what car 14k budget? - bristols john
I am looking to spend a max of 14K for a nearly new car for the mrs. She is dead set on a golf but I am a bit wary because of the new mk V next year. Can anyone recommend safe 5 door which feels luxurious and quiet nippy.

regards

John
what car 14k budget? - Blue {P}
Focus or Seat Leon.

Would go with a Focus myself... Nice interior, and if you get a decent engined Zetec model, then it also feels very nippy thanks to the sports seats and better suspension. :-)

Blue
what car 14k budget? - Liverpaul
Blue

Have to agree with you, with Focus or Leon being the two on my list. Again would go for the Focus, excellent drivers car, very pleased with mine, and as I have mentioned before the good lady wife wants one next (and she was very anti-ford before that), and the residuals aren't too bad either.

Paul
what car 14k budget? - hootie
I really should start reading properly, cos I was going to suggest a Honda Civic SE Sport, or Sport, which would come in at £13,000 and £13,500 OTR respectively.

Then, I realised that you want *nearly* new and 5 door DOH!
- It does come in a 5 door version for £13,000 for the SE and £14,000 in the SE Executive

(engine is 1.6 VTEC, and it does 0-62 in 10.3 secs. Combined fuel 42.8 - all according to the brochure)

You can see from my posts on here that I have a lot of Honda experience (no links with them though) and have been very pleased.

HJ's weekend column also recommended the new Mazda M2 1.4D TS, for an economical second car for commuting and family hol's "based on the new Fiesta platform, but looks much better and is considerably more enjoyable on the road" (£10,495)

Could I ask? what do you call "nippy"???

Personal opinion - not only wary of the Golf, but they're a bit of an 'obvious' choice? - not that I'm suggesting anything wrong with that though - merely that you have a good budget for a second car, and could think a bit further afield?

Anyway, tht might give you some room for thought before someone more knowledgeable comes along.

PS - I'm a Mrs too incase you didn't know!

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
what car 14k budget? - mmm-five
You could try the Honda Civic Type S which is quite well specced and has a decent turn of speed - handles weell too!

The Seat Leon Cupra is another good choice, but I think the Honda just beats it in the safety stakes.

Most of the major manufacturers have cars around the £14k mark which are very similar in performance, economy and safety, and come with 1.8l/2.0l litre petrol engines or 1.9l/2.0l turbo-diesel engines if you want a bit more economy and a little less oomph!
what car 14k budget? - daveyjp
As she appears smitten with the VAG brand consider the A2. Loads of ex demos around with 2-6000 miles for less than £14,000 and they are very well specced. They are just having a minor faclift too so pre facelift cars may drop in price.
what car 14k budget? - mmm-five
The A2 is a good motor but the requirements included luxurious and nippy - neither of which apply to the A2!
what car 14k budget? - kal
I would not go for a VW product, temting though they may be, just read the 50 or 60 threads on this web site would tell you that VAG dealers are arrogant, rude and impolite and do not care for good customer customer service. VW cars have over the years become a lot less reliable, VW reliability is only average no better than say Renault or Vauxhall.

I hate to say it but if it is relaibility you are after then you will almost definietly have to buy a Japanese product such as Honda or Toyota/Lexus (used).

Ford cars are good but watch out for heavy depreciation and that goes for most of the mass market brands.

If I was spending 14k I would go for a used 2 year old C class Mercedes auto....
what car 14k budget? - NitroBurner
bristols john

I'm biased because I've got one I suppose, but check out the Laguna 1.9dci 120 (6 speed 'box). Great performance & economy. Go for the Dynamique. 1/2 leather sports seats. Possibly the best car I've owned.
what car 14k budget? - James_Jameson
The New Renault Megane looks good - it's different and certainly not boringly anonymous. I had a good look over one the other day with a view to purchase; the quality seems excellent as is the equipment level and safety (look at the NCAP tests).

The diesel engine fuel consumption figures are good and they are quick and very smooth. Renaults are not too expensive to service either (a VW I had a while ago was very expensive and I didn't feel that the overall quality of the car lived up to the hype).