All - New cars and petrol option - sammy1

On HJ is a review of the new Hyundai Bayon and very nice it looks too! It does not appear to offer a straight petrol version only hybrid. I have noticed the same for the new Qashqai.

Are we heading to a situation where you cannot buy a NEW straight petrol car sooner rather than later?

All - New cars and petrol option - alan1302

On HJ is a review of the new Hyundai Bayon and very nice it looks too! It does not appear to offer a straight petrol version only hybrid. I have noticed the same for the new Qashqai.

Are we heading to a situation where you cannot buy a NEW straight petrol car sooner rather than later?

Yes

All - New cars and petrol option - Terry W

No manufacturer is now going to develop new ICE vehicles for the UK market.

The period over which development and investment costs can be recovered become increasingly limited, and ICE will anyway be a rapidly shrinking market well before 2030.

Current offerings and those well advanced in the development pipeline will continue to be available - but any model refresh or in-life upgrades are likely to be limited.

All - New cars and petrol option - badbusdriver

(Ignoring that this is already the case with Toyota and Lexus) As has been said, yes.

But given a mild hybrid can't run the car on electric power alone, only someone who is properly and unnecessarily phobic about hybrids and EV's would have any problem with a mild hybrid.

All - New cars and petrol option - bathtub tom

I'm phobic about the price of hybrids compared to pure ICE.

How does the release of the new Toyota RAV4 stack up with the green philosophy. A 2.5litre petrol engine with the hybrid battery?

All - New cars and petrol option - edlithgow

No manufacturer is now going to develop new ICE vehicles for the UK market.

I doubt they have done that since the demise pf BL, and even they didn't focus exclusively on the UK.

All - New cars and petrol option - Manatee

Petrol+electric is a clever idea as far as it goes. The electric motor can remove the need for emissions in congested areas and if so designed provide extra power when needed, so the ICE doesn't need to be high-powered and inefficient.

All - New cars and petrol option - Xileno

Agree totally, which is why I'm very attracted to the Evoque PHEV with its 3 cylinder 1.5 engine. The electric motor works on the rear axle which gives the 4x4 traction but it will do about 30 miles just on electric. Perfect for my needs locally or when I visit family in London, I can use petrol to where the M4 ends then electric from there to Hammersmith, I just wish I had more confidence in Land Rover reliability. The last Land Rover I had was perfect, never gave any problems but it was a 1968 Series 2 so about as complicated as a knife and fork.

All - New cars and petrol option - Big John

Petrol+electric is a clever idea as far as it goes. The electric motor can remove the need for emissions in congested areas and if so designed provide extra power when needed, so the ICE doesn't need to be high-powered and inefficient.

One problem can be that hybrids, especially plug in hybrids can be so heavy with having both ICE and electric motors/batteries that in real life use they are less efficient. I think Which produced a report about this recently.

Possibly less of an issue with milder hybrids. I know a lot of people who have various Toyota hybrids and they all love them. The Toyota oily bits are well designed - effectively an electric transaxle with an engine on the side. They all seem to get good real life economy and I've not known any of them have reliability issues.

Ultimately it'll be electric only soon though unless hydrogen car technology takes off in a big way.

All - New cars and petrol option - Bolt

I remember Toyota and Honda saying that the tech allows for an engine in a hybrid to be of lower emissions than a standard engine, and as Battery tech gets better the need to have the engine running will be less with regenerative braking, which they all use, will mean the engine wont be used as often...all clever stuff

All - New cars and petrol option - Avant

The list price of the 'ordinary' hybrid RAV-4 ranges from £31,000 to £38,000 -reasonably good value. But the plug-in RAV-4 starts, inexplicably, at £47,000. You can get a plug-in BMW X1 or Range Rover Evoque for less.

All - New cars and petrol option - skidpan

As readers will realise having owned a Skoda Superb PHEV for just over 4 months I am now happy to say that the PHEV concept is perfect for most owners providing they realise that by not plugging one in they will not get better mpg than a cheaper non PHEV version. I took some convincing and it was the offer of a great deal on a 3 week old pre-reg that persuaded me to buy but the car itself just convinces me it is the right one for us, much better than the 1.4 TSi we had previously.

