Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - Jonathan Boyle

I am interested in buying a used Skoda Octavia Estate VRS Estate, the 2017 model I have seen is within my budget - it is priced at 10k. However, the reason it is in my budget is because of the high mileage (123k). It has full dealership service history, and the cambelt was changed at 119k miles. It was owned by Lex Auto Lease - so I presume it was an ex company vehicle.

Should I avoid this car, or is the mileage an issue? I don't do a massive amount of miles, but I might be travelling more to holidays in the UK, with COVID for the near future.

Also what other questions should I be asking the seller (its a very small one man band dealership). Thanks for any help.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - craig-pd130

As it's got evidence of a cambelt change, that's good. When you say you don't do a lot of miles, what does that mean? Generally speaking, diesel engines are not the ideal choice for lots of short trips.

My concern would the diesel particulate filter (DPF). 123K miles will mean it's probably quite full of ash, which means it may need replacement in the next year or so. I would get a rough estimate for the cost of DPF replacement and factor that into your negotiations.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - daveyjp

Agree with DPF, they are a consumable. Other consumable are DSG clutches. You also need evidence the DSG has had regular oil changes,

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - catsdad

The only one that matches the miles etc on AutoTrader is for sale in Nelson but that’s listed as a private sale. So it may be a different car but reinputting it’s reg no. into their sale price guide it’s over priced which means yours may be too?

if it is the same car the Mot govt site says it’s not been used much in the last year.

it might still be a good buy but check out the price and history. We hired exactly this spec of car in France a couple of years ago and it was very impressive to drive and very economical.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - Jonathan Boyle

do you have the link please and I'll let you know

I have copies of the service record, is there any way to upload the pictures?

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - Xileno

I have copies of the service record, is there any way to upload the pictures?

Not on this forum I'm afraid. You have to post to one of the many photo-hosting sites and then link to it.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - Ian_SW

It's worth bearing in mind that very few cars make it past 200000 miles, so £10k for a high mileage car, which is more than half used up, and was only about £25k when new sounds a bit steep to me.

On the positive side, you can be reasonably confident it won't have been clocked. However, the ongoing maintenance cost to take a car from 120k miles to 200k miles is likely to be higher than from a more average 40k miles to 120k.

Personally, I've never seen the attraction of the vRS diesel. It's not really much quicker than the 2.0TDI in non vRS trim, just looks more 'sporty', a less comfortable ride, and more expensive tyres.

If your mileage is going to be quite low and you want a vRS, I'd suggest going for the petrol version instead. It is properly quick, and not that different on fuel cost if you're only doing low mileage. They also seem a bit cheaper secondhand too and non potential issues with particulate filters.

Other option would be to look at the other trim levels which are cheaper and nearly as quick with the right engine choice.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - Avant

Seconded. I had both and preferred the petrol. The DSG on these is the more durable wet-clutch version, although the manual is livelier.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - brum

It's worth bearing in mind that very few cars make it past 200000 miles, so £10k for a high mileage car, which is more than half used up, and was only about £25k when new sounds a bit steep to me.

On the positive side, you can be reasonably confident it won't have been clocked. However, the ongoing maintenance cost to take a car from 120k miles to 200k miles is likely to be higher than from a more average 40k miles to 120k.

Agree entirely. We hold onto our 4 now 3 car Skoda fleet until they are just too expensive to keep going. Same with all our previous VAG cars. All mid range models, not a VRS

They usually go through what I call a mid life crisis at anywhere from 80k-120k. Usually brakes, suspension, springs, shock absorbers, wheel bearings but also got caught on a turbo (£1500 repair) Stressful but we get through that. 150k miles seems to be some kind of limit at which, things start to get "its not worth putting money into this any more"

Bear in mind a VRS has a higher stressed state of tune. It will invariably have been driven "enthusiastically" so suffered appropiate wear. I read that DPFs have a life of 120k on average, very expensive to replace. Depends on the fuel and oil used and how its been driven. Any DSG problem is likely going to be too expensive to repair. DSG failures come out of the blue. If its a 4x4 then the Haldex is probably shot by now, the official servicing on these is too little too late and they simply wear out too quickly.

Lease cars will have got just the basic servicing, no preventative measures that a clued up owner might do.

Head to Briskoda.net to get the full lowdown on these cars.

I would say its expensive in light of being ex lease and how much life is probably left IMO

thank you will try Briskoda.net

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - SLO76

Not what I’d sink £10k into. The DSG gearbox has a less than stellar reputation for longevity and being a modern turbo diesel there’s plenty of potential and very costly woe lurking under the bonnet. Forget image and outright performance, the priority when buying used should be reliability. I’d go for something older and lower in the miles and I’d go petrol if you’re doing a limited mileage.

Preservation of your investment is important too and a £10,000 car with over 120,000 miles is going to be hard work to sell on, especially with a gearbox that’s known to be fragile and very costly to repair or replace. A good used petrol estate such as a Mazda 6 2.0 skyactiv would be a vastly safer place to put your money.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102269496200

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008242861167

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103059769672

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102179147114

Edited by SLO76 on 09/03/2021 at 21:29

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - sammy1

You can get a 2107 Octavia with the 1.5 engine auto petrol for 7k miles for 12k. I would not give more than £6k for the diesel with that mileage

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - BPL

You can get a 2107 Octavia with the 1.5 engine auto petrol for 7k miles for 12k. I would not give more than £6k for the diesel with that mileage

The above suggestions are all a bit slower than a VRS though. Any suggestions to match the performance?
Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR 5DR DSG - Used 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Estate -High Mileage - sammy1

Any Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat petrol with the 2.0ltr turbo giving some 215 to 245bhp for the later models. Any VW Golf GTI is a good bet. A BMW 330i has some 245bhp

You will find that on the road you will often have little opportunity to exploit the full potential of the above and when you do fuel consumption suffers. Also insurance has also to be considered.

A 1.5turbo of 150bhp should have perfectly adequate performance and remember it is often more about the Torque delivered than the BHP