Avant - Stackman II

I am very sorry to relate that Avant, the esteemed moderator of the Backroom, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at his home in Dorset yesterday.

I have known Avant since he moved to our village about 15 years ago. Although I have been a member of this forum for many years I only discovered Avant's identity a couple of years ago.

He had posted some comments which allowed me to identify him and whilst chatting at a party I asked him about his “secret identity”. He was very self-deprecating about his good work here and I hope I managed to convey how much his work was appreciated.

Unlike many incomers Avant and his wife were very keen to fit in and take part in village life and quickly became part of the fabric of our community.

He was a very talented musician, playing in many village activities including the pantomime and ran the church choir. He played the organ at my daughter's wedding.

Avant will be greatly missed not only by his family but by the community in which he lived and our virtual community here.

RIP Avant.

Avant - catsdad

He will be sorely missed here. With HJ himself moving on Avant was very much the human touch that set this site apart.

RIP indeed.

Avant - badbusdriver
Goodness me, that is terrible news.

Condolences to his family.
Avant - FP

Is this genuine?

Avant - Andrew-T

Is this genuine?

If not, I'm sure he will tell us.

Avant - FP

I'm happy to accept the news as genuine - well, perhaps not happy. I'm sorry to have appeared cynical and have apologised in the other section.

Avant's death is indeed a terrible event for us who post fairly frequently here and, like many, my presence goes back well before the time he became moderator. He managed what is a delicate and thankless task at best with aplomb. I was well aware of his other interests in life and felt a connection with his work as an organist.

Articulate, aware, well-informed and genuinely interested in motoring, he brought a common-sense approach to life as well as to the Back Room forum. They say no-one is irreplaceable, but his loss is huge and he will be sorely missed.

Avant - Andrew-T
Goodness me, that is terrible news. Condolences to his family.

Absolutely. What will we do without him ?

Avant - Alby Back
So sorry to hear that. One of the most pleasant and entertaining people I've ever had the privilege to meet on the Internet. He will be very sadly missed.
Avant - Gibbo_Wirral

Terrible news, RIP and thanks for everything you've done on here.

Avant - KB.

The question was asked above ... "Is this genuine?"

I obviously can't say for sure but the information given in the opening post does, most certainly, correspond with the background information I know of.

In which case I am truly shocked and saddened and can only extend the very sincerest good wishes and genuinely felt sympathy to his wife and family.

I am genuinely saddened. He was, indeed , exceptionally kind and generous on this forum and, without a shadow of doubt, will be hugely missed at home and in the village.

Avant - Heidfirst

RIP. He will be missed - please pass on condolences to the family.

Avant - RT

I'm just lost for words

RIP Avant

Avant - _

I hope this isn't true, but maybe just.

Myself and another contributor had an email from Avant a few days ago, proposing that he would put us forward to be given moderators rights, I was told who the other contributor is, and perhaps he was told who i was.

Coincidence?

In any case Avant was always courteous and kind when replying to me whenever I had any comments and concerns.

He knew who i am, and had my other details as well, as do some other contributors here.

My sincere condolences to his wife and daughter(s)

ORB.

Avant - Xileno

This is appalling news, even though I never met him he came across as a true gentleman.

Just to quash any rumours, I was the other member that ORB refers to. I wrote to Avant a good while ago raising my concerns that having been a member of this forum for many years (since 2003/4 I think), I was concerned that the amount of spam the site attracts was degrading it.

After some discussion, Avant was going to set me up with moderating rights to delete spam. I hadn't realised until Monday evening when I was copied into an email that ORB was to be as well.

It doesn't seem appropriate to discuss this at the moment but I'm happy to pursue that role (as I'm sure ORB is) if that's still considered useful by the site owners and forum members.

Deepest condolences to his wife and his daughters and son.

Update: Both ORB and myself have both emailed the editor to confirm we are both still very happy to proceed should that be what the site owners want, if only on a temporary basis until matters are stabilised following the tragic death of Avant.

Still difficult to take this all in. What a dreadful loss.

Edited by Xileno on 11/03/2021 at 15:38

Avant - brum

Shocked, never ever thought that would happen. Condolences to all his family and close friends. I hope the OP is able to pass on all the messages of sympathy and gratitude for his years of service here to his family. He will be sorely missed. RIP Avant

I wonder what will happen with the site moderation now? Without dear Avant, I hope the spamsters don't take over.

