGA act DOES apply, despite it being an older car.
Availing yourself of SOGA rules regarding used cars might help you have confidence before approaching seller

Good luck and please do come back and let the forum know what happens