I drove a Toyota RAV4 2 days before I drove the Superb and it was a close run decision. The RAV4 drove very well, much better than previous Toyota Hybrids I had experience of but the mpg on the dash after a 30 minute drive was a bit disappointing at 38 mpg (strait after the test I took the old Superb on the exact same route and it showed about 45 mpg). The RAV4 was very well equipped even in base Icon spec and at under £28K at a broker was well priced. Would have been happy with one but for the mirrors (so large that the car would not go in either garage with them folded out - not an issue with the Superb) and no height adjustable passenger seat (even the Fabia has one which was standard) not even on the top spec model. This one fact made it useless for the wife.

As for mild hybrids, why bother. The manufacturers admit they are simply a way of getting stop/start to work more reliably in the real world. They cannot run a single foot on electric only but they can shut the engine down at very low speeds approaching junctions (the stop/start bit). Extra complexity for no gain whatsoever. Take the Golf as an example. The mild hybrid versions actually only have a 2g CO2 emission figure lower than the ICE versions, WOW. In the Passat 1.5 TSi its £1600 extra for the DSG but in the Golf its only a £1300 difference for the mild hybrid and you get a DSG as standard, how does that work? Just shows there is actually very little (or no) technology involved.

All - New cars and petrol option - mcintosh

Probably. The new model Aygo is still petrol only - that’s probably because most of Toyota’s other cars are offered only as hybrids now (I think the only exceptions are the GT86 and the Landcruiser) so Toyota’s overall fleet emissions will still low be enough to avoid a fine..It’ll also keep down the cost of what is meant to be a cheap city runabout.

I suspect we’ll never again see a completely new (not revised) model with a pure petrol engine.

(I think the only exceptions are the GT86

GT86 discontinued.

How does the release of the new Toyota RAV4 stack up with the green philosophy. A 2.5litre petrol engine with the hybrid battery?

Going by the 'real mpg' figures on this website, the RAV4 2.5 hybrid does 49.8mpg for the 2wd and 46.8mpg for the 4wd.

The real mpg figures for the Kia Sportage fitted with the (in your terminology, 'straight') 1.6 petrol is 36.2 mpg.

The real mpg figures for the most efficient Sportage is 49.7mpg for the mild hybrid 1.6 turbo diesel with DCT transmission.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/03/2021 at 12:04

Going by the 'real mpg' figures on this website, the RAV4 2.5 hybrid does 49.8mpg for the 2wd and 46.8mpg for the 4wd.

Based on my brief experience I find that a bit difficult to believe. As I said earlier in this post I had one for about 30 minutes on a route I know well and got about 38 mpg. The battery has about 60% charge according to the dash so no problem there and it was a 4WD one (cannot see that making much difference since the rear axle is only powered when need and by the battery not the engine).

I thought that was reasonable for a big 4 x 4 SUV, the XC40 we had that was gain 4 x 4 but with less power only averaged about 29 mpg, pretty shocking.

Looked on real mpg the range is between 34 and 58 mpg, the people who got 58 mpg must live at the top of a hill and get the ting towed home.

I trust HJ Real mpg's I have always found them spot on. Superb 45 mpg, we got 45 mpg, Ceed CRDi 51 mpg, we got 51 mpg, no need to quote more. As I said above on the same test route as the RAV4 I got 45 mpg out of the Superb so I simply do not believe it could possibly average 46.8 mpg. Something very wrong with those figures, the smaller, lighter, less powerful but more aerodynamic Corolla Estate is only 51 mpg, a figure I can believe.

All - New cars and petrol option - Heidfirst

& yet What Car says that in their experience it even out-mpgs the new yaris hybrid in urban ...

"In our What Car? True MPG tests, the two-wheel-drive RAV4 hybrid achieved 49mpg overall, with an astonishing 91.9mpg in the urban section. That efficiency beats even Toyota’s own Yaris hybrid small car, let alone conventionally-powered SUV rivals. " www.whatcar.com/toyota/rav4/4x4/review/n130/buying...g

Obviously a lot comes down to how/where you drive it - if you drive largely urban then hybrids are good if you drive everywhere at 70mph then they aren't.

& the 2wd/4wd does make a difference - I imagine partly because the 4wd is only available on trim levels with larger wheels.

Edited by Heidfirst on 08/03/2021 at 12:59

I suspect we’ll never again see a completely new (not revised) model with a pure petrol engine

Despite what many customers, including me, will want petrol for the next 9 years. I think manufacturers are jumping the gun on this or the legislation is forcing them this way. I just do not want to buy an overly complicated very expensive hybrid. The saving on so called mpg for the electric side is peanuts compared with the thousands lost in depreciation.