Edited by brum on 11/03/2021 at 13:04

Avant - barney100

Awful news, R.I.P Avant.

Avant - chesterfieldhouse

As a regular reader & sometime poster on here you build up a mental picture of people. Avant was always fair & consistent with his moderation & seemed to be a nice guy. Looks like l was close to the mark.

Avant - Oli rag

That's shocking news. Sorry to his family and he will be badly missed here.

Avant - Chris M

This is very sad news.

Avant was an exceptionally good moderator and always came across as polite even when dealing with difficult posters. If the two proposed moderators are half as good, this forum will be ok.

Avant - craig-pd130

That's shocking news. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Avant - Metropolis.
So sorry to hear this, Avant was the perfect gentleman as a moderator and contributor to this site and will be deeply missed. Rest in peace Avant, sincere condolences to the family.
Avant - John F

What shocking news. Avant was indeed a wise and fair moderator. He will be sorely missed and leaves some very large shoes to step into. I hope someone with closer knowledge of him than I will cut and paste this thread so that his nearest and dearest can be aware of our appreciation.

Avant - Zippy123

Very sad news indeed.

Avant was the cornerstone of this forum. Fair, balanced and full of knowledge.

RIP.

Avant - movilogo

Saddened and shocked to hear this. May his soul rest in peace.

Avant - blindspot

so sorry . a real gentleman

Avant - RickyBoy

Both shocked and saddened by this news. An event you never, ever contemplate when communicating on virtual forums?!

Clearly, we'd never met, but, I certainly had a good deal of empathy with him regarding his learned and measured responses to any number of questions I've posed here over the years, and consequently held a good deal of respect for him.

Sincere condolences to his family & friends. I have no doubt that 'such a good bloke' will be sorely missed by all...

Avant - sammy1

Avant-a safe pair of hands! My condolences to his family. He must have been a great credit them as he has been to this forum.

Avant - Steveieb
Such dreadful news to lose someone who has done so much over the years to keep the site on an even keel.
And do soon after losing Gordon Bennet who decided that the time was right for him to concentrate on other things.
Avant would have done we'll in the Diplomatic Service, the way he defused tricky situations but when I asked him about his career he told me he was an accountant with one of the major firms by profession and was sent in to sort out what was left of British Leyland.
He took his name from his Audi Avant which he owned many years ago but remained one of his favourite cars.
I pride myself in guessing which car he was going to buy for his wife. Another Audi but this time an A1
But will we ever find his identity? I've often thought about calling in at Whitworth s Flour mill to see if I could track down Gordon Bennett !
Avant - Mr D Og

A true gentleman - he will be sorely missed.

Avant - Waino

As others have described, I had also built up a picture of a fair and decent man; I am saddened to learn of Avant's passing.

Avant - grahamw

Shocked to hear this news, Avant was indeed a superb moderator and contributor to this forum.

Please pass on my sincere condolences to his family, he will be very much missed.

Avant - nellyjak

That's just shocking and sad news...,,so awful.

My sympathies go to his friends and family.

Avant - concrete

Just posted in the General section. To reiterate, very sad indeed. He sounded like a really nice bloke and an asset to the village. RIP indeed.

Cheers Concrete

Avant - SLO76
I’m very saddened to read this. Avant was a true gentleman and a keen intellect, he’ll be very much missed. RIP.
Avant - John Boy

I'm really sorry to hear that too. I've been a forum moderator elsewhere - I didn't find it much fun and didn't stick it for long. Therefore I was a great admirer of Avant's skill in that respect.

Avant - Manatee

Sad news. He was a very level headed chap, and generously found time to keep this a pleasant place. Sympathy to his family and friends.

Avant - skidpan

Is this genuine?

If its genuine why on earth have the Forum owners not been on here with some form of announcement? Seem very uncaring considering the time he has put into the forum.

If it is genuine very sad news.

Avant - Senexdriver

Crikey - that is a real shock. Condolences to his family.

My dealings with Avant were always very positive and I echo the sentiments expressed by others about his moderator abilities. He remarked once that we had things in common, such as taste in types and makes in cars and that we had both raised 4 children. I felt he was the sort of chap I'd love to meet, but - if it were a possibility - sadly that will not now happen.

