Hyundai Tucson (old model) - Just Bought a New - Marlin1

I have been looking at the forum for some time and have enjoyed reading contributions from ORB re his Kia and MG amongst others, so I have decided to join.

I have just bought a new Hyundai Tucson 1.6 diesel mild hybrid with almost 40% off list price (basically for Ford Fiesta money). The new 2021 model is amazing with but there are no serious discounts on it as it's so new.

It is the SE NAV model and comes with metallic paint.

I know the Tucson isn't the trendiest car but it is noticeably larger than the Ford Puma and VW TROC and its Seat or Skoda stablemates and cost less than a discounted Puma.

I did want, and would love an electric car but I don't think they're quite there yet, especially price and range wise and as I can cover lots of miles at unsociable hours as well as at rush hour and I want to be able to guarantee the ability to refuel - which I am sure will be available in 5 years time, but not quite yet - for me anyway and don't want to be an hour or two later home because I am 200 miles away from home and need a re-charge. Next time with 300kw charging as standard I probably will.

Because of COVID my mileage is going to be much more unpredictable so a lease wasn't practical this time - I don't want to over pay and do fewer miles or underpay and get hit with an excess mileage bill.

So I opted for PCP, which I can pay off right way and take advantage of the generous deposit allowance.

It does mean that I will have a depreciation risk but with the lower price and 5 year warranty it means that I shouldn't have to worry about buying another car for 5 years.

It will probably be my last diesel car.

I'll keep you updated with fuel consumption and running issues / good and bad.

Edited by Marlin1 on 07/03/2021 at 02:30

Hyundai Tucson (old model) - Just Bought a New - _

Good luck, (In the nicest possible way)

Do come back and tell us how it goes. Made in the same factory as my sportage i believe.

Sportage, no faults, no problems after 12 months.

Enjoy!

Edited by _ORB_ on 07/03/2021 at 08:02

Hyundai Tucson (old model) - Just Bought a New - Marlin1

It has taken a while to get the finance papers through to sign electronically.

I have had a good read and the car was advertised as a PCP deal but it isn't so.

It's a cash loan with a balloon payment and guaranteed future value for the car.

There are some issues with this.....

Firstly section 99 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 doesn't apply - i.e. you cant return the car after half the payments (half the total package) have been made.

Secondly - and more importantly, section 75 protection doesn't apply either.

To me, this seems a cheap move on Hyundai Personal Finances' part.