If there is a major break through in EV or something else I can see these hybrid/Phevs becoming lemons and it will not be the manufacturers who loose out.

All - New cars and petrol option - RT

I suspect we’ll never again see a completely new (not revised) model with a pure petrol engine

Despite what many customers, including me, will want petrol for the next 9 years. I think manufacturers are jumping the gun on this or the legislation is forcing them this way. I just do not want to buy an overly complicated very expensive hybrid. The saving on so called mpg for the electric side is peanuts compared with the thousands lost in depreciation.

If there is a major break through in EV or something else I can see these hybrid/Phevs becoming lemons and it will not be the manufacturers who loose out.

The manufacturers aren't "jumping the gun" - since 2020, they get fined by the EU if the corporate mix of their models exceeds target CO2 emissions - by withdrawing pure petrol models they can reduce/eliminate these fines.

All - New cars and petrol option - Sulphur Man

"The manufacturers aren't "jumping the gun" - since 2020, they get fined by the EU if the corporate mix of their models exceeds target CO2 emissions - by withdrawing pure petrol models they can reduce/eliminate these fines."

An economist friend of mine raised an interesting theory on this over the weekend. He sees 2029 as potentially the greatest sales year ever for petrol cars.

I told him of the target CO2 emissions things and fines. He suggested that if the opportunity to sell 2 million petrol cars in 12-18 months is there, the fines may be worth the hit.

We also wondered about the grey import market. Will that be allowed in 2030? It could be VERY popular in the years running up to 2030....unless the Gov shuts the door on it.

All - New cars and petrol option - mcb100
I’m pretty sure Supra, in both engine sizes, is a non-hybrid. Neither is the Yaris GR.
Aygo is a straight petrol, and it’s replacement, at least 2 years away, is also anticipated to be non-hybrid, but with flexibility in its architecture to allow electrification.
They have enough hybrid presence to offset the lack of electric motors in these models.

Edited by mcb100 on 07/03/2021 at 12:03

The manufacturers aren't "jumping the gun" - since 2020, they get fined by the EU if the corporate mix of their models exceeds target CO2 emissions - by withdrawing pure petrol models they can reduce/eliminate these fines.

Exactly!. And to be perfectly honest, I think by far the majority of buyers couldn't give two hoots how complex the car is. Just a very small minority who want the manufacturers to accept said fines in order to get what they want.

As for mild hybrids, why bother. The manufacturers admit they are simply a way of getting stop/start to work more reliably in the real world. They cannot run a single foot on electric only but they can shut the engine down at very low speeds approaching junctions (the stop/start bit). Extra complexity for no gain whatsoever. Take the Golf as an example. The mild hybrid versions actually only have a 2g CO2 emission figure lower than the ICE versions, WOW.

What matters is avoiding these huge fines. If that 2g difference the mild hybrid makes means the difference between paying huge fines (for missing the emissions targets), or not paying huge fines, what would you do?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/03/2021 at 13:07

Exactly!. And to be perfectly honest, I think by far the majority of buyers couldn't give two hoots how complex the car is. Just a very small minority who want the manufacturers to accept said fines in order to get what they want.

Well when the big bills start coming for their overly complicated cars they will start caring and IF it comes widely known that certain cars are in fact lemons they will be difficult to sell. These overly complicated cars may be OK while they are in warranty but will be a different kettle of fish second hand! The poor punter won't know whether he needs a new engine or a battery.

There was me hoping to buy a new petrol car on the 31/12/2029!! better buy one now and mothball it. It might sell at twice the price come end of ICE.

When I see evidence of this unreliability manifesting itself in significant numbers, I’ll worry about it.
Prius, in various incarnations, has been for sale for 24 years now. From a manufacturer famed for their reliability, when Prius and Auris were the only hybrids in the range they were also the most reliable.
They don’t offer a 15 year warranty on the hybrid components because they expect them to fail.
All - New cars and petrol option - jc2

The Prius is a "series" hybrid-some what simpler than a "parallel" hybrid that a number of other cars are.

"Series" hybrid.The ICE does not drive the wheels- it only charges the battery which powers an electric motor that drives the wheels.IE.There is no direct connection between the IC engine and the wheels unlike a "parallel" where the wheels can be driven by either motor or both.