I don't know if the forum anonymity has to persist after death, but if he has an obituary I'd love to read it.

Avant - _

I don't know if the forum anonymity has to persist after death, but if he has an obituary I'd love to read it.

Probably a few people know who Avant was,..I do too, he did give me his home address a few years back, but I do not feel that this is the time or place to identify others on the forum, even if we know a few of them.

Avant - Andrew-T

Is this genuine?

If its genuine why on earth have the Forum owners not been on here with some form of announcement? Seem very uncaring considering the time he has put into the forum.

Among the great sadness we all feel at this news, I am slightly sad that some of us are so inured to spam that we doubt the veracity of the announcement. For me, there was more than enough information in the OP to show that it was genuine.

As regards the owners, I suspect they may take little notice of what goes on here. If they don't respond to this thread I presume that no-one has informed them.

Avant - skidpan

I am slightly sad that some of us are so inured to spam that we doubt the veracity of the announcement.

Why would I spam. Simply questioning why the owners appear to be so insensitive to what appears to be such sad news.

Avant - Andrew-T

I am slightly sad that some of us are so inured to spam that we doubt the veracity of the announcement.

Why would I spam. Simply questioning why the owners appear to be so insensitive to what appears to be such sad news.

I wasn't suggesting that. I wondered why you thought this news might be false.

Avant - _

They were told yesterday, and are rightly so checking, Tactfully I am sure,

David Ross will update us as soon as he can,

I had an email earlier giving just that information.

ORB

Avant - Xileno

I can also confirm unfortunately it's true.

Avant - nick62

What a terrible shock. A true gentleman and will be sorely missed. Only on Monday he replied personally on another thread and felt like a true friend.

RIP Avant and sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Avant - johncyprus

What shocking news. He was outstanding, it feels as if an old friend has passed away.

Avant - Doc

Very sad news.

I hope his family will be aware of our appreciation for his good work on this forum.

He will be missed.

Avant - Engineer Andy

I'm so sorry to here this sad news. He did this website and its backroom community a great service over many years as moderator, and will be greatly missed.

Stackman II - please pass on my most sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends.

Avant - Brit_in_Germany

Hopefully the site owners will have the courtesy to pass on this sad news to HJ.

Avant - Trilogy.

Very saddened to read this news, such a gentleman, and a very fair moderator. I know who he was, although I was never fortunate enough to meet him. A fine man gone too early.

Condolences to his family and friends. He'll be greatly missed on this forum too.

Avant - Metropolis.
Posted already on here but just to add, despite me sometimes (probably) being a bit of a marmite figure on the forum, Avant was ever courteous and always made me feel welcome. Like how a teacher observes squabbling kids :-) I feel genuine loss for a person whose name I will likely never know and whose face I will likely never see. Even when people have long-term illnesses (I am not suggesting this, I have no idea what he had and not attempting to speculate), the loss will only be sort of expected but also unexpected when it actually occurs. Taken far too soon.
Avant - Galaxy

I'm very saddened to hear this news.

Avant worked very hard for this forum over a period of a great many years often dealing with difficult matters in a sympathetic and professional manner. He always was very helpful to me in the relatively few dealings I've had with him during his time as moderator and I always found him very knowledgable and supportive. He was always a true gentleman.

I only ever knew him as Avant, I never knew his real name, but in spite of this I always considered him to be a friend.

His sad passing will, I believe, be a great loss to the HJ Forum. I just cannot believe that he is no longer with us.

My sincere condolences to all his friends and family.

R.I.P Avant

Avant - Xileno

I've sent a message to one of his daughters to express our condolences and that there's this thread running on the forum.

Avant - Stackman II

Just catching up with the thread after breaking the terrible news earlier.

When I heard yesterday my first response was to e-mail the site using editor@honestjohn address.

I held off posting generally in order to give the site a chance to check and make their own announcement.

In the meantime I had heard from separate sources confirmation and as no announcement was forthcoming decided to break the news myself.

Obviously I know Avant's real world identity but do not feel it appropriate to post it without talking to his family. I'm sure they have far more important things to think about at the moment.

I will make every effort to speak to his family at an appropriate time and pass on the sentiments expressed here.

During one of the conversations I had with him about the forum he said how humbled he was by the generosity and kindness of the great majority of the forum members who gave so freely of their time and knowledge to help others.

