Vauxhall ECU Reprograming - Northern Gasman
Regarding the Vauxhall 2.2litre, Ecotec engine, 2002 model.

On a recent service visit to the main Vauxhall dealer i pointed out that my vehicle (fitted with this engine)on occations felt as if the power dropped off momentarily during hard acceleration.

When i picked up the car they told me that the technician had reprogrammed the ECU with the latest version of the software.

I am aware of the function of the ECU but wondered if anyone could enlighten me a bit more about what improvements i might expect if any.

Thanks in advance.
Vauxhall ECU Reprograming - sean
Hi NG.

I'd be amazed if you notice any difference whatsoever.

Much of the software is Siemens-based and tends be be modified for particular applications.

Running in the desert for umpteen hours promotes a certain symptom, so flags are inserted that, if coolant temperature is detected to be over "x" then fuelling is enriched to cool exhaust valves, radiator fan operation dwell increased by "y" and suchlike.

For 99.999999999% of us, no change as we never used that part of the ladder diagram before.

Occasional software housekeeping issues get corrected.

Sometimes intellectual property licences are expensive, so the prog runs someone else's to do the same job, if cheaper.

Not the best example as there are differences and improvements, but think of the basic Op System.
Windows 95, 98, 98 Second Edition, ME, etc
Win Nt,2000, XP.

Variations on a theme.
Vauxhall ECU Reprograming - Northern Gasman
Thank,s Sean.

Vauxhall ECU Reprograming - John S
Things is, NG, did it fix the problem?

I've just had the ECU of my Astra downloaded with the latest software to cure hesitation between 1500 and 2000 revs that made it a pain in traffic. Worked a treat, and has also reduced the previously quite high cold idle speed without upsetting the cold runing, so a double bonus, not that I'd ever mentioned this. Obviously this software is modified more often than you might imagine.

Regards

John S