The Prius is a "series" hybrid-some what simpler than a "parallel" hybrid that a number of other cars are.

"Series" hybrid.The ICE does not drive the wheels- it only charges the battery which powers an electric motor that drives the wheels.IE.There is no direct connection between the IC engine and the wheels unlike a "parallel" where the wheels can be driven by either motor or both.

If that were the case why does the Prius and other Toyota Hybrids need a CVT transmission? If the electric motor powered the wheels directly no gearbox needed. That is how the Vauxhall Volt worked, engine powered battery, battery powered electric motors, electric motors drove the car.

Looking on the web it seems that the Prius is actually a "series-parallel hybrid" (don't ask) and the CVT transmission (actually a split power device whatever that is) works for both the electric motor and petrol engine powering the wheels meaning there is a connection between the wheels and petrol engine.

On a true "series" hybrid there is indeed no connection between the engine and the wheels, but the Prius is not one of these, would the Vauxhall Volt have qualified?

Well when the big bills start coming for their overly complicated cars they will start caring

Who will?, it certainly won't be those who owned the car first, because those people will be on to their next new toy. And it won't be the manufacturer, they don't care at all about whether or not the car is reliable once the warranty has expired.

IF it comes widely known that certain cars are in fact lemons they will be difficult to sell.

It might seem logical for a manufacturer who keeps churning out cars which invariably end up at the bottom of reliability surveys to suffer in terms of image and customer confidence. But Land Rover prove that isn't the case time and time again. If long term reliability mattered to most folk, nobody would buy one second hand, and if the ethics of a company who continually make unreliable cars mattered, nobody would buy them new either.

All - New cars and petrol option - madf

Well when the big bills start coming for their overly complicated cars they will start caring and IF it comes widely known that certain cars are in fact lemons they will be difficult to sell. These overly complicated cars may be OK while they are in warranty but will be a different kettle of fish second hand! The poor punter won't know whether he needs a new engine or a battery.

If that was true, Land Rovers would never sell when used.

Incorrect - the Toyota system will drive from ICE, petrol or by blending the two together - mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-toyota-hybrid-work/

Edited by mcb100 on 07/03/2021 at 15:56

"Series" hybrid.The ICE does not drive the wheels- it only charges the battery which powers an electric motor that drives the wheels.IE.There is no direct connection between the IC engine and the wheels unlike a "parallel" where the wheels can be driven by either motor or both. Incorrect - the Toyota system will drive from ICE, petrol or by blending the two together - mag.toyota.co.uk/how-does-toyota-hybrid-work/

Should have read to the bottom before posting. You got there first.

I’ve given up on the series/parallel terminology. In my world, a car is either a mild hybrid, full hybrid or range extender. The Toyota falls in the full hybrid category.

I'm sure there are others, but I can think of two hybrids where the ICE only charges the battery, the Vauxhall Ampera, and the range extender version of the BMW i3.

All - New cars and petrol option - Avant

And the forthcoming new version of the Nissan Qashqai. Logically it ought to avoid the Toyota hybrid problem of the revs going skywards if you accelerate hard.

To be fair, the last one I tried, the 2.0 Corolla, was better in this respect. I realised that there was no point in flooring it, as you didn't go any faster than when you accelerated more gently. But for a quick overtake it's quite hard not to.

All - New cars and petrol option - daveyjp

London EV taxis (and the van based on it) have an ICE which charges the battery.

London EV taxis (and the van based on it) have an ICE which charges the battery.

But does it only charge the battery?. I ask because the ICE in the current Honda Jazz can charge the battery like a range extender, but can also drive the wheels.

I thought the London Taxis used the same setup as the Volvo XC40 plug ins.

For the record you can use the ICE in the Superb iV to charge the battery if you wish. But why would you, mains charging is far cheaper.

For the record you can use the ICE in the Superb iV to charge the battery if you wish. But why would you, mains charging is far cheaper.

At the end of a long journey, you wanted to get into the centre of town on electric power?

At the end of a long journey, you wanted to get into the centre of town on electric power?

That would be the only reason but would it actually be less expensive than driving in on hybrid power? At town speeds with a battery with zero miles of battery it still glides along and pulls away without the petrol engine running for a decent amount of time thus little reduction in pollution.