Avant - lucklesspedestrian

Just another occassional poster here to say how truly shocked and sorry I am to hear this awful news. Avant did a terrific job as moderator here, he seemed like one of life's genuine good guys and he will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences to his family.

Avant - AlexCaffe

I did not know this man, but I am sincerely sorry that he left our world. I believe that wherever he goes, everything will be fine with him. I believe that this person is happy, because he found peace.

Avant - focussed

I'm deeply shocked and saddened to hear this. From what I gathered about him from his occasional comments on mine and others posts here over the years he was a decent bloke.

I don't know what else to say.

RIP Avant.

Avant - Trilogy.

Perhaps the greatest sadness is he was only in his early 70s.

Avant - UCB
I am shocked and saddened by the news that Avant has passed on from this world. I am by no means a regular contributor to this forum, however I regularly read the comments and I was impressed by Avant’s balanced moderation and courteous manner. Condolences to his family and I trust they are able to take some small measure of comfort from the many thoughtful comments on this thread.
Avant - Smileyman

I a deeply saddened to read this news, it is important to remember behind every post, every comment is a real person. He will be missed.

I offer condolences to his family and friends who knew him.

Avant - cilvilservant

Haven't posted for years but still a regular reader. It's a great surprise and sadness to hear of Avant. He moderated the site beautifully and could be likened to the Speaker of the House. His tone and demeanour on the site suggested he was a lovely bloke.

Condolences to family and friends.

Avant - 3mpv

Really shocked to hear this sad news-Avant handled some tricky posts in such a calm and measured way-condolences to his family.R I P Avant.

Avant - Big John

Sad news indeed - RIP Avant

Avant - Xileno

I've had a reply back from one of Avant's daughters, in response to my message of condolence I sent yesterday. She wrote the following that I know many will appreciate reading - she has given me permission to post it.

"Wow that's lovely to read all that. I'll be sure to pass it through to my two brothers and sister. It's so strange to read about him as an anonymous person on a website but it's so heartwarming to know that despite not having met him, the Backroom contributors got a feeling of the man he was. A few of the comments about 'Avant' wondered what he was really like. He was full of humour, kindness and generosity and the world is a slightly smaller place without him. Thank you for getting in touch and letting me see the messages. I knew nothing about what he did on the site until today and so it was a lovely source of nice words about my favourite person at a very tough time."

Avant - bazza

Very saddened to hear. Can't add to all the comments and sentiments expressed above, but nice to know that our thoughts have been conveyed to his family, deepest condolences to his family too, he was obviously a great guy, will be greatly missed by all.

Avant - HJ Editor

Please note, we have posted a message about the very sad and sudden death of David (Avant) here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/145843/avant

Avant - veloceman
Very sad news. A thoroughly decent chap. RIP. Avant.
Avant - Mike H

Very sad news. I had the greatest respect for him, he was always fair and polite, and the perfect moderator. I drop in to read the forum nearly every day, although I rarely post, and know how much effort he put in. I'd like to have known him, he came across as a thorughly nice and likeable chap. RIP Avant, and condolences to his family who must be feeling their loss deeply.

Edited by Mike H on 12/03/2021 at 18:04

Avant - nailit

So sad to hear, I liked him, a truly unique kind person. Although I never met him,

RIP Avant.

Avant - expat

Very sad news. He came across as a gentleman and a diplomat. His work on this forum ensured that it was a useful and civilised place. By all accounts he was the type of person who made great contributions to everything he took part in. He will be very much missed.

Avant - chris87
I never met him personally, but like others have mentioned, he did come across as a kind, friendly and composed person. Condolences to his family.

RIP
Avant - Sprice

RIP. I'm not a member, but checked out of curiosity and they also have a thread on the splinter forum (c*******) too.

Avant - Bromptonaut

RIP. I'm not a member, but checked out of curiosity and they also have a thread on the splinter forum (c*******) too.

Not surprising given the overlap of membership. There's also a thread on the splinter's splinter.

Avant - _

What is the splinter?

and the splintered splinter?

Avant - Alby Back
I could tell you, but they'd have to kill me.

;-))
Avant - groaver

I haven't been on for a while but just read this.

Awful news.

I agree with all that's been said.

I hope you're enjoying your drive somewhere in your Audi, Avant.

A fine gentleman who'll be missed by all.

My condolences to his family and many friends.

Avant - Alby Back
Just to add, and please do not take this as any kind attempt at cheap promotion of any other websites, that Avant was also an active member of a couple of other motoring related forums that I too am involved with.

I am sure they/you won't mind my wanting to tell you all here that the members of those groups have also expressed their deep shock and sadness at his passing, and remember him as one of the most gentlemanly, friendly and entertaining contributors they have ever had the pleasure to spend online time with.

A good man who will be missed by many.

RIP
Avant - FP

To ORB:

The "splinter" is a group set up by some ex-Backroomers when the HJ forums became temporarily unavailable, I think because of software issues. That was back in 2002, I believe. the number of signed-up members must be quite small.

Subsequently, there was an offshoot from that group, though it seems to function rather half-heartedly.

It would be bad form to give out web addresses, but if you can get a message to my e-mail address via whoever is moderating at present (someone is removing spam) I will be very happy to inform you.

Edited by FP on 13/03/2021 at 15:32

Avant - _

To ORB:

The "splinter" is a group set up by some ex-Backroomers when the HJ forums became temporarily unavailable, I think because of software issues. That was back in 2002, I believe. the number of signed-up members must be quite small.

Subsequently, there was an offshoot from that group, though it seems to function rather half-heartedly.

It would be bad form to give out web addresses, but if you can get a message to my e-mail address via whoever is moderating at present (someone is removing spam) I will be very happy to inform you.

Thanks anyway.. there are clues out there and I eventually got there.. took a look, registered to see if functioning, but not for me I think.

With all the "Characters" on here (in a nice way.....) I feel at home enough.

That said, enough topic drift, methinks.

Avant - Alby Back
Absolutely understand your position ORB. Totally fair enough.

I however, quite like to pub crawl a bit. Different people ( well, some of them are ) and a different atmosphere in each one.

Here, it's mostly fairly serious, factual and jolly informative, another is a bit more about general chit chat, and the third is just a bunch of people talking random nonsense mainly.

But, I enjoy dipping in to all of them, they don't cross over much, and they all divert me from the harsh reality of life's mundanities.

I treat it a bit like watching sport. You may support a particular team but sometimes it's entertaining to go and see another one without giving up your season ticket.

I think our late friend understood and embraced that.

Jeez but I still can't quite get my head around his passing. I really liked him. Wish I'd met him in person.

Best to all, keep safe and well, at least there does seem to be an end in sight eh?

Avant - paul 1963

I'm rather late but my best wishes and deepest condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.

Avant - JonestHon

Difficult news indeed, a loss of a gentleman.

As a dyslectic he always made me welcomed with his immortal line: Spelling and Grammar - Let's not get exited

This line is something I take with me everywhere since starting to visit this site in the early noughties. Thank you Avant.

As to SPAM, I own few commercial web sites with a forum element and I can guarantee you that a moderator can do hardly nothing about preventing SPAM now days.

The SPAM prevention is done by the site tech in the engine room.

Avant - Miniman777
Terribly sad news. A highly respected leader of this forum who was generous with his knowledge..
He’ll be much missed.
Avant - MGspannerman

I haven’t been online for a few days and have only just caught up with this very sad news. I don’t post very often but just wanted to add my condolences to those of others. A sad loss of a true gentleman who gave great service here and was universally respected.

Avant - CitroenianAgain

Really saddened to read this news - I've not been around much since early 2000s and the days of THe Growler and the like, but Avant was a stalwart then and it's clear his support has kept the backroom to the nice place it still seems to be.

Rest in Peace Avant

Avant - Trilogy.

He died peacefully in his sleep. Thought people would like to know that. I can also confirm he had a brilliant sense of humour.

Avant - badbusdriver

He died peacefully in his sleep. Thought people would like to know that. I can also confirm he had a brilliant sense of humour.

That is good to know, presumably at home in his own bed then?.

Avant - _

That is good to know, presumably at home in his own bed then?.

Yes.

ORB

Avant - Stackman II

Anyone reading this weeks Autocar might like to peruse the letters page.

I am sure he would have been quite chuffed to have been awarded letter of the week.

Avant - Xileno

It would be good to put a copy up here but we will have to check with the HJ Editor about the copyright position, I'm no expert in that area.

Avant - Marlin1

Both companies are in the Haycar group as AIUI so it should be possible?

Avant - Heidfirst

Both companies are in the Haycar group as AIUI so it should be possible?

Heycar & Haymarket Media Group are not the same.

Avant - Engineer Andy

It would be good to put a copy up here but we will have to check with the HJ Editor about the copyright position, I'm no expert in that area.

I'm sure than some enterprising person who buys the paper copy (I couldn't find any 'letters page' on their website) could scan/photograph the page(s) and post them on a filehosting page, even on a temporary basis.

Avant - Galaxy

I've just found it online!

But I don't really know whether I can say exactly what I did on here for fear of upsetting the HJ Editor or the new moderators.

But I will say this. There are sites which allow you to download various magazines for free! If you do a Google search then you will probably find them!

Avant - groaver

Pressreader followed by dot com and a library card will let you see the magazine.

Avant - FP

What a lovely, lovely man.

Many thanks to Groaver for his hints, after which it was possible to do a little detective work, when "Avant" as a real person suddenly emerged.

After reading memorial pieces by his son and others, I am amazed at his talent, his energy and his devotion to public service. Photos show an avuncular man with a twinkle in his eye - not at all as I imagined him, though I'm not sure I ever had a very precise image in my mind.

He is summed up in these words: "contagious energy, enthusiasm and humour".

How he found the time to moderate the BR single-handedly I will never know.

Edited by FP on 04/04/2021 at 20:49

Avant - Xileno

"How he found the time to moderate the BR single-handedly I will never know."

I think to be honest he was getting a little frustrated, I detected that tone in one or two of his later posts which is why I contacted him again to offer assistance. Having seen now what he did particularly in terms of spam I can appreciate even more what he did and like ORB feel a bit guilty mentioning it.

Avant - Xileno

This is in the public domain but out of courtesy I contacted one of Avant's daughters and she is happy for me to post the link here.

media.acny.uk/media/news/post/2021/03/Octavo_April...f

What an inspirational man.

Avant / David RIP

Avant - focussed

Thank you for posting that, it's nice to be able to have a memory of the face and the man himself. RIP.

Funnily enough his real image is somewhat similar to how I imagined him to look.

Thanks again.

Avant - Trilogy.

Loved this segment.

Remembering David Duvall

Any attendee at any of the thousands of weddings he played for over the years, will have borne witness to what happened when the bride was late... The background music he would play on the organ would start to be interspersed by a few bars of certain tunes. If you weren't expecting it, it could pass you by with a possible passing thought of "Did I just hear that?" For those who heard it many times, it was possible to hear portions of "Why Are We Waiting", "Get Me To The Church On Time" and "Abide With Me". You knew the bride was really pushing her luck when you heard "The Day Thou Gavest, Lord Has Ended" played unashamedly in full.

Avant - badbusdriver

Thanks for posting that link. So nice to put a face to the 'username'. As Trilogy also mentioned, the section about late bride's was brilliant!.

But also, living a couple of doors down from Jimi Hendrix?!?!.............

Avant - badbusdriver

But going back to living a couple of doors down from Jimi Hendrix, I now find myself imagining Jimi knocking on Avant/David's door asking to borrow some sugar! ;-)

Edited by Xileno on 05/04/2021 at 15:18

Avant - Xileno

I've gone in and done a further tidy-up of posts.

Xileno, moderator

Edited by Xileno on 05/04/2021 at 15:56

Avant - Xileno

I've just been in contact with one of Avant's daughters. Should anyone wish to make a donation in memory of him (and of course the immense work he did as moderator for over ten years), then a charity he did a lot of work for was the RNLI.

For those who expressed an interest in his car magazines the family kindly offered, I will arrange to go and collect them sometime after the end of June.

Avant - Nsar1

I have been a member of this forum since about 2002, but have barely posted for about 15 years and just popped back in to ask a question and seen this sad news. I have derived much enjoyment from the forum, which is largely to do with the fair moderation. It is a harder job than you might think.

My condolences to Avant's family and those who kniew him well.

Life is short.

Avant - Nomag

I have also been a member of the forum for many years but have become an infrequent visitor in recent times.

I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to Avant's family. He always retained such a courteous approach to his moderating, and having read the tribute to him, it is clear he came across online exactly as in "real life".

RIP.